Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Winter/Spring 2013 (Model Output Discussion)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

jeltz wrote: »
    There was no need to worry.

They didn't understand how to in the first place.

I gave it a chance to see if anything worthwhile would develop , it has not so that's it, now back to the weather

Open a new thread if you want to discuss the virtues of forecasting models

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭jeltz

(stigmata)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

jeltz wrote: »
    (stigmata)

Banned for two weeks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Other than a cut of a low (bringing a short NW wind setup with it) on fri/sat and another similar next week the GFS mainly indicates an Atlantic influence for the mid month...
    looking at the 0z and 6z both.

The cuts may bring a flurry of hail and graupel for those who like that sort of thing. Make sure ye are out to enjoy it as it happens. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Wolfe_IRE

yep bob. Temps around average for the time of year with the jetstream bringing in southwesterlies, interspersed with occasional cooler w-nw's. A breezy 10 days or so ahead with frequent showers, and the east and northeast enjoying the best of any sunshine.

• Advertisement

Agree Wolfie.Best of the sunshine and of any Foehn warming for Dublin.

Dammit it could hit 17c there in the right setup which would make a right mess of my forecast in the monthly. :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

i-have-no-idea-what-is-going-on.jpg

I literally came in here to see what kind of winter we can expect, I have no idea what half of the posts are on about haha!! view;_ylt=A0PDode.7ZhQHFcA7sFNBQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTBlMTQ4cGxyBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1n?back=http%3A%2F%2Fuk.images.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3DI%2Bhave%2Bno%2Bidea%2Bwhat%2527s%2Bgoing%2Bon%2Bhere%26ei%3DUTF-8%26fr%3Dyfp-t-710%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D15&w=552&h=665&imgurl=troll.me%2Fimages%2Fdon-draper-says-what%2Fi-have-no-idea-what-is-going-on.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.troll.me%2F2011%2F09%2F08%2Fdon-draper-says-what%2Fi-have-no-idea-what-is-going-on%2F&size=35.8+KB&name=%3Cb%3EHAVE+NO+IDEA%3C%2Fb%3E%2C+%3Cb%3EWHAT+%3C%2Fb%3EIS+%3Cb%3EGOING+ON+%3C%2Fb%3E%7C+Don+Draper+Says+%3Cb%3EWhat+%3C%2Fb%3E%7C+Troll+Meme+...&p=I+have+no+idea+what%27s+going+on+here&oid=b86b82d0d52a85af07e72be7fcd3b715&fr2=&fr=yfp-t-710&tt=%253Cb%253EHAVE%2BNO%2BIDEA%253C%252Fb%253E%252C%2B%253Cb%253EWHAT%2B%253C%252Fb%253EIS%2B%253Cb%253EGOING%2BON%2B%253C%252Fb%253E%257C%2BDon%2BDraper%2BSays%2B%253Cb%253EWhat%2B%253C%252Fb%253E%257C%2BTroll%2BMeme%2B...&b=0&ni=72&no=15&ts=&tab=organic&sigr=12keihvsb&sigb=13v37nd3r&sigi=128or3k68&.crumb=v2pO7dyKYpN

You really should get a refund on that crap passport picture of yours you know. :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 237 ✭✭andre2010

Not sure if this is to be taken with a pinch of salt, or even where this came from. but nice"!!!!!

Noooooooo not that AGAIIIIIN. Baby Jebus he cries in minus 20s.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 237 ✭✭andre2010

oh let me guess, this has been posted before!!! sorry i didnt have a chance to read the 102 pages of comments. Apologies if i annoyed anyone by reposting, wasnt my intention guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Personally I would have gone -18.6C :p

I even saw that -20C article with two months of bad dandruff on twitter, it is everywhere. It is like a bad virus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

andre2010 wrote: »
    oh let me guess, this has been posted before!!! sorry i didnt have a chance to read the 102 pages of comments. Apologies if i annoyed anyone by reposting, wasnt my intention guys!

It's ok, I just laughed when I saw it again, it was posted earlier in this thread, but then most of us have posted stuff at one time or another that had been already posted before.

November remains on target to finish cooler than average after a cooler than average September and October. The coming days will see a rise in temperatures and a respite from the overnight frosts of recent days. Temperatures will dip again later this weekend and into next week, while next will also be more unsettled than the coming days will be. From 12 onwards, our weather will be dominated by the Jetstream with blustery southwesterly winds and heavy showers, interspersed with cooler, blustery conditions from the W or NW. There is no sign of any significant wintry spell at this point.

The below image features 850hpa temps (temps at approx. 1500m), 500hpa temps (temps at Approx. Altitude:5600m) and precipitation levels, as forecast in the latest run of the GEFS weather model.

227406.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭pauldry

yeah your right there Wolfe.

The 10th and the 14th might be cold 7c but all the rest of the days in November look like they will have temperatures in the range 10 to 14c especially the 3rd week which could see 15 or 16c locally if current model trends continue.

We have to look to December for the next hope of cold but we would need the Atlantic to lose its grip. God forbid I predict a mild Winter here but an odd day of wintry showers is the best I see.

Always thought that September and October would be cool as the Sea Ice readjusted itself and bent the jetstream but now it seems to have stabilised so a couple of months of "normal" Winter weather would be in the offing. Mild and dank but a blocking high could rescue us in December if we all get together and blow out to sea.

pauldry wrote: »
    Mild and dank but a blocking high could rescue us in December if we all get together and blow out to sea.

Could happen sooner, Paul. The last week has seen the GFS in particular struggle with the position of atlantic and euro highs. The jetstream has also been quite sterile in recent weeks and it will not take much for a massive flip to take place in a short period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Wolfe_IRE wrote: »
    Could happen sooner, Paul. The last week has seen the GFS in particular struggle with the position of atlantic and euro highs. The jetstream has also been quite sterile in recent weeks and it will not take much for a massive flip to take place in a short period of time.

Phew thank God for that - I was beginning to lose all hope there for a second after Pauldry's post:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭corksurfer2005

Is it just me or whenever somebody mentions cold, people say that it should all be taken with a pinch of salt/long range forecasts aren't reliable etc etc.

But then when the signs change to a mild outlook it's all doom and gloom and nailed on to happen?

Not doom and gloom at all...just mild.

Anyway the NAO / GFS only really show that till around the 20th after which it could get gloomy with graupel sauce added. :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I think anyone posting tabloid articles should be a bannable offence from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Is it just me or whenever somebody mentions cold, people say that it should all be taken with a pinch of salt/long range forecasts aren't reliable etc etc.

But then when the signs change to a mild outlook it's all doom and gloom and nailed on to happen?

Very valid observation there corksurfer.

I think it's just the fact that mild is our 'default' weather - that's the weather we can expect if nothing else. (Very) cold is so rare. Often appears in the far reaches of model ouput - rarely comes to fruition.

Impossible to tell with any level of certainty at this early stage what weather this winter will bring/

DOCHARCH is correct. Our default climate is mild and often unsettled. There is very little to suggest (at this point) that we will see anything else this winter.

For cold weather enthusiasts, the meteorological winter lasts from Dec 5 through the early days of March so there is a long way to go before any conclusions can be drawn on the winter as a whole. The coming weeks will indicate what the first half of the winter might bring us.

The AO is unlikely to stay in positive territory into the fourth week of the month if you take its trend from the past four months (http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/ao_index_mrf.shtml). This will allow for a reload of cold. The jetstream is much more sterile than we have become accustomed to so any flood of cool air south from the Arctic in late Nov/early Dec very well could introduce much colder weather to this region. There are a multitude of factors that must come into play to allow this to happen including ridging to our west/Greenland (serves to divert jetstream) and/or ridging over Scandi/western Russia). As I already noted a few days ago, the GFS in particular is having considerable difficulty in determining the positions of High Pressure systems in the Atlantic. Ominously the Azores High, which was a major contributory factor to last year’s mild winter, is lurking in its familiar position. This will need to track further NW toward Newfoundland/Labrador to reduce the effect of the jetream on our weather. Keep an eye on that here http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gefs_cartes.php?ech=0&code=0&mode=3&carte=0

I appreciate that there are many ifs, buts and maybes in what I have outlined above. This underscores the building blocks that are required for sustained cold to affect this region. Hence, why there is a very low confidence factor associated with any long range predictions.

Looks like a short term return to a positive (normal ) NAO for now though. That setup is unlikely to last the winter....veeeery unlikely in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Net Weather's Stuart Rampling has his preliminary thoughts out http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=winter-thoughts-2012;sess= ... very much like MT's imo . Very well explained and put together with alot of decent scientific info involved.

Very interesting as how the sea ice extent in 2007 correlated to a -AO so its certainly one to add to the MULTIPLE factors that would lead to a -AO and hence a better chance of a colder winter for us.

Dont worry folks, winter has only JUST BEGUN! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Net Weather's Stuart Rampling has his preliminary thoughts out http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=winter-thoughts-2012;sess= ... very much like MT's imo . Very well explained and put together with alot of decent scientific info involved.

Very interesting as how the sea ice extent in 2007 correlated to a -AO so its certainly one to add to the MULTIPLE factors that would lead to a -AO and hence a better chance of a colder winter for us.

Dont worry folks, winter has only JUST BEGUN! :D

Yep, a very nice presentation by Glacier Point/Stuart.
    With regards the sea ice stuff, I posted an analysis on the sea ice relationship with winter CET (which appears to have influenced Stuarts thinking a bit). The analysis could likely be applied to Ireland too. Here's the link if anyone's interested http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/74491-winter-2012-2013-part-2/page__st__840#entry2376808

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Nice work there Mindgame

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭StormGazer.11

I second Su, very good work Mindgame, well written and put together :)

Great post MiNdGaM3 , nice read indeed :)

UK Met's latest 16-30 Day-
    As is usual, there are uncertainties in the forecast for this period, but there are signs that the changeable conditions will continue through the start of this forecast period. Rainfall amounts are more likely to be above the seasonal average rather than below, especially across England and Wales. There is also a signal for temperatures to be close to or just below the seasonal average. Towards the latter part of the period, there are some suggestions that conditions will turn drier with more in the way of sunshine, but also colder, with temperatures well below the seasonal average. This will give a greater risk of overnight frosts.
    Updated: 1134 on Tue 6 Nov 2012

Iancar29 wrote: »
    with temperatures well below the seasonal average

The UKMO don't talk 'cold' at the end of their 30 day forecast without any good reason.

Also, this is the final time I will be able to use my dancing Mitt :( Let me have this moment

ZM9m6.gif

• Advertisement

Wolfe_IRE wrote: »
    The UKMO don't talk 'cold' at the end of their 30 day forecast without any good reason.

Also, this is the final time I will be able to use my dancing Mitt :( Let me have this moment

ZM9m6.gif

Very True.. If only i could find their 16-30 forcast for around this time back in 2010.

There now.. your moment has passed...

We all know where the party is at now...

obama-cnn-dance.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement