Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW golf 1.4 comfort line

• 31-03-2009 11:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭

Guy's
    I'm considering buying a VW golf and have a few questions to ask and don't exactly trust any dealer to give me a honest answer that might get in the way of a sale. I will be commuting to work in this car five days a week an hour each way and will be totally reliant on the car for work . The car is a 2003 VW Golf 1.4 Comfort line it has 80,000 miles on the clock.
    • Is the VW Golf a reliable car ?
    • What kind of MPG does the car get?
    • How could I keep the emissions low on a Golf because I have been told that this is a major point of failure for the Golf when it's being put through the NCT. What kind of maintenance would be required?
    • Are there any annoying issues with the Golf such as wind noise, engine noise etc ?

And lastly my current car is a Rover 214 Si with 109,000 on the clock, does anyone know how much I should look for if I trade this in when buying the Golf ? I'm thinking around E750

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Buy a Focus, superior to the Golf, Golfs are way over-rated. The build quality is a joke, they fall to bits and they drink oil like no other. I doubt you'll get anything for a Rover, I sent a 01 214 to the crusher three weeks ago, it sat on my lot for eight months without anyone even looking at it and it only had 46k miles on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

First of all, the Golf and VW's reputation for reliability in general is over exagerated. It is average at best so keep this in mind when buying one, in other words don't pay over the odds for one thinking it's a superior product.

Secondly, the 1.4 litre engine in the Golf is underpowered (especially coming from the K-Series Rover engine). It is also known to have alot of reliability issues. You would be better off going for a older but more reliable 1.6 or 1.9 TDi. Things like oxygen sensors, weak gearbox, piston slap and heavy oil consumption are all common issues on that engine. I would definately consider a 1.4 litre Golf with 80k miles on it as being past it's best.

Thirdly, your Rover is not worth much, it will be worth even less to a dealer, to avail of the best deals you are better off not trying to trade-in against a newer car. You should be looking at getting a discount for buying straight (no trade-in). Cash or straight deals are king in the current climate. Try selling your old car privately and take any serious offer you get for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

bazz26 wrote: »
    First of all, the Golf and VW's reputation for reliability in general is over exagerated. It is average at best so keep this in mind when buying one, in other words don't pay over the odds for one thinking it's a superior product.

Secondly, the 1.4 litre engine in the Golf is underpowered (especially coming from the K-Series Rover engine). It is also known to have alot of reliability issues. You would be better off going for a older but more reliable 1.6 or 1.9 TDi. Things like oxygen sensors, weak gearbox, piston slap and heavy oil consumption are all common issues on that engine. I would definately consider a 1.4 litre Golf with 80k miles on it as being past it's best.

Thirdly, your Rover is not worth much, it will be worth even less to a dealer, to avail of the best deals you are better off not trying to trade-in against a newer car. You should be looking at getting a discount for buying straight (no trade-in). Cash or straight deals are king in the current climate. Try selling your old car privately and take any serious offer you get for it.

Just about sums it up. Realistically, for a long commute the extra pep of the 1.9tdi or the 1.6 will make for safer overtaking and better fuel economy as the 1.4 will have to be dogged to get any movement on the open road

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭The Orb

I had a '99 1.4 with 62,000 miles on the clock,last year the piston rings went, would have cost 2k to fix, scrapped the car. Apparently it was a common problem on the 1.4, I would avoid the car you're looking at. Other posters are right, go for the 1.6 or the 1.9 tdi or maybe an A3, bring one in from the north and save a tank on the VRT for a tdi version.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭roosterman71

If your driving an hour each way to work, perhaps a diesel would be a better option - much better mpg compared to the 1.4. You also get much more power

However, scrap all that if its city driving and its an hour in traffic and stop start. Then a petrol Focus is the way to go instead of a golf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

This might be a little off topic but could what is the difference between the comfort line and the sports line Golfs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

This might be a little off topic but could what is the difference between the comfort line and the sports line Golfs?

Sport line has front and rear electric windows and also body coloured protection strips along the car instead of the normal black ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,365 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    Sport line has front and rear electric windows and also body coloured protection strips along the car instead of the normal black ones.

There are other differences, Sportline has different seats with heavier bolstering, leather steering wheel, alloys and fogs, Comfortline gets auto lights and wipers, cruise control, auto-dim rear view mirror etc. Comfortline also has 4 electric windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Thanks for those responses.

I think I'd prefer the Comfort Line with the cruise control.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,365 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The later comfortline models (2007) get the body coloured rubbing strips and handles. they also get air conditioning.

• Advertisement

Differences are CL gets cruise, 15 inch alloys, auto lights and rain sensitive wipers. Also auto dim rear view mirror. SL gets instead of these sports suspension (15mm lower), 16 inch alloys, sports seats and leather wheel. CL Mall the way, and post 07 get air con on all models. Both get nicer trim, 4 x ew and better on-board computer over baseline model

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

junkyard wrote: »
    Buy a Focus, superior to the Golf, Golfs are way over-rated.

Thanks for the suggestions I'll stay away from the VW for now, Jankyard said that a Ford Focus is a better buy , what do you guys think ?

Focus would be euro for euro but a 1.6 is the way to go. Have a look at a 1.6 Leon S spec:pac:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Funnily enough there is an '05 1.4 Golf sitting in our company warehouse at the moment. Its going to be sold as the person who drove it got laid off unfortunately. Here's the kicker though, it has 257,000 km's on the clock :eek:

I don't even know if you could actually put a value on it.

delly wrote: »
    Funnily enough there is an '05 1.4 Golf sitting in our company warehouse at the moment. Its going to be sold as the person who drove it got laid off unfortunately. Here's the kicker though, it has 257,000 km's on the clock :eek:

Did they ever hear of diesel?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I'll give you a grand...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

EPM wrote: »
    I'll give you a grand...
    Yeah, i tried that myself, but officially there looking for 4.

delly wrote: »

Hey stick it in the paper like everyone else

Hey stick it in the paper like everyone else

I don't own the car, as mentioned earlier. I just think it crazy km's on a petrol car.

Sorry :D. I think anyone sane will run a mile when they the mileage on that and they want 4000 :eek: for ha ha, tell them I said good luck with that. That car will end up at an auction or in the crusher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 slowpoison

oh god iam driving a 1.4 golf since last september, and i have never spent so much money and my dad is a mechanic so iam saving a fortune! its just one bloody thing after another, from the immobiliser, to the alarm, the door locks and the windows deciding they dont want to work anymore, replacing the clutch and gearbox, new alternator, spark leads the list seems to be never ending and it drinks petrol and oil like a fish i have never seen anything like it! oh im selling if anyone wants to buy:P haha

WATEVER YOU DO, DONT BUY A 1.4 GOLF!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ryan T

After reading the posts on this topic I am amazed. I have owned 5 (yes five)1.4 vw golfs and never had a problem with any. Super car with a great resale value. Average mpg of 40 There is no comparison between a ford focus and a golf. Also never thought the 1.4 under powered

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

Ryan T wrote: »
    After reading the posts on this topic I am amazed. I have owned 5 (yes five)1.4 vw golfs and never had a problem with any. Super car with a great resale value. Average mpg of 40 There is no comparison between a ford focus and a golf. Also never thought the 1.4 under powered

I drive an 07 1.4 Octavia, which I am guessing is the same as the engine as used in the Golf. Prior to that I had a 00 1.4 Seat Leon, which again, I guess had pretty much the same engine as the Golf.
    I have to say, I have never had a problem. Underpowered it may be, but if the bulk of the driving that you do is either city driving or light commuting then in my view, it's ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

The MK4 Golf is a rubbish car. I knew someone that had a 1.4 and everything went on it - exhaust, cat, central locking and even the engine died. Ended up getting a second-hand engine (from a 02 car with 75k) and this lasted only 18 months, after it..not sure, but the mechanic said the best thing to do was avail of the scappage scheme if possible. Crap car to drive too - horrible clunky gearbox, the handling is nonexistent, poor ride quality, poor visablity. They looks nice alright, but that's it I'm afraid. Buy a Focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭stevie_b

i recently sold my 1.4 golf and got a focus 1.6 tdci - and man am i glad i did. imo the golf is very underpowered (and so are other cars of similar size), and overrated. i now no longer feel like i am destroying my car when taking off from a set of lights or overtaking etc; the focus is a joy to drive.

edit - on subject of mpg:
    The fuel economy (mpg) of the new 1.6 TDCI Ford Focus Diesel is amongst the best in its class. The book figures claim 45.6 mpg Urban, 70.6mpg Extra Urban with a combined figure of 58.9 mpg and these bear out quite well with the actual figures attained during everyday use. We manage between 55 and 58 mpg on a mixture of 50 mile motorway journeys and the school runs, often through traffic congestion in Newbury.

With steady speed UK A-road or motorway driving at 60mph the Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI hatchback delivers over 70mpg (our best fuel economy is 75.6mpg on a journey to Nottingham and back from Newbury).

from ,http://www.stevelarkins.freeuk.com/ford_focus_tdci_review.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

That about says it, Focus is way superior.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

EPM wrote: »
    Differences are CL gets cruise, 15 inch alloys, auto lights and rain sensitive wipers. Also auto dim rear view mirror. SL gets instead of these sports suspension (15mm lower), 16 inch alloys, sports seats and leather wheel. CL Mall the way, and post 07 get air con on all models. Both get nicer trim, 4 x ew and better on-board computer over baseline model

Post 09 CL models dropped the auto lights, auto dimming mirror and rain sensitive wipers! So much for the 2009 brochure and VW Ireland. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I've owned different makes and models of cars over the years, going from one make to another really opens your eyes to the good and bad things of your previous make or model. Buying the same model again and again can only give you a comparison against the previous model, not against the competition.

Also my family's first hand experience of VW is far from positive, my uncle had a current model Passat that was a disaster from day one. And my sister's Lupo has been a money pit. Personally myself I think they are overrated and overvalued by the general public, they do make some interesting models like the GTi and Scirocco but for the most part they are average at best but each to their own I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 MacOwen

I have owned and still own a 02 1.4 vw golf. I have it for nearly the last 4 years and don't find it too underpowered. I have never had a days trouble since i bought it, there is 94k miles on the clock. I know a few people who have had focus' and have had nothing but trouble from them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

Just purchased a 08 Volkswagen Golf Plus Comfortline. Does anyone know if it comes with an Aux Input? If so, where?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

bazz26 wrote: »

Sorry but Ive rarely come across a golf falling apart having had a few vw/ Audi cars I can stay that build quality has never been an issue. Interiors are pretty solid as is suspension apart from ARB bushes. However, the focus I have never owned one but friends have an the 2 or 3 I knew were horrendous sh#tbuckets with horrible interiors. I never got the focus love thing.

One thing I will say is that the 1.4 engine is awful, truly an embarrassment to any car company. Avoid at all costs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement