Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The North Face sale is back 50% off

Options
  • 26-02-2014 6:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

50% North Face sale back on. Use UK site and parcel motel. €100 order on UK site would have cost €142 on Irish site...Go figure.
    Spend spend spend:D

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

Linky?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,919 ✭✭✭dodzy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

Still looks horrendously overpriced to me....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Meh, no offer on the mules which is what i'm really after. The sales is poor and relates to less popular stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

AH, the tent I had my eye on for the summer festivals isn't on sale..... http://www.thenorthface.co.uk/tnf-uk-en/2-meter-dome-tent/p52767.html a snip at £5,900

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Pique

Sure winter's over. No need for TNF gear for another 9 months. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

My wife picked up this parka last week for €175 in Kildare Village

http://www.thenorthface.co.uk/tnf-uk-en/women-s-arctic-parka/p83173.html

It's £192 on the site and supposedly down from £320

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭DaraDali

Just bought a Jacket! DAmm you Bargain Alerts!!! Thanks Op

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TheHappyChappy

cheers op

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭dessierb

items shipped. Unfortunately not as good a selection as last year. Must have got burned, the amount if stuff boardies bought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

groom wrote: »
    My wife picked up this parka last week for €175 in Kildare Village

http://www.thenorthface.co.uk/tnf-uk-en/women-s-arctic-parka/p83173.html

It's £192 on the site and supposedly down from £320
    I was in Kildare last week looking for a mens parker similar to this. Great selection of womens, but non existent for mens. Dissapointed, but such is life.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ilovespudss

Thanks OP, jacket purchased

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

Yikes the price of their stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ilovespudss

Eight Ball wrote: »
    Yikes the price of their stuff

Their stuff is great quality though, it's worth the money imo

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Is the kildare villiage stuff the exact same?

I am not suggesting they are selling fakes for one second but I read about outlet stores selling lower quality products before. Some might sell "seconds" and label them or ones that are just not the very best. But some are just made to a lower quality, even if it is coming off the manufacturing line perfectly as intended.

http://www.outletlocation.com/the-difference-in-product-quality-between-outlet-stores-and-retail-stores.html
    Are Outlet Store Products Cheaper Because They Are of Lower Quality Than Those in Retail Stores?

The short answer is yes, of course. When you pay less for something, you can expect to get less for it. However, the difference in quality is not as great as you might expect.

The quality standards for products sold in retail stores may actually be much higher than you know. Nike, for example, often ends up destroying many of the shoes produced by their partner factories because they do not meet quality standards. To an untrained person, the shoes may look fine, but the company has very strict quality standards because this is the best way to protect the reputation of their brand. Those shoes that are almost good enough, but not quite are often sent to be sold at outlet stores.

Outlet Stores Often Produce Goods That Are Made Specifically for Sale at Outlet Stores.

Some outlet stores are selling products that used to be sold in their retail stores but that are now out of season or did not sell well. These products are just as good as the ones in a retail store, because they used to be sold in a retail store. However, many outlets also sell slightly used or even damaged items in their stores. Finally, many outlets produce goods that are made specifically for outlet stores.

Here, there is a real quality difference with retail products. The design might be the same, but the outlet product was never intended to be sold at the retail level. They go directly to the outlet store. This means that the clothing at an outlet store may be made with lower quality fabric or cheaper construction methods. They may have less stitching, less embroidery, less detail, or a lower thread count. You will probably not be able to tell the difference from the things sold at the retail level, but the difference is there.

One way that you can check to see if a product is irregular or imperfect is to look at the apparel tag on the inside of the clothing. Usually the apparel tags of irregular or imperfect clothing have been marked or sliced in some way to show that they are not perfect products.

So, when you go to the outlet store, take a good look at the products that you are buying. In fact, it may be a good idea to go to a brand’s retail store first to become familiar with the products and the kind of quality of those products so that you can see the difference for yourself when you go to an outlet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

rubadub wrote: »

I am not suggesting they are selling fakes for one second but I read about outlet stores selling lower quality products before. Some might sell "seconds" and label them or ones that are just not the very best. But some are just made to a lower quality, even if it is coming off the manufacturing line perfectly as intended.

http://www.outletlocation.com/the-difference-in-product-quality-between-outlet-stores-and-retail-stores.html

I reckon that's partly spin from the designer labels to try get people away form their outlet and into their flagship shops. May apply to some labels, but I doubt it's all of them

May apply to some labels, but I doubt it's all of them
    Of course not all of them, that's why I'm just asking if people know if north face do it. It definitely happens, one page about it showed blatant variation in stitching on some jeans with the same range name.

The only reason I would consider buying north face is for the supposed good quality, I don't value "the label" much, i.e. I couldn't care less if it had a north face label anywhere on it, where some people want it a big emblazoned sign on their "designer stuff".

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

I know that US TNF outlets often (any time I have purchased) have a warning on the receipt that the special warranty does not apply to the items sold there. Also they place a mark the inner labels of the items, presumably indicating that they are outlet sales/stock. Doubt there is much if any difference in quality, but they treat the sale differently from a warranty perspective. Not sure if that applies here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

It def does happen, we used to get returns to the retail store I worked in form the outlet place in Belfast, it would have different barcode numbers and be just slightly different, mostly lighter.

I doubt anyone would notice bar staff who handle the same stock for 6 months.

But this was women's formal wear not performance sports wear where construction is more of an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

Great prices but it's selling out. Couldn't get what I wanted today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

dessierb wrote: »
    items shipped. Unfortunately not as good a selection as last year. Must have got burned, the amount if stuff boardies bought.

Yeah, I'd say they hate it when people buy their leftover stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

They cancelled my order for using parcel motel. UK prices are way lower than Ireland. Scumbags.

Parcel motel worked for me

Parcel motel worked for me

This is the shipping address I used:
    Parcel Motel (PMXXXXXX)
    1A McKinney Road
    Mallusk, BT36 4PX
    United Kingdom

Did you order off UK site?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

Parcel Motel worked for me too

Some businesses now treat the PM address the same as a PO box and do not want to send there possibly due to lack of traceability, i.e. a scamster could get stuff and say it never arrived and ask for proof of delivery.

Or of course some want you to pay the higher irish prices.

So it's just me that they're flagging. I wonder if I try again will they catch it.

ballooba wrote: »
    So it's just me that they're flagging. I wonder if I try again will they catch it.

Was ok for me with my Irish billing address and pm shipping adress

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭CBRLizzie

rubadub wrote: »

There was a programme on Channel 4, yer man who does be on Superscrimpers was doing it Harry Wallop I think his name is. Anyway he went to the Outlet Stores and found out that the clothes on sale there, some of them were never in the high street stores, and were definitely made especially for the Outlets. I'm not saying all Outlet stores do this, but some of them definitely do - they would be inferior quality to the ones being sold in the stores.

• Advertisement

Was ok for me with my Irish billing address and pm shipping adress

My new order has not been cancelled yet. Fingers crossed. I have a backup plan anyway. Another store is marginally more expensive without the hassle.

Advertisement