Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

'Ghost signs'

• 24-11-2009 3:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Nasir Colossal Silkworm

I've recently become interested in the various 'ghost signs' dotted around the city.

Basically a 'ghost sign' is an old advertisement sign for a business long since gone - typically they're painted onto old brickwork.

I don't have any photos yet, but would love to start putting some together.

I'd appricate hearing of any locations around the city where I could find them.

When we get a few together we could either make a new thread on 'em (this one maybe?) or merge them in the historic photos thread.

Anyone?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

one on a building on Parnell Street, you see it as you walk down Nth Great George's Street. I think it's above the post office now, it's for a shoe and boot company.

A couple of brick ones along Pearse Street too if memory serves. And Nassau Street near Lincoln Gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

IeDBaldAd5806.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Nasir Colossal Silkworm

deaddonkey wrote: »
    one on a building on Parnell Street, you see it as you walk down Nth Great George's Street. I think it's above the post office now, it's for a shoe and boot company.

A couple of brick ones along Pearse Street too if memory serves. And Nassau Street near Lincoln Gate.

Thanks, if we get enough I can re-name this thread and continue it from here as I think when people see them it'll generate a lot of interest.

If anyone wants to add photos they don't need to be artistic or of a high photographic standard, mobile phone photos would be good enough for ghost signs I guess.

i'll be down parnell street before the end of the week, I'll bring the camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I know a few around the city. I'll try take some pictures on my travels. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,962 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

There's one on the side of the Headline on Leonards Corner so sme old butchers which is long since gone, have a picture somewhere, if I find it I'll pop it up here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Yes, in Ballybough as you walk down the canal bridge towards Fairview there is a road. It's Sackville something,

If you walk on that road you come to Croke Park Villas, those flats were my shortcut home every day.

The wall has a sign for some old coal merchant, I'll be back with pics tomorrow. It's painted onto the bricks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

Paddy Whelan's old prams/bicycles shop on Cork Street is pretty cool looking, I just noticed it last week coming back from Lidl.

(photo nabbed from http://www.archiseek.com/content/archive/index.php/t-4795.html)

twinbillycorkstqt4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

At the back of Jervis st, along the Luas line, across the road from the entrance to the Epicurean Food Hall there is old hand painted letters on the brick.

"Independent newspapers ltd"

just at shoulder height. If you need a tripod or a hand, give me a pm, I used to work as a photographer. Some of the signs might be best photographed at dusk or dawn with a long exposure from across the street with a long lens and a low depth of field.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Up near the Black Church there's a sign for a hotel on one of the gables.
    Along Talbot St., many of the original buildings have ghost signs on their upper floors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

The chemist one on the junction of Fairview Strand and Annesley Bridge Rd.

Iirc spurious mentioned it recently on another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

you have "pure chemicals" and "nuzum bros" on a building on Pearse street. And you have "Finns hotel" just up the road from it on the side of kennedys on westland row(?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

There's a great one in Arbour Hill. Global Travel or something similar it's called. I'll check this evening and report back but won't be able to provide pictures I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Bolands Flour Mills at Grand Canal & The Irish Yeast co on Pearse St

4023261512_c61b56b9fc.jpg
    2452245633_3a815dcd76.jpg?v=0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Sth Anne St
    dpg3-7big.jpg

Essex St
    dpg5-large23646246.jpg
    I think there's some opposite this too.

Grantham St
    dpg5-1big.jpg

There's also a mosaic over Dunnes (if that's still there) on Grafton St which says Waterproofers I think. It's somewhere in the Dublin Picture Game.

WindSock wrote: »
    2452245633_3a815dcd76.jpg?v=0

Irish Yeast company is still trading - occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I've alway been fascinated with that shop, does the irish yeast company sell yeast? To who? Whats with the silver trays in the window? It's all very mysterious.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

3329713200_33b27017e5.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Johnny Giles

Finns Hotel

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Bambi wrote: »
    I've alway been fascinated with that shop, does the irish yeast company sell yeast? To who? Whats with the silver trays in the window? It's all very mysterious.

No idea on the trays, but they certainly sell yeast. A friend of mine used to buy it there in fairly small quantities when making bread. I think they're more suited towards people who buy it in big quantities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I think the Irish Yeast Co is still in business, though doesn't open for long hours, Their window display implies they sell baking supplies, specifically for cakemakers. It looks interesting.

Back on topic, there's a chemist on Baggot St with a ghostly 'To His Excellency The Lord Luitenant' painted on the façade.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Michael Garry Electrical shut up shop in the last few years , but the painted name and phone number is still on the red brick on Bolton Street.

EDIT Actually it appears they just moved, which is good. http://michaelgarryltd.ie/index.htm

Theres a pic of the Bolton St store on the bottom right here: http://michaelgarryltd.ie/about.htm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

This is a small street off liffey street in town. its between the "hags with the bags" and the old K3 pub if i remember correctly,
    1697275559_db4ff80ee4.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

On the Hawkins St side of the Screen cinema there's a sign for Metroburger (a vile, disgusting little place) which used to be kind of built into the side of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭dimejinky99

Aungier st, just over the sweet shop Kellys there heading out of town the shop is on your left, there's an extremely faded yellow ad painted over three floors of the front of the building looking onto Aungier st. I lived there for a year about three years ago and only noticed this recently...also there's an old Players No.6 painted ad somewhere but I'm having trouble remembering it's location.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Just thinkin there. the old building that was once the gas company, i think its d'olier street. its now a coffee shop and it has a mosaic tile banner above it saying "GAS". :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Masada wrote: »
    Just thinkin there. the old building that was once the gas company, i think its d'olier street. its now a coffee shop and it has a mosaic tile banner above it saying "GAS". :)

It's a beautiful Robinson and O'Keefe Art Deco building. Well listed. Coffe shop to the front now and Trinity's school of nursing in the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

humberklog wrote: »
    It's a beautiful Robinson and O'Keefe Art Deco building. Well listed. Coffe shop to the front now and Trinity's school of nursing in the back.
    I love that building. Is my memory failing me or did the 'oil rig' (gas?) structure have a flame at the top when Bord Gáis were the occupiers of the building?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

does anyone remember the sign you would see from the Dart coming into Connolly Station that would say "WANTED (picture of dirty bucket) REWARD (picture of clean bucket)"

I think it's gone now but it was there for YEARS

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

As you turn up towards Arbour Hill, just past the Belfry pub there's an old sign for:

Worldwide Discount Airfares

Not even sure if there's a building behind it or if it's just a facade at this stage.

Advertisement