Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Purchasing clothes online

Options
  • 27-12-2019 4:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi

Apologies if this comes across as a stupid thread, but I was wondering if it is sensible to do your clothes shopping online

I hate shopping for clothes, and was thinking it would be a lot easier to buy them online.

But can you be sure that the clothes will fit? I wear 32/32 trousers and small t shirts and jumpers.

Is it risky buying clothes online?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

It's less risky than buying it in the shop and changing your mind. You have more rights returning items bought online than in the shop.

I mostly buy online and I make better and less impulsive purchases. Plus I can buy brands not available locally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Dick_Swiveller

meeeeh wrote: »
    It's less risky than buying it in the shop and changing your mind. You have more rights returning items bought online than in the shop.

I mostly buy online and I make better and less impulsive purchases. Plus I can buy brands not available locally.

Thanks. Usually i try on clothes in a shop before buying. Obviously thats not possible when purchasing online. Are sizes generally the same no matter what? As in, if I buy a pair of regular 32/32 trousers online will they fit the exact same way as a regular 32/32 ive tried on and bought in a shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Is this the type of thread usually started by someone drunk because they think everyone on fashion forum is stupid?

32/32 same brand and model of jeans will fit exactly the same. Different brand or model won't but if you are size 32/32 there is a good chance that size will fit you best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Most high street brands do free returns and return in store if it doesn’t fit. As Meeeeh says, they are the same clothes you buy in the shop anyway so if 32/32 in a Gap store fits then the online one will.

meeeeh wrote: »
    Is this the type of thread usually started by someone drunk because they think everyone on fashion forum is stupid?

32/32 same brand and model of jeans will fit exactly the same. Different brand or model won't but if you are size 32/32 there is a good chance that size will fit you best.

Bit harsh. I simply know absolutely nothing about buying clothes online. I was merely wondering if it was better to try them on in the shop beforehand instead having to return them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

You have more consumer rights buying online than in a shop. If it doesn't fit or you don't like it, they allow you to return and get a refund within 28 days. In a shop you don't have that automatic right. Its because you can't look, feel and try it on like you can in a shop.

Not all clothes will fit the same though, unless you buy the brand you always buy, but even then it can fit different etc. No harm giving it a try. Just return within time frame if you're not happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

If there’s stores you like to buy from you can try on sizes in store and have a fairly good idea how other things from the same store will fit. Be very aware when you’re shopping online about fits - things like slim fit, tapered, etc- because these can make things fit differently on you.

You can definitely be different sizes in different stores- I’ve had some trousers fit me perfectly but in a different store I’ll need to go a few inches up or down.

Pretty much all online stores will allow you to return, but there may be a postage charge- places like ASOS are good for that because they carry loads of different brands and returning stuff is super easy and free - you just click “return item”, print a label and drop to the post office. Money is usually refunded to your card in a few days of them reviewing it back in the warehouse. Other places will let you return to a store near you and the refund will come in straight away. Lots of high street stores also let you get free delivery to a store for pickup in a few days so you could actually just try everything on in the shop that you ordered and return whatever you didn’t want the same trip.

I prefer shopping online for clothes now, because I can try things on at home in normal lighting, with other stuff I have so I know it matches, will work with the rest of my wardrobe etc. if you find a few places you like online that fit you well you can really do well in online sales- I regularly get raw denim jeans in my size for €12 or so because I can wait and pounce on deals when I see them.

Thank you very much Ciarrai76 and baby and crumble, most helpful indeed.

I just purchased a few items from ASOS, so we'll see what happens!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Thank you very much Ciarrai76 and baby and crumble, most helpful indeed.

I just purchased a few items from ASOS, so we'll see what happens!

No probs. Its easy to return with asos, you can just print off a label and go to the post office, no charge! And they are pretty quick at delivery too. I have ordered off asos a LOT (too much!). I like Zara too, also really easy to order and return with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I personally dont like buying online, if the clothes dont fit or arent nice on theres often a return fee and a chance the clothes will get lost in transit or the shop will take forever to give a refund, theres also potential problems with delivery, I once found a note on my front door from a lady who lived 5 miles away from me, no where near my address - telling me a package was left for me at her house and I could come pick it up - she asked around her neighbors and people in the area to track me down to get the parcel to me. Only for her being so honest I would have lost the 80 euro I spent as I had no proof the package didnt deliver. Another time a ordered a jacket from Pull and Bear, what arrived was a flimsy top that only slightly resembled the online picture, another time the delivery driver phoned me from outside my house in his van, when I went outside I went over to him to get my package, he pointed at the ground, I looked over and it was obvious he had just flung it out the window.
    That said, ive ordered lots online and had no problem at all with the items, delivery or service. I just find it a bit of a hassle and very hit and miss.
    To be safe, look up the website on Facebook, if they have allot of bad comments about orders then id give them a miss.

Ive ordered from ASOS a few times and always had a good experience.

• Advertisement
Advertisement