Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peats of Parnell St....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I think you'll find those are fairly standard prices for the items in most shops in Ireland, not just peats, The camera is selling for €399 in the sony centre (peats) , dixons and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thats proberly a fair point, so my new question is..does anyone shop in Ireland any more (for this sort of stuff?)?

Mike.

I work in the square, and the simple answer to that is yes, our sales are up a good bit on last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

unfortunately yes.. don't have access to credit card.. etc.

I think an awful lot of people who aren't accustomed to the net really don't have a clue that they have the option to avoid the rip-off prices here in Ireland.

I personally try and borrow a credit-card.. or wait until sales etc. to buy items like this.. only way I can afford it tbh.

No ones going to like it but if everyone stops buying stuff in Ireland all of a sudden, no-one will have any money to spend on anything. I think we're all familiar with what a vicious circle is. at the end of the day, buying from a shop is always going to be dearer than buying from a company selling out o a cheap to rent warehouse employing a couple of people.

I recently found out that the rates paid for our premises in the suare amounts to somewhere in the region of €20,00 per month. This is not a massive shop, just a standard size one (for those of you who know the square the shop is about the size of H.Samuel.) I'd imagine you could rent a fairly sizable warehouse in the back-arse of no-where for a lot less than that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

Arguments like "if we dont buy in Irish shops, then none of us will have any money" really annoy me. Why should I as a customer have any loyalty to an Irish shop that is trying to rob me.

This is simple economics - rents don't define prices the market defines prices and the profit defines rent.

In other words if we refuse as a nation to be fleeced what will happen ? The shops stop making big profits - they react by either bringing their price down or ( if they are really inefficient ) going broke. Now if they go broke another (more efficient) operation takes over and re-negotiates the rental.

The rents are defined usually by the shops out bidding each other knowing that they can make the rental back by charging exorbitant prices and YOU WILL pay it. You know what they're saying ..

"what do you do with sheep only fleece them".

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

mike65 wrote:
    ....does anyone here shop in Peats?

Personally I hate them, what ever about **** prices their customer service is crap. I rang one day looking for somthing and the guy on the phone swore to me he had it there. So I drove in to town, on a saturday, mental trafic, no parking. Got in to the shop asked for it and was told thay had been out of stock for a week. The guy id been on the phone to was there and just looked at me blankly like i was mad as I asked how come I was told an hour earlier they had it... grrr....

Bought what I was looking for off another Irish shop for about €70 less so they proabably did me a favour.

I tell everyone I know to avoid them at all costs for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭ando

sure its the same with clothes. You goto dress-for-less.de and you'll find Tommy Hilfiger jeans going for 60 yoyo's but in town they are aprox €115. saves a packet shopping there

I wish I could do the same with cars but VRT is in the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

I think I have to say something in defence of Peats. While they definitely can't match online prices, I had a very good experience with their staff. A while back, I bought a CPU and motherboard to build a PC. To cut a long story short, I messed it up big time, and ended up blowing both. I went back to Peats with the stuff, asking what was wrong. The guy in Peats showed me exactly what it was I did wrong. Also, he gave me a lower price on a replacement CPU, and replaced the board for free! The guy's name was Heatherington or something like that.

Since then, I've bought stuff there from time to time, especially if I want to see the item first. I wouldn't expect free replacements, but it can be good to get advice from somebody who knows their stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,935 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Thomson 61JW643S 61'' Rear Projection TV @ Peats

@ A high street shop in England that delivers to Ireland

Thats a €850 difference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Rew wrote:
    Personally I hate them, what ever about **** prices their customer service is crap. I rang one day looking for somthing and the guy on the phone swore to me he had it there. So I drove in to town, on a saturday, mental trafic, no parking. Got in to the shop asked for it and was told thay had been out of stock for a week. The guy id been on the phone to was there and just looked at me blankly like i was mad as I asked how come I was told an hour earlier they had it... grrr....

Bought what I was looking for off another Irish shop for about €70 less so they proabably did me a favour.

I tell everyone I know to avoid them at all costs for everything.

I've always found the guys in the computer components section very helpful. I've had less good experiences on the consumer electronics side. I was in there a couple of weeks before Christmas browsing for a PDA (interested in buying one), I asked an assistant where they displayed them. He grunted "over there" and walked away. I had some questions about prices and model availability but no one seemed too keen to talk to me. "Next stop www.dabs.com" was what went through my mind as I walked out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

the only thing I shop for at peats are the TDK DVD-Rs.
    fairly good price at 22 Euros for 25.
    anything I don't bother with them and order either only, or take the time and shop around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 serpeh1

peats are a pack of muppets, i was in there a couple off weeks ago buying speaker cable , i asked the guy for what i wanted he went into the back to get it and diddnt come back, so i asked another guy who got it straight away off a roll at the back off the shop. i also asked him for some bananna clips as well and he said they dont have or sell them. i went down stairs to the demo room and there was a full rack of cable and bananna clips!!!!!!

Advertisement