Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leap Card - Checking Balance

• 04-04-2012 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

can't find it anywhere on the leapcard site?!
    when i click on history i get this info only..

2 LeapCard.ie website Travel Credit Top-Up 19/01/2012 8:56 AM €10.00 €10.00

I've used it several times so it's def not 10 euro left on it, last time i remember the balance on the bus it was at 2 euro or something!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,219 ✭✭✭markpb

The website only updates when it receives batch updates from each of the operators, generally overnight although it can be slower. You can check your balance at a TVM at any Luas stop, at any Payzone agent and on any Dublin Bus (put the card on, check the little display that's facing you, take the card off and do a runner before the doors close) ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

How is it that the Luas machines can get your balance on demand (or does it?) but not the website?

The balance is held on your card, not on a server somewhere. None of the devices (Luas tvm, Luas validators, DART gates or DB ticket machines) are connected directly to the backend, the website can only be updated when they report it.

This is also why you have to collect your online topup from an operator (other than DB) - your card has to be updated so it can't be done over the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

The fact that the balance is on your card clears up a LOT of questions swirling around my brain.

The collect-your-topup thing, is that also the case in London with the Oyster card?

Also regarding the topup, it says online that it will take between 24-48 hours to push the topup request out to the validator of your choice. Couldn't they just do this batch process every hour or so? Or am I missing something obvious?

The collect-your-topup thing, is that also the case in London with the Oyster card?

Yes and no :) If you buy a ticket online in London, you have to collect it at a specific tube station, just like here. However, they have a nice system in place for buses - if your balance falls below a threshhold, the bus will automatically give you more money. That night, the bus uploads all those events to the backend which causes a direct debit to happen, taking the same amount of money from your bank.
    Also regarding the topup, it says online that it will take between 24-48 hours to push the topup request out to the validator of your choice. Couldn't they just do this batch process every hour or so? Or am I missing something obvious?

It's a good question, I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The fact that the balance is on your card clears up a LOT of questions swirling around my brain.

Been referenced a few times before and yeah, it'll work in the same way. Some people tend to get caught in on the auto topup feature they have implemented and don't seperate the 2 different types of top-ups. Auto Topup is a feature due on Leap as well.

Probably a result of over estimating how much volume they could be expecting per batch. Working along side a finiancial company before, they did similar kind of transactions as a batch job over night so as not to impeede performance during production time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Also regarding the topup, it says online that it will take between 24-48 hours to push the topup request out to the validator

I asked about this before, and was told it's because there is a high level of manual supervision with the system currently. Lag times should be reduced as confidence improves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

n97 mini wrote: »
    I asked about this before, and was told it's because there is a high level of manual supervision with the system currently. Lag times should be reduced as confidence improves.
    Sounds like they are doing the top-ups manually

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Sounds like they are doing the top-ups manually

Oh dear God, not this again.

Advertisement