Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Legalities of 'Raffling' off house

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Spotted that one as it's a promoted tweet on Twitter. Tickets £10 each so will work out at more than €11 and there are 60,000 available. No way that house is even worth €300k. Even with 5% going to charity there's a potential for a massive profit. One media outlet has picked it up and framed it as a kind thing to do. Like wtf??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Browney7

Caranica wrote: »
    Spotted that one as it's a promoted tweet on Twitter. Tickets £10 each so will work out at more than €11 and there are 60,000 available. No way that house is even worth €300k. Even with 5% going to charity there's a potential for a massive profit. One media outlet has picked it up and framed it as a kind thing to do. Like wtf??

Isn't the charity piece not just a licencing/legal dodge to get around lottery laws?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Kashmir21

Reading this thread and just thought I'd throw this out there...

I know a guy who ran the social media campaign for one of these 'Win a House' competitions a few years back. When the ticket selling was nearing complete, he was able to see (via back-end access to the web shop) that a huge majority of tickets were still not sold. So with this knowledge he hedged his bets and got his wife and presumably family members to buy 5, maybe 10x tickets which would obviously increase their odds of winning. And as luck would have it when the draw was made, his wife was the lucky ticket that was pulled out!!! The house was valued at €285,000 and they cashed it all in (tax free) for the financial equivalent. I still to this day cannot believe that the GAA club running the competition, did not spot this and call it out as a conflict of interest. But there you have it, that's what you're up against with these competitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

• Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

One Raffle that I flagged at the earlier in the thread based in Limerick didn’t come near it’s total I think. Cash prize of 60k was given instead of house.

1) Did the nominated charity still get its funds?

2) Did the creator of the raffle get something?

3) Obviously Raffal would’ve taken a cut too

*the total prize given to the ‘winners’ if I remember right is 75* of whatever was raised

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I saw on the Irish Motor Neurone Disease association that a raffle a house draw they were affiliated with has been cancelled. Someone won a cash prize and the association got a miserly €1000 euro.

Grim

These leeches using charities as a ‘pull’ for the raffles really piss me off. Almost using them as a sympathy vote at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

If it's run by raffl, then it follows a process.

Basically if you don't sell enough tickets raffl get their fee, the rest is given as prize and charity and any costs are yours to bear.

So it's not the win win people think and many people are wise to these draws.

Different if you know that the funds go to a local gaa club or other good cause.

Do you not believe me?

This is the absolute truth. Few people know about it and the club obviously thought it was kosher enough to allow, but it's a definite conflict of interest in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Caquas

This is not a conflict of interest. He bought a lot of tickets because he saw they were good value. What’s wrong with that? It could be “insider trading” if the information was kept hidden but whose fault was that? The problem is that the club must have lost money I.e. the total ticket sales were less than the value of the prize (the house).

Four takeaway coffees for ten euro lol ...try 16 euro at a mimium

I don’t think I’ve seen a coffee (americano anyway) cheaper than €2.50 other than McDonalds/Sol

On the flip side, not sure what kinda rip-off €4 coffee you’re getting

Latte, capichino ect

Fairly sure so that you picked on the guys’ comment for no reason so. He hardly meant lattes and cappuccinos ffs

Generally speaking immediate family members are not allowed to enter in to competitions, where there is a direct connection to running the competition. Add to this, the fact that they had inside knowledge on ticket sales which they potentially used to their advantage. Or maybe it was just complete luck... 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭Raichu

being a bit of a c u next Tuesday tbh. “Um akshually you can only get 1 and a half skinny iced frappes from Starbucks for €10, mate.”

coffee is coffee and I can promise you without a doubt there’s many a location to buy a takeaway coffee for €2.50 or less. As if that really matters anyway…

Advertisement