Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why do people hate on SUV drivers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

092409-Rodney-King.2e16d0ba.fill-661x496.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,631 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

0lddog wrote: »
    Do This !

Reverse in drive out is proven to be safer than the opposite

( People hate SUV drivers ? - I doubt it )

There is an eegit (not a SUV driver) who reverses out of his entrance onto a main road blindly Every. Bloody. Morning. He even has room to turn inside in his property, but chooses to chance his arse instead.

Why the absolute thundering fcuk do people do this??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

colm_mcm wrote: »
    we should remember the difference between an SUV and a crossover.

Yes, you're right. My own story related to a Crossover, not an Suv.

I feel that crossovers are definitely utility vehicles, and know a couple of owners. Like amacca , they bought them for their 'utility ' rather than as statements, or for the ability to own the road. But I see others that have never carried a toolbox or pulled up a tree stump, but are driven in a way that suggests that the driver feels unbreakable.

I may have wandered a bit away from the point of the thread , to eh, hate ON Suv owners. I don't, I just make sure to not park beside one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭Hoboo

maddness wrote: »
    Totally agree with all of the above and also always worry about pedestrian safety too. If you are hit by a car at 30-40kmh you will most likely come away with injuries but if a SUV hits you at the same speed it will most likely kill you.

If you're hit by a bicycle at 40km it causes less damage than a car.

Should we all just walk?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,631 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I have a theory. Range Rovers, X5's and other premium SUV's have become "cool" over the last 10-15 years for a variety of reasons including:
    • Footballers having them
    • "Celebrities" being ferried around in them
    • US tv shows showing them as being almost a requirement for living
    • Marketing efforts that show them as being the safest place on the road for your family

People that can afford the RR, X5 or Cayenne have gone and bought them and waft around in an air conditioned tank secure in their purchased sense of superiority.

For everyone else, there's the various Tucsons, Santa Fe's, Quashqais and (most tragically) the X3.

I think that's about it. They want the RR, do the sums and end up calling into their local Hyundai / Nissan / etc. dealer and do the deal.

I should probably add that I don't particularly care what people drive, I've just had this chat with a mate recently about why people are drawn to them.

The poor man's SUV. All fur coat, no knickers. Stripped down Paddy-spec too.

• Advertisement

I don't hate SUV's but I do wonder why you need a ford ranger to pootle about Cork city centre. There's loads of these things about lately. None of them look like they have ever gone off road or even near a puddle of mud! They just look like a gigantic expensive status symbol to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Wasn't this already done a few weeks ago?

It sounds like people are considering crossovers as SUVs :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 84,341 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Why do jeep drivers think taking over two parks is acceptable, that irks me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Allinall

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

They're both usually very wide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

I hate suv drivers, I also hate bmw drivers even though I drive a bmw, starting to think now that it’s not about them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

garv123 wrote: »
    It sounds like people are considering crossovers as SUVs :confused:

There's a somewhat legitimate hate of hate truck based SUVs from the US, which has been transposed to Irish people hating on Hyundai Kona's which is basically a tall hatch and calling it an SUV.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Timooo_23

I only dislike them for one reason, they don’t have adequate mud flaps.

Rainy conditions and massively wide tyres lead to monumental spray thrown higher than most cars windshields.

Makes motorway travel sketchy in smaller cars. I understand why people like higher up heavier cars, but if trucks must have flaps to protect motorists, why don’t SUVs with 305 wide+ 20” wheels?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭micah537

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Plenty of dopes in small hatchbacks do this also. Probably more so than SUVs or large cars. Do they also irk you?

You get ignorant people driving all types of vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭FrankC21

I personally not a huge fan of suv/crossover, majority of the people I saw driving them are women especially with those big xc90, skoda kodiaqs and range rovers. You see them lining up like slugs on the motorway on a blustery windy day. After seeing an nissan x-trail my Fluence have more cabin space.

But having said that, I don't mind owning one, bloody state of the roads specially around Drumcondra pot holes everywhere and around pearse station after you turn at the traffic light two huge pot holes waiting for you. Bye bye suspension.

Edit: images of pot holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

What a fantastic discussion lads

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

As a cyclist, they're pretty horrible to be overtaken by.

As a motorist, they *seem* to be little more obnoxious than other drivers. By nature, I think people feel more protected in an SUV and probably subconsciously drive a bit differently to if they were driving a smaller car.

I just don't see the need for them, especially in cities, don't get the attraction at all. I've always driven city cars though and I'm a cyclist so they're pretty much the total opposite of how I like to get around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,828 ✭✭✭kirving

Whatever about the cost vs a similarly sized estate car, I really think a SUV should require another licence category or supplementary test. Learning to drive in a 820kg K11 Micra, is worlds away from driving a 2400kg X5.

Forget parking, I can't count the number of times I've had SUV's coming toward me on a country road, way over the line, and with the driver not aware of their size at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,006 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Maybe they don't like the chances of one of their children getting squashed by the SUV?

https://twitter.com/conormolloy/status/1376240735868104708?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭BnB

It's probably (almost definitely) incorrect terms but I'd call the likes of Tiguans, X3's, Tusons etc....SUVs and I'd call a Pajero or a Landcruiser or something like that...a Jeep. I'd say that'd be fairly standard down the sticks here

• Registered Users Posts: 21,971 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Anyone with bull bars deserves the hate, imo.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭MrCostington

I just done get them, at all, but whatever people wand to spend their money on is fine with me.

However, as a saloon driver, what I REALLY don't like, is being blinded by their headlights at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭rdhma

An SUV has true off-road capabilities, a crossover is an imitation off-roader, mostly lacking four wheel drive. Some are even larger than the real thing though, compare an Audi Q7 with a Land Cruiser.

OK, some will take a different view on those definitions, but the point stands.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Maybe they don't like the chances of one of their children getting squashed by the SUV?

Demonstrates problem with cars on Irish roads by presenting evidence using US style SUVs which aren't sold here. Would be interesting to see a similar study based on popular cars here.

https://twitter.com/conormolloy/status/1376240735868104708?s=19

Agree with this, especially where I live, there's about 20 kids running around with their scooters and small bikes, and sometimes they just appear out of nowhere like mushrooms, imagine reversing out of the driveway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

As a bus driver, I detest the things and I think they should be banned from urban areas. In addition to the fact that the larger ones take up far too much space on the roads, I've found that people who drive them often seem oblivious to what's going on around them. The high-up driving position is irrelevant when you feel so comfortable, safe and detached from your surroundings that you can't be bothered looking beyond the end of your own bonnet. I actually watch out for them now and find myself taking preemptive action to mitigate against their stupidity. Turning left at one particular signal-controlled t-junction, I indicate later than I normally would and position the bus in a certain way that makes it blatantly obvious that I'm absolutely not at a bus stop and should not be overtaken. This is because I've had seen so many idiots (always in SUVs) overtake me and find themselves trapped on the wrong side of the road, with nowhere to go, thus blocking the entire junction.

I've lost count of the number of times I've had them drive at me on narrow roads, expecting the bus to somehow be able to get out of their way. I recently had one guy in a Range Rover demand that I reverse a 11.5 metre bus because he didn't want to mount a pavement. Had he been reading the road properly, he'd have been able to back off slightly when he saw the bus approaching - which would have meant we could pass each other safely and without drama. Instead, there was an eight minute stand-off and huge tailbacks both ways. Entitlement and obliviousness make for a dangerous combination.

And more times on the motorway they fckin tailgate you and flash you that I should give way to them acting like they own the road. Juke and ecosport are bloody horrible looking car hate the look of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

FrankC21 wrote: »
    Agree with this, especially where I live, there's about 20 kids running around with their scooters and small bikes, and sometimes they just appear out of nowhere like mushrooms, imagine reversing out of the driveway.

As an observation the road I live on also has a lot of young kids playing and most people drive up around the corner slowly but the suv drivers don’t slow down at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,006 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

liamog wrote: »
    Demonstrates problem with cars on Irish roads by presenting evidence using US style SUVs which aren't sold here. Would be interesting to see a similar study based on popular cars here.

Sure, the very largest ones in the study aren't sold here, but most of them are comparable with models on sale in the Irish market.

Results are scary.

549406.jpg
    549407.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 84,341 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

micah537 wrote: »
    Plenty of dopes in small hatchbacks do this also. Probably more so than SUVs or large cars. Do they also irk you?

You get ignorant people driving all types of vehicles.

True but I have came across mostly jeep drivers

• Advertisement

Sure, the very largest ones in the study aren't sold here, but most of them are comparable with models on sale in the Irish market.

Results are scary.

The only comparable one to the Irish market was the Tucson, which has a 1m blind spot with a driver who's 5'4. vs a 35cm blind spot on the Corolla.

I wonder do NCAP include something along these lines in the EuroNCAP rating, they do seem to put a high value on pedestrian safety measure.

Advertisement