Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faddy trends in home design

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

A corner chopped out of the house and replaced with windows

Cheap slate/stone slabs glued onto the wall to give it that fake Aran Islands look

"Darth Vader" pointy windows

Air source heatpump fitted at an exorbitant price

Plastic slide and other childrens play stuff rotting in the garden

Site completely bare, only grass, concrete and maybe bit of gravel.

Sh1tty ikea and other particle board furniture

No paint on the outside

Island, uTility room

Tiles everywhere

Anything that could possibly make the place look cosy or give it character quickly horsed into the skip

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

We bought a grey house. It started at the front door and just got worse from there. Kitchen units, kitchen walls, all blinds, all rooms including the hall stairs and landing with the bathroom as the only exception. Two rooms are further enhanced by feature walls featuring ugly grey and black wallpaper. It's relentless. Grey goes with everything but they just paired it with more grey? It's cold and grim.

The de-greying has begun, we're on our second room.

I hope mirrored furniture and glitter backing on stairs goes away.

Doniekp wrote: »
    Hot Water Tap

What brand one did they have?
    They must of had a faulty one or low water pressure in the house.
    Our tap does:
    mains water
    Cylinder hot water
    Filtered mains , the flow is reduced as it runs through a filter.
    Boiling water.

why would you need to use a kettle when you have instant hot water tap??

Some of your other dislikes i agree with.
    But unless to can build a very big house you can run into some of those issues

I love the idea of them and I'm sure they are safe. But something about having a pressure vessel full of superheated water in my kitchen makes me nervous.

Agree with Ubbquittious about corner windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,703 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Imitation shutters.

I want to make my house look like a Lego house but with the added stupidity of useless shutters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭RTighe

It's not the sliding doors that are a silly fad, it's specifically the 'barn door' style. Sliding doors are practical in lots of ways. The pseudo-rustic barn door setup is laughable.

Ooh, i think i know the types you're talking about!
    its been so long since i've been in someone elses house!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

glitter backing on stairs goes away.

Now this sounds good :o

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Having lived in a (relatively big and well thought out) open plan apartment I will never have an open plan kitchen-diner-living room. Even if the washing machine and tumble dryer are in a utility.

My wife (and the mother in law) love hanging things off the inside of door handles.
    Drives me bananas especially now with a toddler going through a sleep regression and they bang off the doors as you move around.

In an example of great timing I threw them into a cupboard earlier this morning after knocking against one at 3am this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Doniekp

ronoc wrote: »
    I love the idea of them and I'm sure they are safe. But something about having a pressure vessel full of superheated water in my kitchen makes me nervous.

We have the vessel fitted behind the back of the press in the space between the press and the kick board on the island. It cant do to much harm if it ever explodes in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

RTighe wrote: »
    Just on the sliding doors, we went from standard double doors to Sliding doors that recess into the walls. Image attached. Found them to be pretty space saving and blocks off the living room to the kitchen / dining room (yes the downstairs is open plan, with a bunch of items mentioned by previous posters that will probably be dated :D:D)

but in saying that. it does work for us.

I like these.
    The "barn door" style ones are nice too but they only suit certain types of house/ decor. The recessed ones could be put in any house.

I utterly detest the current trend for mirrored furniture/ crushed velvet and door knockers on the back of dining chairs. And "inspirational quotes" on walls (usually found in houses devoid of bookshelves).

If anyone's on Facebook there is a group called "Hunbelievable" which rips the piss out of a lot of this stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Dermot Bannon

Aglomerado wrote: »
    door knockers on the back of dining chairs.

Wtaf?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭NSAman

razorblunt wrote: »
    Drives me bananas especially now with a toddler going through a sleep regression and they bang off the doors as you move around.

In an example of great timing I threw them into a cupboard earlier this morning after knocking against one at 3am this morning.

The toddler?

Poor child!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Wtaf?

Here's some of them. The accompanying tables are also mank. (and expensively so!)
    https://thefurniturecentre.ie/shop/arturo-round-dining-table-grey-1300/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

NSAman wrote: »
    The toddler?

Poor child!

Well ... that explains the knocking sound!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Wtaf?

Never seen this either. I guess it's to pull the chair out from the table?

enda1 wrote: »
    Never seen this either. I guess it's to pull the chair out from the table?

Looks just about big enough for a small child's hand.
    They look like a suite lifted from a hotel, not a nice hotel though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Yes. Yes you are.

Here's what happened:

I said that I don't like ensuites, I consider them an unappealing compromise I am forced to make when I stay in hotels.

You said that hotels have to have ensuites because the alternatives are communal toilets or no toilets.

I said that that is why an ensuite is a compromise. It is a concession I make because it is the least objectionable of conceivable options. A compromise. It is both an ensuite and a compromise. Like the way a twix can be a chocolate bar and a treat.

You said that that a private toilet attached to the room is an ensuite as though that is new information. You added that you are confused, as though that, too, wasn't obvious to everyone else.

Ohhkay:o...............Backs away slowly to hide in the ensuite

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

My entire worldview has changed now hearing there are people who don't like ensuites.

I can only imagine these are people who don't have kids or don't regularly have guests over. A toilet you can use whenever you like and nobody else can, as well as a shower you can use any time of the day or night?

Bliss.

Anyway, I'm sitting here looking at the pebble dash on the back wall of my house and I hate it. I appreciate that it hides the dirt, but it's just so cold and spikey. Much prefer clean smooth external walls in modern builds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

seamus wrote: »
    My entire worldview has changed now hearing there are people who don't like ensuites.

I can only imagine these are people who don't have kids or don't regularly have guests over. A toilet you can use whenever you like and nobody else can, as well as a shower you can use any time of the day or night?

Bliss.

Definitely agree, as someone who uses the toilet regularly in the middle of the night, sharing a bathroom with other people would really annoy me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Stepping Stone

Those massive fake leather reclining 3 piece suites. They’re always too big for the room and ugly as hell. I’ve mainly come across them in black but I do know someone with the black version in one room and cream in another. Hideous.

Stone cladding on that one house in an estate. If you want your house to look completely different to the rest, don’t buy in an estate!

Those mirrored mosaic tiles. Mirrored anything that isn’t an actual bloody mirror on the wall.

Dark kitchens. They’re inevitably badly lit and show the dirt up. Yes, I can see where you’ve had your greasy hands.

Tables with glass tops, especially the ones with some form of metal support underneath. Ugly as hell.

Open plan in standard houses. I’ve been in well designed ones with a huge kitchen, dining and living space together. They also had separate and more formal sitting rooms, studies, utilities, tv rooms and in one case a formal dining room. You could bypass the open space easily. It does not work in the average 4 bed semi-d.

Already mentioned a few times but kitchen islands in small kitchens. Again, if you’ve got the space, it works. If you don’t, just bloody don’t shoehorn one in there. Same for breakfast bars. If you are living in a normal house, you don’t bloody need one. I know someone who got an island with breakfast bar installed but had to get rid of the kitchen table. How does that make sense?

As for the en-suite, how are people using them? It’s a personal space to shower, clean your teeth and go for a pee in peace. I don’t know what sort of things people have seen, but if you close the door, you can’t hear anything. It never smells because it’s liquids only. Again, maybe it’s a case that they’re shoehorned into tiny spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Stepping Stone

I forgot the worst thing. Cool white lights, especially in a house with a monotonous grey and white decor. They’re bloody blue lights. Also, crystal covered lights. They look tacky as hell.

It never smells because it’s liquids only.

Is that the rule now, when buying houses? No sh/ting in the ensuite, it's not designed for that? :P

Anyway, I'm sitting here looking at the pebble dash on the back wall of my house and I hate it. I appreciate that it hides the dirt, but it's just so cold and spikey. Much prefer clean smooth external walls in modern builds.

I live in an estate that has a mish-mash of pebble-dashed houses, and red brick houses. Estate was an 80s build and a few of the houses are getting new dashing done on them around the place now. 2-3 of them so far have opted for smooth renders instead of re-doing the dashing. It's cheaper and cleaner/tidier in my opinion. However, the issue I have with it (as someone whose dashing needs doing) is that apparently you need planning permission to swap over to the smooth render (none of the other houses have bothered, but I plan to sell in future). It's a bit annoying as I know i'd save a few Euro, and get a nicer finish, with a smooth render. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Iguarantee

fits wrote: »
    I really want a boiling water tap for this reason ( as long as they aren’t noisy too)

They're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Bliss.

Many ensuites are just a corner taken out of a bedroom. So you are basically taking a sh1t in your bedroom

Id go even further and say the people who had the jacks in a separate building outside were on to something. Far more hygienic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

• Registered Users Posts: 46 dkav9

Fairy lights everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Seems to me a lot of the problems people have with open plan, ensuite etc are due to poor design more than inherent problems with the ideas themselves.

I'm designing a kitchen at the moment and really can't decide whether go get an island or not. It's fairly large at over 20 square metres but a table might do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭boardlady

Himself is absolutely forbidden from taking a dump in the ensuite ... especially if it is bedtime and I am heading unwittingly up the stairs .. :()

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭boardlady

And we have a very large one which is essentially a separate room from the bedroom - not carved out of it. He is a smelly b***ard!

Advertisement