Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Faddy trends in home design

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

beauf wrote: »
    I actually like it. I can see why people don't. But I like the simplicity of it.

Which, grey, industrial chic or bare/polished concrete?

I think what annoys me more than interiors not to my taste are interiors that arent to the taste of the person living there. They just reflect the current trend and not the individual's likes or dislikes. Same with clothing, and personal styling,really. Some people just want to 'fit in' and worry too much about what people will think of them if they choose a bold colour for their living room walls instead of grey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Prison chic.

Gets you ready for your next ten year interior when the endless monotony of it makes you go postal and run amuck in the neighbourhood with your drinking while shopping on the internet late night purchase AK47.

I guess I don't find visual clutter interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Everywhere grey, ugh, so ugly and uninviting.

I like grey. for cabinets tables etc. With an off white colour for the walls. I'd happily enough start at the front door and paint every wall the same colour until I reached the back door.

I'd hate to live in a house that had colours vomited everywhere.

I don't like the open plan idea even though it can look good. Lived in an open plan apartment with the washing machine/dish washer in the kitchen. Couldn't hear the telly when the washing machine was running. Have some people over and everyone gets to look at the dishes stacked up on the sink etc.

Which, grey, industrial chic or bare/polished concrete?

I think what annoys me more than interiors not to my taste are interiors that arent to the taste of the person living there. They just reflect the current trend and not the individual's likes or dislikes. Same with clothing, and personal styling,really. Some people just want to 'fit in' and worry too much about what people will think of them if they choose a bold colour for their living room walls instead of grey.

Kinda both.

Some people like following fashion. They like new ideas and change their opinions a lot. Nothing wrong with that. I'm probably guilty of doing the oppoiste, doing things because they are not fashionable.

heroics wrote: »
    I like grey. for cabinets tables etc. With an off white colour for the walls. I'd happily enough start at the front door and paint every wall the same colour until I reached the back door.

I'd hate to live in a house that had colours vomited everywhere.....

Visual Vomit is a phrase that stuck with me.

I don't like patterns that much, or wall paper with patterns. Probably how your brain is wired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Doniekp

My mate got one of these instant water boiling taps and it was a nightmare - sounded great on paper and in the showroom but OMG - they had a combined faucet and the cold water had to come theough the same ststem even if it was turned off for ‘instant hot’ and you would literally be ten mjnutes waiting for two glasses of water to fill - to to fill the kettle. Never again! Cost them a fortune to have knstalled and then uninstalled!!!

Dislikes - islands, open plan, roller disco kitchens, tunnel living in a room too narrow to have the couch placed anywhere except alongside the one maIn wall, ‘dresser’ visible from bedroom wardrobes without doors, bedrooms with nowhere for the bed to be placed except facing the toilet door and entrance door. En suites where the view from the bed is the toilet bow. If I wanted prison style living I’d rob a bank and at least have the cash benefit.

Nowhere for bins to be except outside your front window. ffs. If you’ve just spent half a million on a house you want a better view than bins and the eau de brown bin , flies & rotting food in the summer.

Hot Water Tap

What brand one did they have?
    They must of had a faulty one or low water pressure in the house.
    Our tap does:
    mains water
    Cylinder hot water
    Filtered mains , the flow is reduced as it runs through a filter.
    Boiling water.

why would you need to use a kettle when you have instant hot water tap??

Some of your other dislikes i agree with.
    But unless to can build a very big house you can run into some of those issues

Probably not really a faddy design but ensuite toilets.
    Yuck.
    Who decides to put a toilet near their bed???? Jaysis disgusting. I would prefer a big wardrobe. Wouldn't mind a shower but not the toilet.
    Gross.

heroics wrote: »
    I like grey. for cabinets tables etc. With an off white colour for the walls. .

That's not the same as grey everywhere, though, is it? I've seen houses that are literally several shades of grey and nothing else; grey walls, grey doors, grey wood work, grey kitchen cabinets, grey flooring, grey drapery, grey furniture, grey tableware, grey appliances, grey bedding. It is unrelentlingly grim to me. Personally I like a bit of grey here and there for contrast but I cant fathom how anyone would enjoy seeing no other colour than grey, especially when it fits with literally any colour scheme. Each to their own, I suppose, but as long as it is their own and not what some styling guru has told them is on trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

bubblypop wrote: »
    Yuck.
    Who decides to put a toilet near their bed???? Jaysis disgusting. I would prefer a big wardrobe. Wouldn't mind a shower but not the toilet.
    Gross.

Such a weird view point. Do you not keep your toilets clean ?.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

My mate got one of these instant water boiling taps and it was a nightmare - sounded great on paper and in the showroom but OMG - they had a combined faucet and the cold water had to come theough the same ststem even if it was turned off for ‘instant hot’ and you would literally be ten mjnutes waiting for two glasses of water to fill - to to fill the kettle. Never again! Cost them a fortune to have knstalled and then uninstalled!!!

I have one for the last two years and haven't had an issues with it. I'd never want a kettle again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yuck.
    Gross.

There's a late 70s estate near me that'd suit you perfectly - master bedrooms have an ensuite shower and sink, no toilet.

But anyway, that's why they have extractor fans.

Kinda both.

Some people like following fashion. They like new ideas and change their opinions a lot. Nothing wrong with that. I'm probably guilty of doing the oppoiste, doing things because they are not fashionable.

That would be me, also. Its almost pathological. "Oh, skinny Jean's are in? Pass me my flares."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,253 ✭✭✭✭fits

Yuck.
    Gross.

Agree. And en suites are usually pokey. We chose to have a large main bathroom upstairs with two sinks and walk in shower room downstairs. Plenty for us but each to their own.

Yuck.
    Gross.

I heard that was a common mindset when they first moved toilets inside of houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

fits wrote: »
    Agree. And en suites are usually pokey. We chose to have a large main bathroom upstairs with two sinks and walk in shower room downstairs. Plenty for us but each to their own.

Over time, it might do my head in to have to walk downstairs to shower. Much prefer en suite.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

Yuck.
    Gross.

I'm with you on the ensuite toilet. Mank. I always think it's one of the unpleasant compromises you have to make when you stay in a hotel.

Sliding barn doors as interior doors are a current fad. I get the attraction of sliding doors but the whole American rustic thing just looks so affected.

That's not the same as grey everywhere, though, is it? I've seen houses that are literally several shades of grey and nothing else; grey walls, grey doors, grey wood work, grey kitchen cabinets, grey flooring, grey drapery, grey furniture, grey tableware, grey appliances, grey bedding. It is unrelentlingly grim to me. Personally I like a bit of grey here and there for contrast but I cant fathom how anyone would enjoy seeing no other colour than grey, especially when it fits with literally any colour scheme. Each to their own, I suppose, but as long as it is their own and not what some styling guru has told them is on trend.

I guess it depends if you like grey as a colour. I like grey cars. I wouldn't chose to paint a house interior grey. Though that said we are planning to paint a room light grey as we've had pastels for years and are sick of them.

I'm with you on the ensuite toilet. Mank. I always think it's one of the unpleasant compromises you have to make when you stay in a hotel.

Sliding barn doors as interior doors are a current fad. I get the attraction of sliding doors but the whole American rustic thing just looks so affected.

I like the idea of a sliding door. They are very space efficient. But I wouldn't like anything thats a pastiche of something else.

I guess it depends if you like grey as a colour. I like grey cars. I wouldn't chose to paint a house interior grey. Though that said we are planning to paint a room light grey as we've had pastels for years and are sick of them.

I like grey, but to me it needs something to offset it. The beauty of grey, to me, is that it compliments every colour and every colour enriches it. On it's own it's like anti-colour. But obviously, some people love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭BnB

Minier81 wrote: »
    Great space for entertaining until after dinner when everyone is looking at filthy pots and pans while sipping their digestifs!!

That's actually when I find Open Plan really at it's best, when you have a few people over for dinner.

Instead of being hidden away in a separate room slaving away at the dinner while trying to pop out every so often to talk to people, you can be there tipping away at the dinner while chatting to people who are sitting down. The island works well here too as instead of having your back to everyone facing a worktop on the wall, you can be facing everyone.

Same after dinner, instead of fecking everything into the kitchen which slowly turns into a bombsite, you can be tipping away while chatting and filling the dishwasher etc.

• Advertisement

Over time, it might do my head in to have to walk downstairs to shower. Much prefer en suite.

Large shower and large bath upstairs. Walk in accessible shower downstairs.

listermint wrote: »
    Such a weird view point. Do you not keep your toilets clean ?.....

If course I do. What does cleanliness have to do with it?
    Don't particularly want to listen to people having a big **** or even a pee right beside me when I'm in bed.
    Toilets far away from bedrooms please!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Exodus 1811

Don't particularly want to listen to people having a big **** or even a pee right beside me when I'm in bed.

Yea.. Like in the outhouse at the end of the garden!
    Up/down lights on the outside of houses seem to be 'in', along with huge numbers noting what house it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

fits wrote: »

May I ask if you have a shower upstairs?

Our main bathroom only has a bath, the shower is downstairs.

My god does it do my head in, especially as it's off the kitchen...when I moved in first I came out of the shower to unexpected visitors sitting at the kitchen table.....I no longer have kitchen chairs in the kitchen and himself is warned to keep visitors out.

Then if you happen to forget a towel well that's another barrel of laughs.

If someone is at the front door you're shivering in the kitchen till they leave.

I cannot stress how much of a pain in the hole the whole set up is.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Small bedroom worries :P

Yea.. Like in the outhouse at the end of the garden!
    Up/down lights on the outside of houses seem to be 'in', along with huge numbers noting what house it is.

On the big numbers thing, this is soooooo handy for emergency services, honestly. Some estates have the numbers all over the place and houses with no numbers or really small numbers. Just an aside..

listermint wrote: »
    Small bedroom worries :P

Maybe!
    Bedroom big enough to have a hallway between it and the toilet is perfect!

• Subscribers Posts: 40,988 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

each and every material that is made to look like a different material

formica that has wood effect / marble effect etc
    pvc that has wood effect
    concrete that is moulded to look like paving or brickwork
    new timber distressed to look like old wood
    mock plastic chimneys

May I ask if you have a shower upstairs?

Our main bathroom only has a bath, the shower is downstairs.

My god does it do my head in, especially as it's off the kitchen...when I moved in first I came out of the shower to unexpected visitors sitting at the kitchen table.....I no longer have kitchen chairs in the kitchen and himself is warned to keep visitors out.

Then if you happen to forget a towel well that's another barrel of laughs.

If someone is at the front door you're shivering in the kitchen till they leave.

I cannot stress how much of a pain in the hole the whole set up is.

Yes. Massive shower. Massive bath. Two sinks. Loadsa room.

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    each and every material that is made to look like a different material

formica that has wood effect / marble effect etc
    pvc that has wood effect
    concrete that is moulded to look like paving or brickwork
    new timber distressed to look like old wood
    mock plastic chimneys

Big time!

Advertisement