Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Speeding ticket

• 14-02-2021 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

I got a postal notice of an €80 fine for speeding (68 in a 50 zone IIRC) back in September.

I filled in all my details on the form, paid the fine and got a receipt. How do the penalty points work? I didn't send them my license so how are points administered?

Do I need to notify my insurance company? Now or at renewal (June)?

Is it likely to affect my premium? I'm driving 40 years without a claim (touch wood).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

I got a postal notice of an €80 fine for speeding (68 in a 50 zone IIRC) back in September.

I filled in all my details on the form, paid the fine and got a receipt. How do the penalty points work? I didn't send them my license so how are points administered?

Is it likely to affect my premium? I'm driving 40 years without a claim.

You should get another official letter stating the date the points are applied to your licence (supposed to be 28 days after payment I believe, but with Covid maybe there are delays?).

Most insurers say under 4 points makes no difference to premium. You do need to tell them thouhh, it can invalidate your insurance not to do so, and if there is an accident and they haven't been informed then, they can refuse to pay out.

I had two in the past, told the insurance company the week they were applied to the licence, and found no issue with my premium for the 3 years they were there, but they are gone a few years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Is it likely to affect my premium? I'm driving 40 years without a claim (touch wood).

Well, if you filled all the details on the form, you also provided drivers identification number...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

grogi wrote: »
    Well, if you filled all the details on the form, you also provided drivers identification number...

Well presumably I did. I can't remember. But I haven't received any further notification yet regarding penalty points! Must be 4 months now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

You can ask them directly. email: info@ndls.ie or 0761-087-880.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

When I paid my FCPN I got the letter from the RSA 2 days later stating points would be put on 28 days later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭newmember2

Well presumably I did. I can't remember. But I haven't received any further notification yet regarding penalty points! Must be 4 months now.

Have you moved house or is the address on your licence your current address?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭newhouse87

anybody not paid ticket and went to court?, alot of them meant to be getting thrown out.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,058 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

newhouse87 wrote: »
    anybody not paid ticket and went to court?, alot of them meant to be getting thrown out.
    Could be thrown out if signage was poor in the area you were caught in, I wouldn't risk it unless you have a solid case as you will end up getting more points appealing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Lots get thrown out but if you're the unlucky one you pay for it I suppose.

Really if your done and you have no others its no big deal, also was your own fault haha.

Then again maybe i am too compliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

ari101 wrote: »
    Most insurers say under 4 points makes no difference to premium. You do need to tell them thouhh, it can invalidate your insurance not to do so, and if there is an accident and they haven't been informed then, they can refuse to pay out.

I also got 3 points back in Sep for doing 89 in an 80 zone that previously was 100. Paid the fine and when I renewed my insurance a couple of weeks ago they applied a €48 loading for the 3 points, that was the renewal quote with 123, tried pretty much every other insurer and nothing came within €50 of the renewal quote received.

How does anyone get insurance with 6 or more points or even worse with a conviction or endorsement.

3 points for speeding is excessive I believe, especially if marginally over. There's no consistency between the points and the offenses such as "Driving a vehicle on a motorway against the flow of traffic" is only 2 points when it should be an automatic ban given the dangers involved. Another stupid one is "Driving on a footpath" is only 1 point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

I also got 3 points back in Sep for doing 89 in an 80 zone that previously was 100. Paid the fine and when I renewed my insurance a couple of weeks ago they applied a €48 loading for the 3 points, that was the renewal quote with 123, tried pretty much every other insurer and nothing came within €50 of the renewal quote received.

How does anyone get insurance with 6 or more points or even worse with a conviction or endorsement.

3 points for speeding is excessive I believe, especially if marginally over. There's no consistency between the points and the offenses such as "Driving a vehicle on a motorway against the flow of traffic" is only 2 points when it should be an automatic ban given the dangers involved. Another stupid one is "Driving on a footpath" is only 1 point.

Disagree, if anything we need more cameras on the road and harsher penalties which scale according to how far over the limit you are, plenty of people tearing around at ridiculous speeds. You actually can't drive the speed limit without having people tailgate you, flash, undertake in bus lanes, mentality here around speeding is awful. Considering car speedometers read low (anywhere from few-10%) and there's a few km/h leeway, people who get caught speeding know well they're above the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

papu wrote: »
    Disagree, if anything we need more cameras on the road and harsher penalties which scale according to how far over the limit you are, plenty of people tearing around at ridiculous speeds. You actually can't drive the speed limit without having people tailgate you, flash, undertake in bus lanes, mentality here around speeding is awful. Considering car speedometers read low (anywhere from few-10%) and there's a few km/h leeway, people who get caught speeding know well they're above the limit.

There aren't any bus lanes where they do speed checks. I agree, move them there please.

The state of their traffic twitter. When its not someone drunk its someone suspiciously doing 100 in an 80 or 80 in a 60 or 120 in a 100. Almost as if they are relying on catching people at the change between two limits.

They can imagine that's for safety all they like but the vans should be in 50 zones with kids and pedestrians and other hazards that require the lower limit.

Instead they rely on catching anyone they can on the thought they are habitual speeders not people just carrying the old limit into the new zone. Its still speeding but its not the speeding that is causing accidents. They seemingly can't tell the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Well, 89 isn't marginally over 80, in reality, as to how fast YOU thought you were driving. If you were caught doing 89, your speedo probably registered 92-94 as all cars have a safety buffer built in. My old Dacia was up to 10%.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

The state of their traffic twitter. When its not someone drunk its someone suspiciously doing 100 in an 80 or 80 in a 60 or 120 in a 100. Almost as if they are relying on catching people at the change between two limits.

Even the most cursory of glances at the speeders highlighted on their twitter shows that this is simply not true in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

but its not the speeding that is causing accidents
    You think? Not sure what to infer as to what does cause accidents. if speeding doesn't. Absolutely, not all accidents are because of speeding. And not all speeding results in accidents. But speeding leads to less time to respond n emergencies that could lead to serious accidents. Being proactive not reactive to potential hazards.

Not being a speed prude, I've had my points in the past [once and I was just being stupid in a high powered car and nothing that I'm proud of] but I really don't get the whole speeding thing. It's not as if speeding is going to get you to your destination in a significantly faster time. You might shave off a few seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭StonedRaider

Insurers always ask if you have received any motoring convictions/points in the past 5 years. Points only apply to your license for 3 years, but you'll still have to declare them for 5 as they keep those details on the insurance database.

User142 wrote: »
    Even the most cursory of glances at the speeders highlighted on their twitter shows that this is simply not true in the slightest.
    Hyperbole sure but there's a thread in here with their tweets ive clicked thanks on a few hundred of them so have seen a good spread of what they are posting. Its either mental stuff or totally pedestrian all getting the same punishments. 80 through a town or 100 on a slip road same punishment and they catch many times more in the safe slip road situations.
    RangeR wrote: »
    You think? Not sure what to infer as to what does cause accidents. if speeding doesn't. Absolutely, not all accidents are because of speeding. And not all speeding results in accidents. But speeding leads to less time to respond n emergencies that could lead to serious accidents. Being proactive not reactive to potential hazards.

Not being a speed prude, I've had my points in the past [once and I was just being stupid in a high powered car and nothing that I'm proud of] but I really don't get the whole speeding thing. It's not as if speeding is going to get you to your destination in a significantly faster time. You might shave off a few seconds.

Sorry I'm not telling anyone to speed. There is a difference between speeding and exceeding the limit was my point. Agreeing with the other poster saying they have people driving dangerously around them. Stuff which is not being given anywhere near the same effort as speed enforcement in my opinion.

Being at 120 on 100 limit road for an extra few hundred metres is illegal but there isn't a measurable danger to it. Its their bread and butter catching people in places like this though. I'm saying they rely on catching anyone they can rather than catching people speeding in areas it physically needs to be enforced better for safety.

The road outside my house is a 50 limit and people are doing 50+ all day long in tractors and all sorts of stuff that wouldn't be able to stop for a child. A guard living on the road knocked someone down, even.

Where are the speed checks? Out on the dual carriageway catching people speeding up to 120 slightly before the motorway starts (they aim about 300 metres before the 120 but you can see the 120 sign. Or holding onto the speed on the reduction side people are caught all day long I hear the sirens

Its total bollocks. They pick the spots that are safe to sit all day and keep catching people over and over. Not where they could actually improve road safety

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Jaysus that was harsh

You were right on the 10% plus 1

They've gone back to shooting fish in a barrel with the new guns, dual carriageways and motorways.

They loose the advantage of the new range in built up areas so couldn't be fuçked checking there as it won't help their file performance numbers ◔_◔

Hyperbole sure but there's a thread in here with their tweets ive clicked thanks on a few hundred of them so have seen a good spread of what they are posting. Its either mental stuff or totally pedestrian all getting the same punishments. 80 through a town or 100 on a slip road same punishment and they catch many times more in the safe slip road situations.

Sorry I'm not telling anyone to speed. There is a difference between speeding and exceeding the limit was my point. Agreeing with the other poster saying they have people driving dangerously around them. Stuff which is not being given anywhere near the same effort as speed enforcement in my opinion.

Being at 120 on 100 limit road for an extra few hundred metres is illegal but there isn't a measurable danger to it. Its their bread and butter catching people in places like this though. I'm saying they rely on catching anyone they can rather than catching people speeding in areas it physically needs to be enforced better for safety.

The road outside my house is a 50 limit and people are doing 50+ all day long in tractors and all sorts of stuff that wouldn't be able to stop for a child. A guard living on the road knocked someone down, even.

Where are the speed checks? Out on the dual carriageway catching people speeding up to 120 slightly before the motorway starts (they aim about 300 metres before the 120 but you can see the 120 sign. Or holding onto the speed on the reduction side people are caught all day long I hear the sirens

Its total bollocks. They pick the spots that are safe to sit all day and keep catching people over and over. Not where they could actually improve road safety

Do you think speeders only do through villages? Any I know do it everywhere

LorenzoB wrote: »
    Do you think speeders only do through villages? Any I know do it everywhere

Exactly so catch them in the villages. But that would lose them their by-catch. Which is my point. They could be catching people who are in the act of being dangerous but they catch as many as they can

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭newhouse87

im going to go to court and chance my arm, even the garda giving me the ticket said lots are being thrown out.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Well, 89 isn't marginally over 80, in reality, as to how fast YOU thought you were driving. If you were caught doing 89, your speedo probably registered 92-94 as all cars have a safety buffer built in. My old Dacia was up to 10%.

Unless the Speedo reads in MPH. It's still the same principle, but a thicker Speedo needle can mean a 5kmh+ "over speed". In fact, one of mine, is in mph, and when that says 55mph, I'm actually doing about 60mph, which is 100kmh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭kirving

To to follow this logic, if my speedo reads 100km/h when I'm doing 140km/h, that makes me less in the wrong?

The only thing that matters is the actual speed at which the vehicle is travelling, not what speed I think it's going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭newmember2

antodeco wrote: »
    Unless the Speedo reads in MPH. It's still the same principle, but a thicker Speedo needle can mean a 5kmh+ "over speed". In fact, one of mine, is in mph, and when that says 55mph, I'm actually doing about 60mph, which is 100kmh

Have you changed the wheels on this or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

papu wrote: »
    harsher penalties which scale according to how far over the limit you are

Personally, I'd be in favour of it being a percentage of your income. I know of a consultant that drove the bus lane in Donnybrook for years as, at the time, it was an €80 fine with no points. So it was worth their time to just take the fine every couple of weeks.

Likewise, I'd be in favour of someone temporarily losing their license for a second offence in rapid succession e.g. Get caught speeding again within 3 months and lose your license for a week. Here in Canada, they take your license for a few days if you are caught with a phone, plus a 2k fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

ironclaw wrote: »
    I know of a consultant that drove the bus lane in Donnybrook for years as, at the time, it was an €80 fine with no points. So it was worth their time to just take the fine every couple of weeks.

When I was much younger I used to do this. But I think the fine was only around €40. Got away with it for two years, but then was caught twice in the space of four days. I was stopped more than that, but usually the Garda was never bothered sending me the fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭Damien360

Personally, I'd be in favour of it being a percentage of your income..

Personally I have an issue with that. If you are on the dole, how much is the fine?

I would much prefer something closer to Belgium where I got my fine once upon a time. Each speed zone (50, 60, 80, 100) had a different multiplier. So 10kmph over in a 50 zone was the multiplier multiplied by 10 and that was massive. But 10kmph over 100 still hurt but it wasn't such a big multiplier. You were punished more for speeding in slower zones where pedestrians are likely to be, which makes sense. They didn't have points at the time. Standard of driving there was iffy but if you added points to the fines it might work.

I cover a lot of miles per week and there is a definite feeling that there are a lot less speeders during daylight hours for the last few months. Not sure how the garda stats hold up against that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,313 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Personally, I'd be in favour of it being a percentage of your income. I know of a consultant that drove the bus lane in Donnybrook for years as, at the time, it was an €80 fine with no points. So it was worth their time to just take the fine every couple of weeks.

Likewise, I'd be in favour of someone temporarily losing their license for a second offence in rapid succession e.g. Get caught speeding again within 3 months and lose your license for a week. Here in Canada, they take your license for a few days if you are caught with a phone, plus a 2k fine.

He'd be very unlucky to be caught every couple of weeks. It would probably be much less frequent.

Penalty points are the best solution for persistent offenders, if our disqualification system actually worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Damien360 wrote: »
    Personally I have an issue with that. If you are on the dole, how much is the fine?

I'm not sure what being on the dole has to with it, it's all relative. €80 to someone on the dole is (broadly) equivalent to someone on €100k a year getting hit with a €500 fine for the same offence.

Graduate fines are common in Canada but their max limit is 100km/h on highways. They are trialling some sections at 120km/h in Ontario at present. This is the Ontario fine gradient:

Speed-Limits-Ontario.jpg

This sign is missing the newest addition which is roadside seizure and license forfeiting. I think it's for being clocked at 160km/h (Or 100mph in old money) which if we consider Ireland, isn't all that uncommon a speed.

Either way, 80EUR is too low for major speed. It should at the very least be a gradient and/or a percentage of income for higher speeds.

• Advertisement

20km/h over in ontario is 63 euro? bargain

40km over less than 200 euro? bargain, 40km/h over our max limit here (160km/h) gets you potential charge for dangerous driving.

there if you get suspended when you retake a written test your points are reduced by 7

their points only last two years

you can get 15 points before only being suspended for 30 days.

their system sounds so much better than ours but is completely the opposite to the point you were making, you can seriously **** yourself up here by doing 161km/h if you get the wrong judge and are a young male driver

The same in Ontario gets you a fine and points that only last two years

Advertisement