Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Collaboration Regarding Fiction. Is it to be recommended?

• 09-02-2021 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭

I have piled up a few things I want to write. I came across a forum that's devoted to just writers. I want to know it it advisable to go ahead and post up my writings there. I'm happy enough working on my own. I'm hesitant to just go into the jumble of threads there, I wonder will it change my writing not for the better.

I want someone experienced that perhaps knows if this type of work sharing is advisable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭km85264

I’m not sure what your question is. What kind of collaboration are you talking about? What kind of writing do you do? What kind of change to your writing are you expecting this collaboration to produce?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

km85264 wrote: »
    I’m not sure what your question is. What kind of collaboration are you talking about? What kind of writing do you do? What kind of change to your writing are you expecting this collaboration to produce?

Any sort of collaboration. Was it a negative experience overall in hindsight? Fiction writing is what I will be doing.

I don't what type of negatives I'd be expecting. Say, do ideas and suggestions from someone else, can they distract you from you own work?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Are you talking about getting feedback on your fiction?

I've heard there are sites where you post up something and then have to provide feedback to others to get some yourself. I can't remember the names of them

Smiles35 wrote: »
    Any sort of collaboration. Was it a negative experience overall in hindsight? Fiction writing is what I will be doing.

I don't what type of negatives I'd be expecting. Say, do ideas and suggestions from someone else, can they distract you from you own work?

To me, collaboration would mean working with other people on writing something together. That’s something I’ve only heard of with fan fiction sites, which are great if you enjoy fan fiction, not necessarily a good way to develop non fan fiction writing. Anything outside of that I have no knowledge of.

If you’re talking about people reading each other’s work and critiquing, that’s always a good learning experience but be careful to select a site where people are trying to help and assist rather than competing for a monthly prize.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

Could you give a link to the forum so we can see if it's possible to ascertain if it has any kind of reputation, either good or bad?

• Advertisement

Livvie wrote: »
    Could you give a link to the forum so we can see if it's possible to ascertain if it has any kind of reputation, either good or bad?

https://www.writingforums.org/

From a flick through of it, it seems to be just a really comprehensively categorised forum. 165 Members online right now. That's not a huge amount. I'd expect more. Then again, writing is a full time thing. If your not doing that your doing something else.

km85264 wrote: »
    If you’re talking about people reading each other’s work and critiquing, that’s always a good learning experience but be careful to select a site where people are trying to help and assist rather than competing for a monthly prize.

Can I ask is this from experiance? You made some steady progress on some beefy work?

Smiles35 wrote: »
    Can I ask is this from experiance? You made some steady progress on some beefy work?

Yeah, I’ve been writing for many many years now, predating the internet if you’d believe such a thing.
    I had a look at writing forums.org and I’d say go for it, they look like a good bunch of folks. I searched my email and found a join up mail from three years ago but I don’t remember using the site; I guess I didn’t find any forums that took my interest, but if you find it interesting then you can’t go wrong swapping some of your writing and contributing back. Developing a good relationship with online writers can be a very enjoyable part of writing.
    As you say though, writing - the creative part - eats your free time so you don’t want to get too deep in it, hence my warning about the competitive sites, there’s people on there gang reading stuff just to get their ratings up.
    Best of luck, and come back and let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Henryjonesxyz

yes this type of writing is advisable

Advertisement