Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Galway espresions for use in an American novel

Options
  • 29-01-2021 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I am writing a comic thriller novel based in Colorado and Wyoming, USA but with a key character from County Galway. Seamus was involved in deadly IRA actions as a teenager, fled to the US and survived as fugitive while carrying on his own intrigues for for forty years. I would like to sprinkle a few very Galway expressions in his speech. Any suggestions?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

I'd suggest posting in the Galway thread under Regional.

Also determine if it county Galway (rural) or Galway city.

for the city, it would be stuff like:

- calling people "aul shtock"
    - calling women "love" or "loveen"
    -a term of endearment "me aul segotia"
    - adding "een" to the end of people's names "pateen, seaneen, noeleen"
    - how are you doing? answer: "grand now"
    -I want to tell you something : "c'mere to me"
    - no way! - "shtop!"
    -the police are called "shades"

Loads more, but as I said depends where he is from. If you choose Tuam, then they have a whole dialect, Tuam shams.

Connemara is a whole other ball game too, but also might be more realistic for the IRA connection as it's traditionally been republican and a lot of connemara folks have emigrated to the US over the years. A lot of the lingo is a mix of english and irish out there.

Good luck with the book!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭km85264

Simongurnick, I’d never heard of old segotia but my wife immediately said it was a Dublin expression, and as it turns out the Irish Times tends to agree

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/ifs-and-butties-and-old-segotias-an-irishman-s-diary-about-dublin-words-for-friend-1.3483351

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jeph13

Would agree figure out where in Galway as there can be a fair variety of sayings from area to area? Let us know and if I can add any that will help I’ll put them up.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

It's also worth remembering that slang has changed over the years. Phrases that are popular today might not have been when your character was young.

I'd be skeptical about a few of the suggestions given above as well. ;)

km85264 wrote: »
    Simongurnick, I’d never heard of old segotia but my wife immediately said it was a Dublin expression, and as it turns out the Irish Times tends to agree

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/ifs-and-butties-and-old-segotias-an-irishman-s-diary-about-dublin-words-for-friend-1.3483351

Come from galway and heard it many times. Maybe not exclusively galway then.

• Advertisement

It's also worth remembering that slang has changed over the years. Phrases that are popular today might not have been when your character was young.

I'd be skeptical about a few of the suggestions given above as well. ;)

You from Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭TobyHolmes

LPGriffin wrote: »
    I am writing a comic thriller novel based in Colorado and Wyoming, USA but with a key character from County Galway. Seamus was involved in deadly IRA actions as a teenager, fled to the US and survived as fugitive while carrying on his own intrigues for for forty years. I would like to sprinkle a few very Galway expressions in his speech. Any suggestions?

wow best of luck!

try this thread https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?t=2056049025

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

You from Galway?

Were Galway people really calling the Gardaí "shades" 40 years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Check out some old documentaries. Not only will you hear expressions but also see where shops were located etc.

Were Galway people really calling the Gardaí "shades" 40 years ago?

He said over forty years, not forty years ago and for what its worth, I am 40 and they've been called shades all my life.
    Based on your answer I'll take it you are not even from Galway at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

He was in the IRA as a teen...in Galway?

Advertisement