Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

147/1 - Snooker Betting Thread

Options
  • 13-12-2020 9:06am

Scottish Open Final - Mark Selby v Ronnie O'Sullivan. Today 1pm Quest and Eurosport.

As much as I like Ronnie, his antics this week are strange to say the least. He mentioned in his interview that he would like to see Jamie Jones get to the final (although he said he had nothing against Mark :) ).

Apparently Selby was saying Ronnie is making excuses about his tip etc.. He must still be pi55ed about that WC semi final where Ronnie threw caution to the wind, and didn't play proper snooker ;) . I think Ronnie was right on that score myself to just have a bash.

In this comp it's not as if Ronnie has been "falling over the line" in all his matches; but the amount of mistakes he's being making is astounding. For the most part he hasn't really been cavalier; as he still plays many correct shots when he's nowhere near his best, or not getting the run of the balls.

Still; with the amount of chances he's gifted his opponents, most of the top players would have taken him out already. In his semi final he was up against Li Hang, who was only in his second ever ranking semi, and the occasion surely got to him. The Rocket's previous match against Ding should have seen Ronnie beat as well - I think he was 3-0 down in a race to five. Ding is a player who; rightly or wrongly is perceived; at least in the last few years, to not always have the attentiveness or application required at the top level, so I feel the Chinese superstar let that one slip away.

This final is 10/11 for either player to prevail. Unless Ron has come to terms with his new tip, or whatever it is that has made him be so error strewn, it's hard for me to see anything but a Selby win today. There is probably no one better (or worse :p) than the jester for strangling the life out of his opponents when he's got the upper hand. I doubt Ronnie will get more than 1 chance in the majority of the frames, and should he get more, it's likely I feel there will be many balls on cushions making it exceptionally difficult to clear up. He's also had 3 centuries to Ronnie's 1 from their respective semi victories.

I think myself that Mark Selby could well run away with this one. On form it appears he's not only got a good chance of winning it, but winning comprehensively. I think he'll really want to beat Ronnie up today, and I can't say it doesn't look likely that that's exactly how this encounter could pan out.

So I've had a go at Selby -2.5, -4.5 and -5.5 frames at 15/8 , 9/2 and 7/1.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Scottish Open Final - Mark Selby v Ronnie O'Sullivan. Today 1pm Quest and Eurosport.

As much as I like Ronnie, his antics this week are strange to say the least. He mentioned in his interview that he would like to see Jamie Jones get to the final (although he said he had nothing against Mark :) ).

Apparently Selby was saying Ronnie is making excuses about his tip etc.. He must still be pi55ed about that WC semi final where Ronnie threw caution to the wind, and didn't play proper snooker ;) . I think Ronnie was right on that score myself to just have a bash.

In this comp it's not as if Ronnie has been "falling over the line" in all his matches; but the amount of mistakes he's being making is astounding. For the most part he hasn't really been cavalier; as he still plays many correct shots when he's nowhere near his best, or not getting the run of the balls.

Still; with the amount of chances he's gifted his opponents, most of the top players would have taken him out already. In his semi final he was up against Li Hang, who was only in his second ever ranking semi, and the occasion surely got to him. The Rocket's previous match against Ding should have seen Ronnie beat as well - I think he was 3-0 down in a race to five. Ding is a player who; rightly or wrongly is perceived; at least in the last few years, to not always have the attentiveness or application required at the top level, so I feel the Chinese superstar let that one slip away.

This final is 10/11 for either player to prevail. Unless Ron has come to terms with his new tip, or whatever it is that has made him be so error strewn, it's hard for me to see anything but a Selby win today. There is probably no one better (or worse :p) than the jester for strangling the life out of his opponents when he's got the upper hand. I doubt Ronnie will get more than 1 chance in the majority of the frames, and should he get more, it's likely I feel there will be many balls on cushions making it exceptionally difficult to clear up. He's also had 3 centuries to Ronnie's 1 from their respective semi victories.

I think myself that Mark Selby could well run away with this one. On form it appears he's not only got a good chance of winning it, but winning comprehensively. I think he'll really want to beat Ronnie up today, and I can't say it doesn't look likely that that's exactly how this encounter could pan out.

So I've had a go at Selby -2.5, -4.5 and -5.5 frames at 15/8 , 9/2 and 7/1.

Good shout in fairness.

^^^

Thanks Joe..

Meanwhile today, I'm tackling the 1st round matches in the World Grand Prix... It's a theory of mine that with best of 7, the outsider has more of a chance than in a longer format... This is something I've noticed going back 3-5 yrs watching these ITV/Eurosport comps that money can be made more often than not doing combi doubles on the outsiders, especially in the early rounds. That being said, a lot of the big hitters in these best of sevens have fared better in recent (last year or so) times.

So I'm putting that theory into action..

I've tackled 10 of the twelve matches on both tonight and tomorrow. The two I've left alone are generally pickems, so although one might be marginally bigger than the other; I don't really see any outsider in those two encounters which are Perry(10/11) v McGill(5/6), and Lu Ning(3/4) v Robbie (the guy who's quit singing Ron :rolleyes: - hilarious) Williams(evs).

The shortest one I've gone for is Ricky Walden @ 6/5 v The Hawk who's 8/13.

So I've done 45 combi doubles and 10 singles as well for the bulk of tonight's and tomorrow's matches. Haven't put any of Wednesday's 4 matches in, as too many doubles then.

It's not very scientific, and nothing to do with form.. More an 'experiment' really. Since most matches will be on outside tables, and some of the top boys possibly being "hungover" from going deep in the Scottish Open; it's worth a go imo..

Will post % profit and loss from the singles, which are at level stakes, and the combination doubles at obviously level, and much smaller stakes..

Players and #prices taken:

Milkins 7/2, Walden 23/20, Guodong 17/10, Li Hang 6/4, Michael Holt 4/1, Jak Jones 3/1, Ali Carter (against the rocket - hope it's on telly.. could be major entertainment value to be had, if Ronnie turns up that is :pac: :p) 14/5, David Grace 2/1, Martin Gould 29/20, The Viking Kurt Maflin 9/5.

#Have only gone with one of the books on all these prices, so some I presume are perhaps bigger elsewhere; and as well as that, it would make it awkward for the doubles if I had several accounts..

Can well see a few demolition jobs, but I wouldn't make myself long odds against to at least do okay (I hope :D) from the singles ...

Could be a funny week, lot of lads very possibly looking forward to a break so might not be totally tuned up this week.

Walden been showing signs of a small revival in recent weeks, like his chances tonight. Milkins has a couple of good victories over robbo to his name and higgins worth taking on too. Think a couple of those might go well tonight.

Could be a funny week, lot of lads very possibly looking forward to a break so might not be totally tuned up this week.

Walden been showing signs of a small revival in recent weeks, like his chances tonight. Milkins has a couple of good victories over robbo to his name and higgins worth taking on too. Think a couple of those might go well tonight.

If nothing else, it at least should give me a couple of days entertainment... I'm hoping that come the last 3 or so matches that I'll only need 1 of the outsiders to oblige to turn a profit...

Milkman up first here against Robbo - all to play for :P

^^^

Thanks Joe..

Meanwhile today, I'm tackling the 1st round matches in the World Grand Prix... It's a theory of mine that with best of 7, the outsider has more of a chance than in a longer format... This is something I've noticed going back 3-5 yrs watching these ITV/Eurosport comps that money can be made more often than not doing combi doubles on the outsiders, especially in the early rounds. That being said, a lot of the big hitters in these best of sevens have fared better in recent (last year or so) times.

I've tackled 10 of the twelve matches on both tonight and tomorrow. The two I've left alone are generally pickems, so although one might be marginally bigger than the other; I don't really see any outsider in those two encounters which are Perry(10/11) v McGill(5/6), and Lu Ning(3/4) v Robbie (the guy who's quit singing Ron :rolleyes: - hilarious) Williams(evs).

So I've done 45 combi doubles and 10 singles as well for the bulk of tonight's and tomorrow's matches. Haven't put any of Wednesday's 4 matches in, as too many doubles then.

It's not very scientific, and nothing to do with form.. More an 'experiment' really. Since most matches will be on outside tables, and some of the top boys possibly being "hungover" from going deep in the Scottish Open; it's worth a go imo..

Will post % profit and loss from the singles, which are at level stakes, and the combination doubles at obviously level, and much smaller stakes..

Milkins 7/2, Walden 23/20, Guodong 17/10, Li Hang 6/4, Michael Holt 4/1, Jak Jones 3/1, Ali Carter (against the rocket - hope it's on telly.. could be major entertainment value to be had, if Ronnie turns up that is :pac: :p) 14/5, David Grace 2/1, Martin Gould 29/20, The Viking Kurt Maflin 9/5.

#Have only gone with one of the books on all these prices, so some I presume are perhaps bigger elsewhere; and as well as that, it would make it awkward for the doubles if I had several accounts..

Can well see a few demolition jobs, but I wouldn't make myself long odds against to at least do okay (I hope :D) from the singles ...

Don't know why I put that in, or phrased it like that.. When I've being seeing past 'results' from hypothetical combination outsider doubles (best of 7s only), it's usually inclusive of 16 or more matches, the like of which there would be in a day in a comp that had 128, or 64 players to begin with.

I would have been happy (probably preferred - the more the merrier in a free for all type format - this particular one, not so much) to include some, or all of Wednesday's matches in my above singles and doubles, but for the fact that the 4 outsiders tomorrow are Vafaei, Wenbo, Jamie Jones, and Jack Lisowski who are priced at 11/8, 21/10, 11/10, and 23/20. On the whole these are too short.

With larger formats in first, and maybe second round matches the median outsider price is usually at around 9/4 or 5/2, and the average probably 3/1, or bigger. Neither of these 4 matches fit even 1 of these criteria so would only skew the returns with the prices being what they are. Regards averages , and median prices, I am happy with the ones selected.. Am not 'after' ( or midway through :p in this case) 'complaining' or making excuses in advance of anticipated losses :pac: Just didn't set my stall up re tactics/number of investments etc in OP, and wanted to clarify if I attempted it again, and don't want to be seen as 'making it up as I go along'.

If I have another go at this best of 7 outsider backing craic I will most likely do 16, or maybe the best part of 32 players, and will expect to see a fair few priced above 7/2, which is not that likely in a top 32 setup.

The 'experiment' will definitely be on hold for the masters :P , not that it would be a runner anyway, as it's best of 11 to begin with I believe. Yep, will probably be next year's "Home Nations" comps before I get another go at this, but in these strange times it might even be sooner...

• Advertisement

^^^

Thanks Joe..

No good.

Returns: Milkins wins at 7/2, Martin Gould wins at 29/20

Singles P & L:
    6.95pts returned from 10pts invested
    % loss 30.55

Combination doubles P & L:
    2 winners = 1 double out of 45
    11pts returned from 45pts invested
    11pts returned on the only successful double
    % loss 75.5

Zhao Xintong 11/10 to beat Jack Lisowski is today's bet.

To get this far he's had to overcome Jamie Jones; who's fairly solid, by winning 4-2, and John Higgins yesterday; which was televised, by 4 frames to 3.

Lisowski; on the other hand, has beaten the not very reliable Shaun Murphy by 4-2, and what looks like a very good result by beating Milkins 4-0. Didn't see that last match, but it's not a match that 'The Milkman' particularly wanted, as he's known Jack since he was a kid.

Xintong looks like he could be the real deal, and I expect him to win here against Lisowski, who hasn't done much in his career for all that was expected of him. The Higgins victory should set Zhao up nice in this best of nine quarter final that's set to start at 3.45 this afternoon.

Will also double it up with Hossein Vafaei (+2.5) at evens; who looks full of confidence, having beaten Ding 4-1, in today's match against Selby, which is unfortunately on at the same time as the other match.

Both matches are best of 9, and the last of the 1/4 finals matches, with the other two completed yesterday. According to some snooker websites they're on ITV4 and Eurosport both; but I believe that the Eurosport coverage is only available on the continent, and not in Ireland or in the UK.

In tonight's first semi final, which is best of 11, and due to start at 6pm; it features The Rocket v Trump.

Can't resist a bet on Trump (-2.5) at 7/4 here. Ronnie was pretty much gifted last night's match against Wilson. The Rocket is still out of sorts, and nowhere near his best. Trump's long potting, breakbuilding, and all round exceptional safety play should be too much for Ronnie, so a 6-3 (or better) victory looks quite possible. He'll also be eager to get back on the winning trail having just lost out to Robertson in last Sunday week's epic UK championship final.

Also did a treble with the two other selections.

Zhao Xintong 11/10 to beat Jack Lisowski is today's bet.

Beat 5-3 alas; looking at scoreboard he had enough chances. Hope Lisowski does well in this comp, esp if he's playing Selby in the semi.

In tonight's first semi final, which is best of 11, and due to start at 6pm; it features The Rocket v Trump.

Can't resist a bet on Trump (-2.5) at 7/4 here. Ronnie was pretty much gifted last night's match against Wilson. The Rocket is still out of sorts, and nowhere near his best. Trump's long potting, breakbuilding, and all round exceptional safety play should be too much for Ronnie, so a 6-3 (or better) victory looks quite possible. He'll also be eager to get back on the winning trail having just lost out to Robertson in last Sunday week's epic UK championship final.

Also did a treble with the two other selections.

That one lands comfortably :)
    6-1 to the juddernaut..

• Advertisement

Selby v Jack in 2nd semi of World Grand Prix tonight at 7pm? on ITV4.

Nothing of appeal in the last two matches - atm anyway. Selby is 1/4 to beat Lisowski who's 29/10. So, with the odds being so cramped, there's no Selby on the handicap appeal either.

I'm glad Trump is 8/15 to win it out, as that's a few ticks (as they say :) ) shorter than what I'd like...... 8/11 would appeal, but then, on it's own, that's a bit short for a single.

Just for the interest; and it may well be a foregone conclusion early on; I'll do Selby to win by 5-6 frames at 18/5. That's about the only bit of value to be had as far as I can see.

I hope Lisowski wins, and if it's close at midsession I won't be too disappointed, as I won't have much on at 18/5; which seems fair enough pricewise for a small bet.

Selby v Jack in 2nd semi of World Grand Prix tonight at 7pm? on ITV4.

Nothing of appeal in the last two matches - atm anyway. Selby is 1/4 to beat Lisowski who's 29/10. So, with the odds being so cramped, there's no Selby on the handicap appeal either.

I'm glad Trump is 8/15 to win it out, as that's a few ticks (as they say :) ) shorter than what I'd like...... 8/11 would appeal, but then, on it's own, that's a bit short for a single.

Just for the interest; and it may well be a foregone conclusion early on; I'll do Selby to win by 5-6 frames at 18/5. That's about the only bit of value to be had as far as I can see.

I hope Lisowski wins, and if it's close at midsession I won't be too disappointed, as I won't have much on at 18/5; which seems fair enough pricewise for a small bet.

:p Down the swanney already. 2-1 to Jack.

World Grand Prix - Today Sunday 20/12/20 1pm ITV4.

Final (19) Judd Trump v Jack Lisowski

Match Odds: Trump 1/6 Lisowski 4/1

Very difficult to find a decent bet in this at north of evens; so I've gone the 'paper tipster' route and picked out a few at short odds in the #other markets category for a punting interest today.

#Anything bar straight win, or the handicap markets are considered as "other" by me.

My thinking in regards to this match is that it will be a landslide by "The Juddernaut" , and that has mainly induced my reasoning towards these selections.

I think first and foremost that it will be an open match, and that Trump will have more chances than Jack, who may just be happy to be there.

So going the paper tipster route, I will do a points recommendation. 10 points being the maximum; and 1 not necessarily the minimum ie .25pts win, .5pts win etc...

Selections are:

Under 15.5 total frames 3pts EVS
    First eight frames winner Judd Trump 3pts 8/15
    Under 12.5 50+ breaks 3pts 11/10
    Over 2.5 Judd Trump centuries 3pts 6/5
    Any player to get a 147 0.5pts 18/1
    Judd Trump -3.5 frames 3pts 4/6
    Over 3.5 Match Centuries 3pts EVS

That's all for this year :)

Trying hard to be optimistic for jack today but it's demanding. For all his qualities, can't see any facet where judd simply isn't superior and significantly so when it comes to temperament and experience of these occasions. Happy to be wrong but points to 10-4 or 10-5 judd for me. If judd underperforms for some reason, or jack manages to spring out of the traps, we could then have a race.

Trump - Lisowski match a practical wipeout - only 1 from 7 lands, at the shortest odds.. :o

Gone for an acca including all the last 4 matches in the 1st round/last 16.

Robertson v Bingtao: Over 6.5 50+ breaks 5/6
    Selby v Maguire: No deciding frame 2/9
    Ronnie v Ding: Over 1.5 match centuries 8/13
    Higgins v Allen: Mark Allen win 5/6

Pays just over 11/2

Would fancy the over 6.5 50 breaks today. Hopefully not one sided.

Higgins seemed in good form last week, as much as that's worth. Slightly wary on that one.

If I'm hoping the NI man (hope he wins regardless how the others do) wins, I'll be happy enough the first three obliged :)

I think Higgins is vulnerable nowadays myself, as he seems to make more mistakes than he used to 5 or so years ago... Not the player he was.. I'm hoping the no pub factor (as some poster mentioned on this forum somewhere) will be to Mark's advantage :pac: Surely Yan is good enough to win 2/3 frames - that was the thinking there...

Oh no argument there, higgins no way near the player he once was but that just means he's not the world's most dogged and consistent top class match player anymore. But you never know with mark, on his day a match for anyone so if he turns up fully focussed then it'll be a good match i think.

Always mean to look at the ton every match bet for this tournament and of course i always forget. I see it was 18/1 which i think will get a good run for its money. A fun bet to do, if only i remembered to do it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭showpony1

backed Ronnie and Higgins double when Ronnie drifted to 2/1 in-play during the last match.
    I see Higgins is slight favourite - should i consider a cash out?

showpony1 wrote: »
    backed Ronnie and Higgins double when Ronnie drifted to 2/1 in-play during the last match.
    I see Higgins is slight favourite - should i consider a cash out?

WD :)

Bingham v Murphy

Murphy win 6-2 8/1
    Murphy (-2.5) 2/1
    Over 6.5 50+ breaks 10/11
    A match 147 33/1
    Shaun Murphy win by 3-4 frames 3/1
    Over 1.5 match centuries 4/5

Murph just done that over 50 breaks a big favour. Was struggling but decent chance now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭spurshero

What do ye guys think of maguire and bingtao tomo night . I’ve a fancy for bingtao at evens . Think the win over Robertson will bring him on and I think there’s much better days ahead for him .

The overs 50 breaks didnt land tonight. Disappointed with that.

Think i'd slightly favour yan tomorrow, both had good first round wins but you never know which Maguire will show up ftom one round to the next, just so frustrating at times. With yan i think you can trust him to be more solid though his form this season hasn't been the best.

Maguire v Bingtao. Maguire (-1.5) 13/10
    Higgins v Ronnie. Ronnie (-2.5) 13/10

Pays a bit over 4/1.

I think Maguire's experience, and that Ronnie will be too good is the reason for this speculative (although, at just over 5/4 each they're short enough for a 'speculative' double :P) , and more of an interest than anything else investment.

Nothing really jumps off the page as betworthy; maybe Ronnie outright at 11/10.

I think Gilbert is playing the winner of the Maguire/Yan match, and will most likely have a good look at that when it's priced up....

EDIT had a look, and it's Bingham to play the winner of that match... Another headscratcher... Would have fancied Gilbert in that encounter, but can't see Dave beating Ronnie :) Think I'll have to take on Bingham all the same; regardless who wins this afternoon, as he was dire last night was Stuart.

Maguire/ronnie dble is 5/2 on powers.

Wonder will we see another slowish start from ronaldo tonight. Played 27 matches this season, lost opening frame in 18 of them, lost opening 2 in 12. Might just be easing into higher gear now but will look at higgins early lead, interval lead etc prices.

^^^^

5/2 alright.. Not with Power's.. I think spoils have that 'special' at 7/4 :rolleyes: Think outright prices it's about 13/8, with Maguire 4/5, and Ron 4/9.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

I've a couple of quid on a Ladbrokes special. Ronnie to lead after 4 frames, 2 tons and to win @ 5/1

Advertisement