Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DCN Takeaways Still Operating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I have to agree, it's owned by a local family who also own the Old Schoolhouse. They don't seem to have a high turnover of staff, and the staff come across as very happy and friendly around each other. The atmosphere is great, and we've never felt we were being rushed.

I like the vibe, the food is pretty mediocre at best though. I usually pop in before going to the cinema with the missus (back when the world was normal) and just share a starter and have a couple of cocktails of a Friday evening.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It's not gourmet food but it hits the spot now and then, and it's one of our favourite lockdown takeaways. We have it roughly once a month.

It's not gourmet food but it hits the spot now and then, and it's one of our favourite lockdown takeaways. We have it roughly once a month.

They do some things well, which is what you should focus on, and a lot of things quite poorly, like their Pizzas which should be avoided. I learnt my lesson the first few times I visited and tried a fair bit of the menu.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Inquitus wrote: »
    They do some things well, which is what you should focus on, and a lot of things quite poorly, like their Pizzas which should be avoided. I learnt my lesson the first few times I visited and tried a fair bit of the menu.

The Hot Chix menu is definitely worth a try if you haven't had it already :)

The Hot Chix menu is definitely worth a try if you haven't had it already :)

Aye I see them on my justeat now, only a matter of time before I give them a go. I have a very soft spot for Nandos mind, and always get tempted by them on Deliveroo!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

kravmaga wrote: »
    Unfortunately according to their Facebook page they are closing down the business, stating family issues.

Very sad but this is going to be the tip of the iceberg.

I think greedy landlords have a lot to answer for during the pandemic, Cafe Tara should have been offered a discount on their rent/lease by the landlord.

I'm so sad to hear this. I got a coffee and nice bottle of wine there last week but didn't see any signs. Their facebook page doesn't say if they're closed already or if there's still a chance to get one last visit.

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I'm so sad to hear this. I got a coffee and nice bottle of wine there last week but didn't see any signs. Their facebook page doesn't say if they're closed already or if there's still a chance to get one last visit.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/whats-on/food-drink-news/heartbreak-beloved-north-dublin-cafe-19324744

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Shred

I'd have to agree with the positive comments regarding Ruby's; we always enjoy the food and find it very consistent; we were just talking earlier about ordering over the weekend as we haven't done so in a few months.
    As I (and others) have said before, their delivery is absolutely top notch - it's absolutely piping when it arrives - you'd think it was made next door! It's great to see they've expanded their online order choices too. Very strange comment about their staff too, I've always found them very pleasant; you'd usually be left under no illusions when staff are unhappy in Ireland these days!

(I swear I don't work for them :p.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

I would not buy anything from Rubys, never liked the set up, always felt rushed, bums on seats, in and out job. plus I have a source who said they dont treat their staff well, especially non Irish staff.

Just like to clarify its The Betsy not Rubys, cant amend or edit.

My apologies, Ive emailed the Moderator to try and get it changed.

Just like to clarify its The Betsy not Rubys, cant amend or edit.

Explains the crossed wires :) All makes sense now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Explains the crossed wires :) All makes sense now!

yes sorry about that, my partner nearly hit the roof.

Rubys is a great spot, its the Betsy I was in before where I felt rushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Telly

We got Roosters for the first time last night and it was fab. Way nicer than Nandos.

I completely forgot Roosters was there. Is it a similar menu to Nandos?

I always think Nandos is a bit overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Telly

I completely forgot Roosters was there. Is it a similar menu to Nandos?

I always think Nandos is a bit overpriced.

It's the same idea as Nandos but you get more food (too many chips :P) and i thought it was a lot tastier. We'd defo get it again.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Telly wrote: »
    It's the same idea as Nandos but you get more food (too many chips :P) and i thought it was a lot tastier. We'd defo get it again.

Where is Roosters?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Stheno wrote: »
    Where is Roosters?

Beside Five Guys in the Pavs.

Shaker & Vine are still playing a blinder, they're working very hard to keep afloat. We had turkey & ham from there tonight and it was amazing. What's nice is that their roast dinners for two aren't twice the price, just €10 extra. We were stuffed, we couldn't quite finish it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Lantern Jaw

Was that indie spice that went up in flames last night??

I don't think so, they posted on both their Facebook pages yesterday and didn't mention it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭PCros

Was that indie spice that went up in flames last night??

No it was to roof on Hennessy & Perrozzi Solicitors offices.

Right next door but seperate building.

• Advertisement

PCros wrote: »
    No it was to roof on Hennessy & Perrozzi Solicitors offices.

Right next door but seperate building.

I used them to buy our house, I assume their offices were destroyed?

I used them to buy our house, I assume their offices were destroyed?

I haven’t seen it in person but judging by this post I think a lot of it could be damaged.

https://twitter.com/DubFireBrigade/status/1377893110278193153?s=20

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

PCros wrote: »
    I haven’t seen it in person but judging by this post I think a lot of it could be damaged.

https://twitter.com/DubFireBrigade/status/1377893110278193153?s=20

I was down this morning to buy printer ink in the office supplies shop underneath the office, not realising there had been a fire

Got talking to one of the solicitors and the main damage is the roof, ,and water damage to half of the office, the other half is fine.

They are going to move into new premises this week iirc while the building is repaired.

I have a hankering for decent fried chicken, anyone know a joint in Swords delivering good decent, spicy, juicy, crispy fried chicken? Please!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I have a hankering for decent fried chicken, anyone know a joint in Swords delivering good decent, spicy, juicy, crispy fried chicken? Please!

Tony's in Rivervalley does the most crispy chicken normally but I dont think they deliver.

The rest such as proxy and fingal are gone terrible.

The one in seabury is very nice too though.

Hot Chixx and Bam Burger do southern fried chicken but only in burgers. I'd go to the KFC drive through at Northside rather than have it from a chipper though.

Hot Chixx and Bam Burger do southern fried chicken but only in burgers. I'd go to the KFC drive through at Northside rather than have it from a chipper though.

Is that KFC actually open, I know Pavs Swords and Tesco Coolock are shut for the last long long while?

The one in the Omni also closed for good.
    I haven't been down there but according to their website they're open for drive through and takeaway, and deliveries through Just Eat. The one in Blanchardstown is also open.

Is that KFC actually open, I know Pavs Swords and Tesco Coolock are shut for the last long long while?

Just walked through the Pav this morning and the KFC is closed for good, equipment and furnishings all ripped out.

• Advertisement

That's a pity but no surprise really, it was very badly run. Once when I was queueing there a woman tore strips off the manager for the dirt of the seating area. Her husband worked in the KFC head office.

What we need is a drive through in Swords :)

Advertisement