Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eloping within Ireland

• 18-04-2020 9:24pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So the original plan is/was a medium sized wedding in September 2020. Now with the pandemic, our original plan is completely up in the air. The stress of it all is absolutely crippling me. Even if it's feasible to go ahead in September, I can see a huge number of guests declining the invitation due to health concerns. At this point my sister refuses to go, my brother is abroad so might have issues travelling and even my Dad isn't sure if he'd be comfortable attending unless the virus is completely eradicated from Ireland. And that's only my immediate family :( We're currently exploring the possibility of a plan B with our venue, but...

At this point we're considering eloping within Ireland as a possible option for our original date (provided we're not in lock-down again). Literally just the two of us. And obviously our celebrant and two witnesses (but not friends/family).

Is that a mad idea though? How would it work? I don't think we could use our original venue for the ceremony. They have a room to get married in, but it's only if you're using them for the reception also. So we'd need a new venue to get married in. We've hired a humanist who we'd like to keep and aren't keen on the registry office anyway. Any ideas of venues in/near Dublin with a nice room that we could use just to have a short legal ceremony for a small fee? Ideally we'd like to keep it reasonably close to Dublin, so that we can keep a few key suppliers, but further afield isn't a deal breaker.

For anyone who has eloped before on their own... how did you fill the day?

Sorry, this is a bit of a pie in the sky idea atm! Any thoughts welcome though. Even just to tell me that I'm crazy :P I actually felt so relieved just at the thought of it though (aside from the fact that we'd have to do more planning!).

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

I'm probably doing more thinking out loud here than anything else so maybe I won't be that helpful.... but here goes!

As for whether or not it's a mad idea... no, it isn't, in my opinion. For most people it's unthinkable but then most people are very attached to the conventional idea of a wedding and the social aspect of it. In your situation the social aspect is the problem: planning for the number of people, getting them to attend, accommodating everyone else's various... requirements.... is just not feasible right now and isn't going to be for quite some time.
    So no, eloping isn't mad, because it eliminates the social obligations that a conventional wedding imposes.

To my reading it mainly seems to come down to the importance and expenditure attached to the date, am I correct? Apologies if I'm misreading your OP, and don't get me wrong, obviously the date is not a small detail. But for me I don't know if the benefit of eloping would outweigh the hassle of having to plan a scaled down wedding from scratch all over again and then putting up with any fallout from ticked off relatives, and I'd definitely push for postponing it until next year if at all possible. At least if it's postponed, then the stress is gone. We will probably be living with covid-19 well into next year, but the current social restrictions can only be sustained for so long before society has to find a different way to adapt and get on with life. I would sincerely doubt that there would be much impediment to a small-to-medium wedding by this time next year so if all else is equal I would push to postpone.

And if you postpone and certain people are still causing an issue when the time comes, leave them to it!

The only practical consideration I can think of is whether or not the location on the MRF would need to be changed and if there is a charge for that?

At the end of the day it comes down to what you and your fiancé want for yous. I think it would be worth asking your celebrant about it (or contacting another celebrant just to ask the question) if you haven't already. They probably haven't catered for anyone who has eloped but they would probably have an idea of what the best way would be to go about it, even down to a potential venue if they're an experienced celebrant.

Best of luck whatever you decide to do! :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I think you need to figure out what you want first.

What does a wedding mean to you? What does it represent in terms of your life plan?

What does a wedding look like to you?

What practical difference would it make if you postponed for a year?

What difference would it make if you went ahead this year with a much smaller guest list?

A lot of people say they want to be married before they try for children, for instance. And for a lot of people, the wedding is mostly about wearing a lovely dress and having a party. If you fall into either/both of those categories, could you just get married very quietly, as you say, and then plan to throw a big party in a year to celebrate? Forget about a lot of the stressful extras of a wedding (bridal parties, speeches, florists, celebrants, filling a whole day...) and just take the bit that are important to you and have that in a year? But meanwhile, the legal side of things will be done and dusted and you can relax about that. A party is a lot easier to organise than a wedding, and a lot cheaper!

If you're 'eloping', which suppliers are you thinking of keeping, other than your celebrant? Again, could you move them all to be suppliers for a party next year?

I don't know Dublin so I can't suggest any venues, but is there anywhere meaningful to you and your fiancé? Does anywhere jump out as a place you'd like to have that memory made in?

I've had friends that got married in a registry office before their wedding day, as their celebrant couldn't legally marry them, and they just wore nice clothes (but not wedding clothes) and had dinner and/or drinks with their witnesses afterwards. There was no 'filling a day' like on a wedding day, but there was a nice day out :)

Right now, it sounds like you're thinking of eloping as almost having the wedding day but with just two witnesses/guests. I think you probably need to shift from that idea, because I'm not sure how feasible it is (but others may have very different thoughts and experiences!).

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Woodchuck, more potentially sh!t news for you:

HSE have postponed all appointments until end of July. Not even weddings, just appointments. I just saw it this morning.

I've posted a thread about it in legal issues because I'd like to get that clarified.

For us it means that even though I registered my intent to marry in March, it's incomplete as they want the paperwork in person (even though I emailed it in) along with both of us attending the appointment. FFS.

Surely they could 'work through their backlog' by doing video meetings with people sending in their original paperwork. Or a socially distanced meeting.

So I dunno. :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Thanks for that Neyite.

We had our appointment to register our intent to marry earlier in the year and received the "green folder" (marriage registration form) to sign on the day. My understanding is that we can change most of the details on the form on the day if we need to (e.g. change of venue, celebrant, witnesses). I think the only thing that can't be changed as easily is the date (and obviously the bride and groom!). So I think we'd still be ok to go ahead and get married on our original date in September, provided we can find a registered venue to do the deed? And obviously pending government restrictions being lifted.

Did you miss your in person appointment, don't have the "green folder" yet and that's the issue with your wedding in July? :/

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Sorry, I was mixing up the HSE website with the Accord one. :o

Accord have suspended all pre-marriage courses until end of July (that means that the priest we've booked will either have to let us off the hook or allow us to do the online one if we want to keep the original date)

Yes, basically the lockdown happened about 3 days before our appointment. So she said that we could register our intent to marry via email, which we did, but the plan was to follow up with a face to face appointment at some point in the future to get the green folder.

• Advertisement

Ah ok.

I'd imagine priests will have to be accommodating! It would be madness if they didn't accept the online one, particularly if they're not arranging an alternative. In theory they could do a virtual course with a group over zoom or something... they're probably not technologically advanced enough for that, but that's not the couples fault.

You should be ok for the green folder then?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

woodchuck wrote: »
    Thanks for that Neyite.

We had our appointment to register our intent to marry earlier in the year and received the "green folder" (marriage registration form) to sign on the day. My understanding is that we can change most of the details on the form on the day if we need to (e.g. change of venue, celebrant, witnesses). I think the only thing that can't be changed as easily is the date (and obviously the bride and groom!). So I think we'd still be ok to go ahead and get married on our original date in September, provided we can find a registered venue to do the deed? And obviously pending government restrictions being lifted.

Did you miss your in person appointment, don't have the "green folder" yet and that's the issue with your wedding in July? :/

The "Green Folder" is valid for 6 months from the date of the wedding so you can change the date if you need to.

I don't know about the green folder - if their offices don't open before July or if their backlog means they are doing less appointments it might be tight.

but you've your green folder so you are lucky!

I can't recommend any potential venues for you in Dublin as I'm down the country but I know a couple that did the service then an early dinner followed by some drinks in a pub across the road, and it was lovely.

If I get to do the de-constructed wedding similar to you, then we would probably do the service with it getting videoed, then book a table at a restaurant (if they are open!) and maybe an overnight in a hotel (ditto!)? I think. I don't know for sure though.

The "Green Folder" is valid for 6 months from the date of the wedding so you can change the date if you need to.

Yeah and technically they're being more flexible due to the pandemic. The HSE website state:
    Your Marriage Registration Form (MRF) is valid for 6 months after the date you were originally due to marry. If your new date of marriage is within the 6 month period after your original date of marriage you can get a new MRF issued after the pandemic without any additional charges. You can do this after the pandemic by contacting the office where you originally served notice of your intention to marry.

If you are not getting married within 6 months of your original date you will need to contact the office where you originally served notice and give them your new date of marriage. That office will be able to advise you in relation to the declaration you must come in together to sign after the pandemic and you will be issued with a new MRF without any additional charges.

There's a bit of work involved in changing the date though and you can't change the date at short notice (unlikely witnesses etc that can be changed on the day). Our original date is a Saturday, but say if we had to cancel/postpone that and found a small place to just get legally married mid-week instead, we couldn't do that without updating the paperwork first.

I don't know if anyone can answer this because I've had no luck myself... but is there any list available of registered venues where you can get legally married? I know under normal circumstances you can get anywhere registered provided they meet the essential criteria and pass an inspection etc, but obviously that won't be a runner for the foreseeable future. A list would be so handy...

I don't know. I remember looking into it a few years ago and the short answer is to contact a venue to see if they've been approved by the HSE to hold weddings.

https://www.hitched.ie/wedding-venues/civil-ceremony-license-wedding-venues/
    Is this any good?

You might be quicker hitting up a few forums or facebook groups to find something that's suitable for an old-style elopement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Neyite wrote: »
    I don't know about the green folder - if their offices don't open before July or if their backlog means they are doing less appointments it might be tight.

but you've your green folder so you are lucky!

Neyite, it might be useful for you to know that some offices don’t have a backlog, and you can go to any office for your appointment. I know it would be a nuisance to have to drive a bit, but we booked our appointment on a Tuesday and had it on the Thursday. Just so you know!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

jlm29 wrote: »
    Neyite, it might be useful for you to know that some offices don’t have a backlog, and you can go to any office for your appointment. I know it would be a nuisance to have to drive a bit, but we booked our appointment on a Tuesday and had it on the Thursday. Just so you know!

We did something similar.
    Then we booked the first available ceremony date for Dublin but asked for a cancellation. We ended up getting a cancellation which was bang on 3 months after we had our appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Katelyn92

Woodchuck, I'm interested to know what did you decide to do in the end? :)

Myself & my fiance got engaged last summer and we are actually considering eloping too, then having the party whenever we can! Would love to hear how you got on if you went for it!

Katelyn92 wrote: »
    Woodchuck, I'm interested to know what did you decide to do in the end? :)

Myself & my fiance got engaged last summer and we are actually considering eloping too, then having the party whenever we can! Would love to hear how you got on if you went for it!

I'm afraid we didn't go for it in the end. We're still unwed. September will our third attempt. It's all fairly depressing... Sorry :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10 La_Ana

Apologies for dragging up an old thread, but just wondering if anyone knows whether changing the venue on the Marriage Registration Form is straightforward. This thread is the only somewhat relevant result that Google brings up.

During our marriage notification appointment, the lady in the HSE office talked us through having to change the witnesses, for example, but I don't think she mentioned what to do for a venue change. And I know she mentioned the HSE sending a letter to the venue when we registered. So, is it a case of simply amending and initialling the form with the celebrant and witnesses? Or is there more bureaucracy involved?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

We changed our venue last year and it was simply a case of our celebrant crossing out the original venue name and writing in the new venue on the day. Each of us then initialed it. As far as I'm aware there were no issues as we've gotten out marriage certificate since!

Advertisement