Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Point Village Shopping Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭subpar

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

subpar wrote: »

They already have a large office there. Guess they are going to try and consolidate in the one location.

Battle of The 2 Towers

Appeals board rejects council’s Dublin City Councils proposals to limit docklands height increases.

Developer Johnny Ronan plans to build two 40-plus storey towers in the zone in his Waterfront South Central project and Dublin City Council planners have voiced their opposition to the plan.

An Bord Pleanála has thrown out Dublin City Council’s proposals to permit only modest height increases in tower blocks for a strategic site in Dublin’s Docklands.

The appeals board rejected the city council’s proposed amendments to the 2014 North Lotts and Grand Canal Docks Special Development Zone (SDZ) Planning Scheme which allowed for what the board describes as only “minimal” increases in building height in the area.

In its formal direction, board member, Paul Hyde said that the board considers the city council’s proposed amendments “to be a missed opportunity to accommodate much needed residential homes and commercial floor space for a growing and changing population, demographics and employment sector within the city centre on a strategic and well serviced land bank”.

The board pointed out that the proposed amendments to the 2014 scheme provide for an increase of only 225 residential units and proposed increases in commercial floor space were equally restrictive.

Developer Johnny Ronan plans to build two 40-plus storey towers in the zone in his Waterfront South Central project and Dublin City Council planners have voiced their opposition to the plan as they claim it breaches the 2014 North Lotts and Grand Canal Docks SDZ planning scheme concerning building heights.

Now, in a stern rebuke to the council’s proposed amendments to the SDZ scheme, the appeals board said that “options to consider greater housing provision within this strategic location have not been fully assessed and have not been realised”.

The board said that of the 29 submissions received by the council, 21 sought greater height.

The board rejected its own inspector’s recommendation to allow the amendments after stating that it was not satisfied that the proposed amendments fully reflected national policy objectives to deliver compact growth and/or the promotion of height in the Urban Development & Building Height Guidelines given the very minimal changes proposed

On behalf of the board, Mr Hyde said that the fundamental intention of the guidelines was not to introduce height for the sake of height, but to introduce and consider heights and densities as a means of accommodating greater residential accommodation within zoned land banks.

Mr Hyde said that the board was concerned that the implications and potential impact of not facilitating meaningful population growth within the SDZ “could place greater demands to provide housing in locations further away from services and the city centre”.

In a submission, Dublin Chamber had said that the proposed amendments by the council lacked ambition while IDA Ireland said Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) would be promoted by maximising height, density and flexibility.

In response to submissions calling for increased heights over what was proposed, the council said that its amendments were based on sound urban design principles.

A spokesman for Dublin City Council said on Wednesday that the council “will not be in a position to make a comment until we have fully reviewed the decision and the inspector’s report”.

Interesting news regarding house and property values in the area.

Glenveagh secures green light for 702 ‘build to rent’ apartments 6th April 2020
    Dublin City Council in line to buy 71 homes

Glenveagh can now enter talks with Dublin City Council on its plan to sell 71 apartments to it for an estimated €33.4.

House-builder Glenveagh can now enter talks with Dublin City Council on its plan to sell 71 apartments to it for an estimated €33.44 million. This follows An Bord Pleanála giving Glenveagh the green light for 702 “build to rent” apartments at Castleforbes Business Park at Sheriff Street and East Road, Dublin 1.

The development, on a six-acre site 400m from the Spencer Dock Luas stop, comprises of nine apartment blocks ranging from a storey in height to one 18-storey block.

As part of its Part V social housing obligations, Glenveagh is planning to sell six three-bed apartments at an indicative cost of €791,531 each to the city council as part of the proposed €33.4 million deal.

The builder is also planning to sell 14 two-bed apartments to the council at a cost of €641,899 each and 41 one-bed apartments at a cost of €408,074 each. It also plans to sell 10 studio apartments to the council at a cost of €297,323 each.

In a letter to the council, Wesley Rothwell, a director of Glenveagh Living Ltd, said that the figures “are purely indicative and are intended to provide a reasonable estimate of the costs and values of the units based on construction costs prevailing at the time of the application”.

Mr Rothwell said that the ultimate Part V agreement was dependent on the final grant of permission and the site value at the time of planning permission.

Residential density
    In giving the apartment scheme the go-ahead, the appeals board said that the proposal would constitute an acceptable residential density, would not seriously injure the residential or visual amenity of the area, and would be acceptable in terms of urban design, height and quantum of development.

The board accepted that the scheme would materially contravene the Dublin City Development Plan in terms of height. However, the board stated that the scheme is considered to be of strategic or national importance due to its potential to contribute to the Government’s policy to increase delivery of housing.

In giving the plan the green light the board upheld the recommendation of its senior planning inspector, Lorraine Dockery, to grant planning permission .

In a submission, former lord mayor of Dublin councillor Niall Ring (Ind) hit out at the “build to rent” nature of the scheme.

Mr Ring told the appeals board that “this concept is anathema to me, and I, like so much of the community, am against the idea of a scheme which excludes any possibility of a young person/couple being able to get on the property ladder” .

“The idea of a non-resident pension fund owning block after block of apartments in the city must be resisted.”

He added: “Build to rent would, by its very nature, attract a transient population which, according to studies carried out, impact very negatively on the overall social fabric of an area.”

Figures recently provided to councillor James Geoghegan (FG) show that the top price that the city council paid for a Part V home last year was €645,486 paid for a four-bedroom house on Dollymount Avenue.

Mr Geoghegan said that the average cost of a Part V home to the council between 2020 and 2018 was €245,000.

“What the figures demonstrate is that when taken on average, Part V can be a cost effective way of creating mixed tenure communities,” he said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,735 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Cant for the life of me understand why the council keep buying luxury apartments normal people could never afford to live in

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its almost certain that they will decline the 800 grand apartments - but they must be offered a mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,272 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Keep telling myself, only 4 more years till they are out on their asses.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Cant for the life of me understand why the council keep buying luxury apartments normal people could never afford to live in

Some BS about inclusion.

I've noticed actually Spencer Dock and IFSC have really gone downhill since COVID. Council have clearly leased a huge number of apartments formerly rented to tech workers who have gone home to remote work. No hope of getting them out now so area is only going to get worse.

Some BS about inclusion.

I've noticed actually Spencer Dock and IFSC have really gone downhill since COVID. Council have clearly leased a huge number of apartments formerly rented to tech workers who have gone home to remote work. No hope of getting them out now so area is only going to get worse.

Not accurate. Spencer Dock Apartments were all sold to private individual buyers back in the early 2000's. They have not been sold off or bought by the City Council and the general north doclands area is getting far more developed with high end offices and wiil improve even further once covid abates.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Fitout has started for a medical centre (GP I believe) in Macken House, the never used retail units on North Wall Avenue

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

subpar wrote: »
    Not accurate. Spencer Dock Apartments were all sold to private individual buyers back in the early 2000's. They have not been sold off or bought by the City Council and the general north doclands area is getting far more developed with high end offices and wiil improve even further once covid abates.

But private individuals can still sell their properties to the council.

With the pandemic, combined with the flight of amateur landlords, I would imagine that quite a few owners have tried to sell to DCC. How many have been successful? I don't know.

But, I too have noticed a few new residents who one would not expect to be able to afford to buy/rent (by a longshot) &/or would not be the typical person/family who would seek to live in the IFSC. And DCC taking ownership or the landlord reducing rent and accepting HAP (big mistake!) are the only reasons I can think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brownbeard

Looks like the new medical centre is opening soon just saw this today while passing:

cJvTjMX.png

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Pomberg77

I can hear the Liffey Trust Dance Studios are back open (Still not allowed due to restrictions but doing it anyway) .

You'd forget how lovely it was without them blaring the same song for hours on end across the apartments. WfH for the next few months is going to be a chore now.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

cgcsb wrote: »
    Keep telling myself, only 4 more years till they are out on their asses.

....wait until you see who the new crowd are!

Interesting thing with Coopers Cross is that they've set up the site offices in the never used commercial units of Northbank, so as to not use up space on site

They've also built out over footpaths on Castleforbes Road and Mayor Street in a manner I find very questionable, with no proper provision for pedestrians or wheelchair access to anywhere, particularly as the wide path the other side of Mayor Street is used as a carpark most of the time.

Looks like a bit of protestin' going on.

(Not mine but might be of interest)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Pomberg77 wrote: »
    Looks like a bit of protestin' going on.

(Not mine but might be of interest)

Presumably the meeting is on Monday 21 June not 21 July.

• Advertisement

tabbey wrote:
    Presumably the meeting is on Monday 21 June not 21 July.

Starting to think the protest won't get the numbers they're expecting!

I won't be attending. While the building is annoying, it's a necessary and expected part of this neighbourhood. It happening while WfH is unfortunate and crap but it's good overall.

If we were to protest noise, there's plenty that take the piss. I live in Liffey Trust, the dance studios have zero respect for their neighbours and have music blaring throughout the day.

The student accommodation is a joke, I rang them about students screaming outside the doors at 3am and was told "well they're adults, what can we do?" by their security.

My other complaint would be the odd unseemly HAP recipients that don't respect the place or their neighbours. There's one near me whose specialities are throwing rubbish off their balcony, having domestics at 2am on a weeknight and just generally being nasty to everyone who approaches them.

If we could sort that, I'd happily protest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Pomberg77 wrote: »
    Starting to think the protest won't get the numbers they're expecting!

I won't be attending. While the building is annoying, it's a necessary and expected part of this neighbourhood. It happening while WfH is unfortunate and crap but it's good overall.

If we were to protest noise, there's plenty that take the piss. I live in Liffey Trust, the dance studios have zero respect for their neighbours and have music blaring throughout the day.

The student accommodation is a joke, I rang them about students screaming outside the doors at 3am and was told "well they're adults, what can we do?" by their security.

My other complaint would be the odd unseemly HAP recipients that don't respect the place or their neighbours. There's one near me whose specialities are throwing rubbish off their balcony, having domestics at 2am on a weeknight and just generally being nasty to everyone who approaches them.

If we could sort that, I'd happily protest :)

Yes im with you. I find it hard to join that protest after what I've had to put up with.

Im right across from the student accommodation and had to put up with the new road being built, and that huge student accom block being built as well as the other new buildings being built with builders and machines starting at 7am for the last 4/5 years.

Next up will be that huge tower which is in the planning phase, i cant wait for the foundations of that being dug out there soon....

The noise from the students in the last year has been a disgrace and the student accommodation company really should have a duty of care to their neighbors. They pretend to have security working there (they told me this in an email once when i complained about crowds of students standing outside screaming and singing for hours at 2/3am in the morning). There is no way they have anyone working there at night.

The Waterfront South Central tower has been refused and realistically needs a change in primary legislation to happen so that'll be years away. There is permission for basement works but they aren't going to do those without the above ground elements allowed.

CucaFace wrote:
    The noise from the students in the last year has been a disgrace and the student accommodation company really should have a duty of care to their neighbors. They pretend to have security working there (they told me this in an email once when i complained about crowds of students standing outside screaming and singing for hours at 2/3am in the morning). There is no way they have anyone working there at night.

They told me the same and gave me a phone number to call when it happens again. When I did call, I mean to say I've never got more reluctance or laziness from someone to do their one job. All I asked was that they go to the entrance and tell the students to stop screaming. I was first asked to give my details for a "report". I told him to just go out and deal with it. Was told "well they're paying alot of money" and "they're adults, what can we do?".

I'm hopeful this will sort itself out by September as students might head back into town for sessions but it's interesting to note what businesses do/don't give a crap about their neighbours here.

Construction works on site of Castleforbes Industrial Park to strart in July.

Glenveagh Properties has sold a Premier Inn hotel site in the Dublin Docklands to German investor Union Investment.

The Dublin-listed company sold the planned 262-bedroom hotel site as part of an approximately €70m forward funding arrangement that will result in Union Investment taking ownership of the hotel.

In a statement Glenveagh said The Premier Inn hotel will form a “key component” of a wider mixed-use development at Castleforbes in the Docklands.

This development also includes 1,256 apartments and 12,545 square metres of office space known as the Freight Building.

Stephen Garvey, CEO of Glenveagh, said the company was “delighted” to partner with “the hotel experts” of Union Investment on the project.

“This marks the start of delivery of a significant development in the Docklands which will provide a sustainable mix of residential, hotel and office accommodation in this prime city centre location,” Mr Garvey said.

“The project forms part of a wider masterplan for our Dublin Docklands sites and is testament to our commitment to keeping sustainable development at the heart of everything we do."

Construction of the hotel will begin next month, and it is scheduled to be ready for business in Autumn 2023.

The hotel will be operated by UK-headquartered hotel group Whitbread under its Premier Inn brand, as was previously announced by Glenveagh.

“We have always expected the sale of the hotel would be logical at some point however the nature of the forward funding deal provides a degree of comfort that there is an appetite for forward funding deals to be done at the Docklands,” Dudley Shanley, analyst at Goodbody, said.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 dylan2017

tesco have applied for planning permission in the big unit at spender dock beside the luas track where spar was due to open planning permission up since july 9th seen it yesterday lets hope it gets filled and bring life to the area again

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭JPup

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

So will Dunnes ever move into the place? Great news that Tesco is coming to the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,362 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Any idea what's happening with penthouse apartments in Spencer Dock? They seem to have green netting over most of them.

• Advertisement

Water ingress was reported some years back

The future Fresh in Dublin Landings has window branding up now. There'll be four convenience stores open before Dunnes even make a move at this rate

Advertisement