Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

mixing different gauge wiring

Options
  • 04-04-2021 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I recently replaced all the halogen spots in my house with newer GU10 lampholders which involved removing the 12v transformers and wiring the new lampholders direct to main - this was all straight forward.

After moving a wall cabinet, I see there is a hole in the wall with some old wiring taped up (Blue, Brown and bare (assume this is earth)).

I want to hook up a wall lamp here but noticed the gauge of the wiring in the wall is quite thick (hard to bend by hand). The gauge of the wire in the wall light is much thinner - is there any issue just putting a connector block on the thinker gauge wall wiring and running some thinner gauge wire (similar to that of the light fitting) from the block to the new fitting?

Any issue ignoring the earth wire (leaving taped up) if using a class 2 lamp?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Henry.

The fixed wiring has to be a minimum size so you run the 1.5 to the fitting , same with the CPC(earth)

The lamp can have a smaller size . The wiring is sized smaller as it's connected directly to the lamp.

I presume the lamps have a rating for short-circuit withstand, not sure on that

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You could fit flex if needs be

Advertisement