Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

fuse box swap

Options
  • 23-03-2021 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

hi all, not sure if this is the correct forum but here goes, i have a 82 mk2 scirocco that has the old torpedo/ bullet type ceramic fusebox fitted from factory. this fusebox caused me countless headaches with loose connections and lots of other electrical gremlins. anyway it finally gave up the ghost and died in the middle of traffic and the car was towed home. this happened about 2 years ago. since then the car has lain in a shed in my job. so i decided to rip the old fusebox out and upgrade it to a later CE1 blade type fusebox from a later 88 mk2 golf. the old fusebox had melted internally and iniatally i thought,i'll buy another ceramic fusebox and just swap it over. well the only one i could find was on fleabay, in latvia for about 400 euro and it didnt look much better then the burnt one. so managed to source a complete loom and ce1 fusebox from a 88 golf. i have stripped out the dash and removed the old fusebox ,i have removed/depinned the old plugs from the back of the fusebox and studied the wiring diagrams between the scirocco and the golf and happily they are 99% the same . ie same colour wiring for each circuit. i was contemplating removing the entire scirocco wiring looms but now am leaning towards chopping off the plugs off the golf fusebox and soldering/heatschrinking all the wires but i have to say i'm losing heart. there must be about 150 wires. has anyone ever done anything similar? what route did they go down? either full loom strip out or chop and solder? or does anyone know how much a professional auto electriction might charge? i honestly dont know what way to jump! i keep thinking just get on with it , but everytime i look at it, i just keep thinking ,this is a big job! any advice, tips gladly welcomed. thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

Have a look at bussmann fuse boxes.

https://www.swe-check.com.au/series/bussmann-rtmr-power-distribution-modules-common-bus

Your next painful option is to source a set of matching pins and re-pin the factory fuse box.
    You'll need good crimp tools/cutting tools and label everything as you disconnect it.

Your final option if the loom is shot is to put in a new loom/engine harness.

None of these options are easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hamburg

thanks for the reply jimmy,as you say none of the options are easy. i am thinking,i will just have to pull the finger out and chop/solder/heatscrink all the wires cos pulling out and replacing the entire looms is just going to be a headwrecking experience. either that or i just sell the complete car on as a non runner to somebody who has the time/patience/experience to put it back together. anyway once again thank you for taking the time to offer me your advice,its very much appreciated.;)

Advertisement