Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Weekly meal plans

• 03-01-2021 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭

I have been doing well in reducing my meat intake but am getting sick of lasagne, chilli, bolognese, fajitas, curries and enchiladas (with and without quorn). There is a meal plan thread on the cooking forum but I would love some vegetarian specific inspiration to help me plan my shopping.

This week all I have planned is a lentil shepherds pie and a roasted red pepper pasta. I would love some every day dishes if anyone would like to share!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

This is quick and easy: make leek and potato soup in the leek/potato ratio you like. Add some thyme. Don't bother with milk or cream. add a tin of cannellini and let the whole lot simmer for a bit.
    Don't blend either. A pureed sludge never feels like a meal.make some croutons too if you like. Have some flour dipped and fried halloumi too.

Ottolenghi has a fried broadbean and sorrel recipe which is lovely warm. Quick and easy to make. who has sorrel so use spinach instead. Recipe needs Feta and Sumac.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I have been doing well in reducing my meat intake but am getting sick of lasagne, chilli, bolognese, fajitas, curries and enchiladas (with and without quorn). There is a meal plan thread on the cooking forum but I would love some vegetarian specific inspiration to help me plan my shopping.

This week all I have planned is a lentil shepherds pie and a roasted red pepper pasta. I would love some every day dishes if anyone would like to share!

What would you normally have had when you were a meat eater? Start there and then look up a vegan/vegetarian option.

My week looks like this: Today is full on roast dinner with all the trimmings, tomorrow is vegan lasagne with mashed potatoes and vegetables, Tuesday is a stir fry of noodles with Linda McCartney "duck.

I'll haver a burger and chips in there and maybe pizza and definitely a pesto pasta dish somewhere.

Try the Bosh channel on Youtube, their stuff is amazing although its all vegan but don't let that put you off. Or a site like BBC Food or All Recipes have loads of meat free options.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

Dhal is always a great option, make it with red lentils and its super quick.

Stirfys, not much explanation needed here.

Sundried tomato and roast pepper pasta ( just blend up sundried tomatoes, peppers, 100g of soaked nuts (cashew or almond work well) some chilli and herbs of your choice.

Bean chilli with lyndas sausages with rice or gnocci is reasonably quick too.

Soups are always great.

If you're looking for a meat and 2 veg type option then I'd suggest looking into seitan etc. You can make some really tasty meals there although your prep time will be higher. Roulad with seitan is delish as is a wellington.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Here's a straightforward plan (2 day...) for bulking:

Here are five staple foods to include in your bulking up program, based on their nutrient-to-calorie ratios and caloric density:

Oats
    Potatoes
    Beans and lentils
    Brown rice
    Bananas and other fruits
    With variations of just these five staple foods alone, you can create lots of variety and overall nutrition to help you in your bulking efforts.

Now, let’s put that in action…

Sample Meal Plan 1 with 2,500 Calories
    Breakfast

Oatmeal

1 cup cooked spelt
    2 tablespoons sunflower butter
    1 tablespoon raisins
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1 sliced banana
    Mix together in a bowl
    634 calories, 95 g carbohydrates, 17.6 g protein, 20.4 g fat, 14 g fiber

Snack

Edamame

1 cup
    189 calories, 15 g carbohydrates, 17 g protein, 8 g fat, 8 g fiber

Snack

Fruit

2 cups blueberries, strawberries, or raspberries, or any combination of the three
    92 calories, 20 g carbohydrates, 3 g protein, 0 g fat, 3 g fiber

Lunch

Spinach and Kale Salad

1 cup raw spinach
    1 cup raw kale
    ½ cup cooked brown lentils
    Any type of veggies you like
    1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
    1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
    ½ cooked sweet potato
    2 tablespoons Follow Your Heart brand vegan honey mustard dressing
    495 calories, 71 g carbohydrates, 16 g protein, 16.3 g fat, 12.3 g fiber

Snack

Nuts and Seeds

Handful of raw nuts and seeds (no oil or salt): peanuts, walnuts, pecans, cashews, Brazil nuts, macadamia nuts, pine nuts, sunflower, and pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
    441 calories, 14 g carbohydrates, 15.2 g protein, 36 g fat, 9 g fiber

Dinner

Rice and Bean Bowl

½ cup cooked black rice
    ½ cup chickpeas
    1 tablespoon pine nuts
    1 tablespoon hemp seeds
    1 cup cooked broccoli or asparagus
    2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
    Mix together on a plate
    343 calories, 64 g carbohydrates, 15 g protein , 3 g fat, 10 g fiber

Snack

2 Banana Protein Muffins

4 bananas
    1 cup dry oats
    2 scoops protein powder
    ½ cup coconut flakes
    ½ cup walnuts
    ¼ cup vegan chocolate chips
    Preheat the over to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a large bowl, mash the bananas. Mix in the remaining ingredients until thoroughly combined. Form into 12 balls and place on a cookie sheet or in a muffin tin. Bake for 20 minutes.
    For 2 banana muffins: 259 calories, 34.8 g carbohydrates, 10 g protein, 14.8 g fat, 5.6 g fiber

Totals

2,453 calories, 313.8 g carbohydrates, 93.8 g protein, 98.5 g fat, 61.9 g fiber

Sample Meal Plan 2 with 2,900 Calories
    Breakfast

Quinoa Breakfast Bowl

1 cup cooked quinoa
    1 tablespoon peanut or almond butter
    2 tablespoons chia
    1 banana
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1 tablespoon hemp seeds
    699 calories, 96 g carbohydrates, 23.8 g protein, 24.4 g fat, 20 g fiber

Snack

Fruit and Nut Butter

Apple and 1 tablespoon peanut butter
    275 calories, 31 g carbohydrates, 7.5 g protein, 15.3 g fat, 6.4 g fiber

Or, Protein Shake

Vegan protein shake with 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, water, and ice
    211 calories, 13 g carbohydrates, 24 g protein, 7g fat, 5 g fiber

Lunch

Sweet Potato Plate

6 ounces baked tofu using different types of seasoning
    ½ cup sweet potatoes
    2 cups roasted or steamed veggies
    698 calories, 62 g carbohydrates, 45 g protein, 30 g fat, 5 g fiber

Snack

Veggies and Hummus

Raw veggies of any kind (I like to keep chopped up celery, carrots, cucumbers, and radishes in the fridge)
    2 tablespoons hummus
    78 calories, 9 g carbohydrates, 2 g protein, 3.8 g fat, 2 g fiber

Snack

Nuts and Seeds

Handful raw nuts and seeds (no oil or salt): peanuts, walnuts, pecans, cashews, Brazil nuts, macadamia nuts, pine nuts, sunflower, and pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
    441 calories, 14 g carbohydrates, 15.2 g protein, 36 g fat, 9 g fiber

Dinner

Black Bean Bowl

1 cup black beans
    1 cup cooked brown basmati or black rice, farro, or quinoa
    ½ avocado, diced
    ½ cup salsa of your choice
    Sprinkle nutritional yeast
    Mix together in a bowl
    658 calories, 96.6 g carbohydrates, 27 g protein, 18.3 g fat, 26.2 g fiber

Snack

Fruit

1 cup strawberries and 1 cup blueberries
    122 calories, 28 g carbohydrates, 2 g protein, 0 g fat, 6 g fiber

Or, Protein Shake

Vegan protein shake with 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, water, and ice
    211 calories, 13 g carbohydrates, 24 g protein, 7 g fat, 5 g fiber

Totals

2,971 calories, 336.6 g carbohydrates, 122.5 g protein, 127.8 g fat, 74.6 g fiber

https://www.nomeatathlete.com/build-muscle-plant-based/

Here's a no nonsense day of eating.
    Now, I say no nonsense but I'm not sure about the mango on the dinner.
    'What is a realistic whole-food plant-based diet?'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭Worztron

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Advertisement