Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Beta reading and Editing

• 14-08-2019 1:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

The first time I wrote a novel I said, "I don't need an Editor." Now 100 essays later and many research projects behind me and a good few short stories, I feel very different. Regardless of what I write, I always get other people to have a look at my work before I hand it over. I also use Beta readers. Strange as it might sound, I now find myself Beta reading for others and editing books too; mostly sci-fi, fantasy and some horror. I am blind to my own lines and mistakes, but spot mistakes in others. Funny old game....

Anyone else here who Beta read or edit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 JoZeb

My beta readers are heroes, and yeah I beta read back. I don't edit but I do run courses in creative writing where I deliver critique and I also mentor writers. I think for SFF it's even more important to get readers, especially those who like the genre, as worldbuilding etc is so nuanaced and easy to get wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

The first time I wrote a novel I said, "I don't need an Editor." Now 100 essays later and many research projects behind me and a good few short stories, I feel very different. Regardless of what I write, I always get other people to have a look at my work before I hand it over. I also use Beta readers. Strange as it might sound, I now find myself Beta reading for others and editing books too; mostly sci-fi, fantasy and some horror. I am blind to my own lines and mistakes, but spot mistakes in others. Funny old game....

Anyone else here who Beta read or edit?

I critique books but with an editor's hat on so the writer gets a full edit as well.

My only qualification is that my work has been edited so I've learned from it. I'd like to do it professionally - I love it

• Registered Users Posts: 15 JoZeb

Livvie wrote: »
    I critique books but with an editor's hat on so the writer gets a full edit as well.

My only qualification is that my work has been edited so I've learned from it. I'd like to do it professionally - I love it

I’d be scared of steering someone wrong and destroying their book!
    I critique less now I’m published - people who don’t know me already pay too much heed to me and I’m only one opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

JoZeb wrote: »
    I’d be scared of steering someone wrong and destroying their book!
    I critique less now I’m published - people who don’t know me already pay too much heed to me and I’m only one opinion.

I make a point of saying that I'm not professional and that the writer can always get a second opinion from someone who is. And I always explain my reasons for certain suggestions, but tell them to make up their own minds as to whether the ideas appeal to them or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Nicks delight

Sorry, I should have responded quicker but Universe decided to throw a mega big titanium wrench in my front tire and stuck a universal screwdriver in my dusty heart. Sure I agree, an opinion is just that and nothing more. Stories are told and they are from the Authors mind straight down onto the bleached paper or a glaring screen frying our faces with frame-rates hurdling at us with epileptic rates, and that is all well-and-good but I still need someone to tell me if my presentation and story logic correspond with the rest of the world and its readers. Sometime I float into a dyslectic acid cloud and my page content is somewhat dis-congruent so I like my stories to go trough the literary autopsy before I set them free. :)

Generally when I Beta read, focus is mostly on the story rather than gramma dramatics but if i spot something I highlight it. I never state my opinions as a law that should be adhered. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement