Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

WTF is mansplaining?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

gogo wrote: »
    I don’t use the word myself, I use dick head instead.. but honestly I can see where it came from, ever been the only woman in a room full of men, and be spoken to like a child for no reason other than your sex? Gender imbalance is rife in ireland, that why someone’s sex was brought into it I’d imagine, just my two cents, I still prefer dickhead ;)

It has been hi-jacked by feminism though and used for a myriad of things such as not agreeing with what has been said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

TRANQUILLO wrote: »
    It has been hi-jacked by feminism though and used for a myriad of things such as not agreeing with what has been said.

Absolutely, but idiots will always be idiots, both female and male, doesn't mean the word isn’t relevant in its correct context

The female equivalent is seemingly bitchsplaining....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

There was a post on Facebook about NZ's covid numbers relative to ours. Someone posted applauding Arden for her actions.

I replied to her comment and said that Arden is not all she's cracked up to be (from what my Kiwi co-worker told me) and that the falling covid numbers are not entirely her doing.

She reacted to my comment with the FB laugh react and asked me to back up my claim.

So I did. I posted factual information and said that Ireland cannot be compared to NZ, our population is more densely centred, they have no common land borders and no free movement equivalent of the EU.

She then burst into a rage and accused me of "mansplaining" (sic), how dare I patronisingly give her a geography lesson, even though she was the one who asked me to back up my statement.

I replied, can you not have a civil discussion without accusing me of "mansplaining".
    Her response: "Typical misogynist, insulting women at every step, of course I can debate".

She then went on a tirade of abuse mocking my appearance and making personal insults. Dafuq?

The fuck is "mansplaining" ?? and can you not disagree with a woman for fear of being accused of it?

It's a brainless fallback from someone losing a debate attempting to change the focus of the conversation and to rally support from any feminist bullys in earshot.

I love getting stuck into those limp minded loudmouths, all it takes is to keep a cool head and use their own arguments to tie them up in knots. Also helps to highlight just how brainless the actually are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Just another rock thrown by third wave feminists when they have nothing of value to bring to the table themselves.

Agreed:pac:

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭seenitall

mancd.jpg

Love it! :D

Here’s the article from 2008 that started it all. The term “mansplaining” was coined soon after its publication.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2008-apr-13-op-solnit13-story.html%3f_amp=true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

There was a post on Facebook about NZ's covid numbers relative to ours. Someone posted applauding Arden for her actions.

I replied to her comment and said that Arden is not all she's cracked up to be (from what my Kiwi co-worker told me) and that the falling covid numbers are not entirely her doing.

She reacted to my comment with the FB laugh react and asked me to back up my claim.

So I did. I posted factual information and said that Ireland cannot be compared to NZ, our population is more densely centred, they have no common land borders and no free movement equivalent of the EU.

She then burst into a rage and accused me of "mansplaining" (sic), how dare I patronisingly give her a geography lesson, even though she was the one who asked me to back up my statement.

I replied, can you not have a civil discussion without accusing me of "mansplaining".
    Her response: "Typical misogynist, insulting women at every step, of course I can debate".

She then went on a tirade of abuse mocking my appearance and making personal insults. Dafuq?

The fuck is "mansplaining" ?? and can you not disagree with a woman for fear of being accused of it?

She's just pissed cause you are right

Mansplaining is regarded as a guy explaining without regard to the person they are talking too

I'm gonna coin
    'Femsplaining'

The moaning a woman does to justify her unjustifiable point

Why not use the word condescension or patronised? Why bring someone's sex into it?

Because they want privilege for having a snatch

mancd.jpg

I don't get it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Neowise

Where did she say that again? Had forgotten all about it, I remember cringing at the time.

Prime time leaders debate pre election.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/politics/rte-primetime-leaders-debate-live-21431084
    Mr Martin was also the target of Sinn Féin’s Mary Lou McDonald most cutting jibe when she said he was trying to “mansplain” corporation tax to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Fellas FELLAS ITSATRAP ITSATRAPPPP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

I don’t use the word myself, I use dick head instead.. but honestly I can see where it came from, ever been the only woman in a room full of men, and be spoken to like a child for no reason other than your sex? Gender imbalance is rife in ireland, that why someone’s sex was brought into it I’d imagine, just my two cents, I still prefer dickhead ;)

Hi gogo, could you explain what you mean by gender imbalance being rife in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Why did you feel the need to reply to a stranger's comment about a foreign politician? She was "wrong" on the internet and had to be corrected?

Classic mansplaining, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,354 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I would have called her a c##t and left at that after her reply:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i have no doubt that some men do talk down to women like this. especially in the trades and garages etc. i have seen it myself. . probably a hang up from when women didnt know anything about that stuff . now thankfully women are moving into these areas albe it slowly.

what anoys me is that its mansplaining when a man does it but women are never called out for doing the same thing.
    men get similar coments talking down to them whne doing traditional female dominted jobs such as child care, parenting, nursing, teaching etc.

we all get comments from people that think they know more than us , thats just life

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

KevRossi wrote: »

Last year I was giving a presentation to about 20 people, 4 of whom would be familiar with the field, the others were not; they were economists, project managers, logistics and PR people. I gave a 40 minute presentation which was well received and then 1 of the 4 who was a woman, stood up and thanked me condescendingly for 'mansplaining'. She asked me a question; I responded using jargon and was then asked by another woman to repeat the question without using jargon as the other 16 people in the room hadn't a notion about what I was on about.

You can't win with some people.

gender politics aside, thats a pretty cuuntish thing to do to someone already under pressure to deliver a good presentation. I hope she was duly rinsed out of it by either yourself or preferably another man in the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Its a nonsense word invented by militant femibulls with blue hair to deter men from clarifying something with the opposite sex. That's practically assault these days don't you know.

:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

I'll post up screenshots later today or tomorrow.

My phone is on GPRS, I need a new SIM or phone :pac:

If I can't upload pics, I'll transcribe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I think it's usually used to dismiss people based on who they are rather then what they are saying. In that case there is no point arguing.

its just a way of silencing an opposing viewpoint and as its ok to denigrate the male sex nowadays , its a respectable term amongst liberals

anyone who utters it can be categorically written off as a prize dope

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

You should have replied that you are not a misogynist because looking at her profile photo, you couldn't tell that she was a woman.

.anon. wrote: »
    Why did you feel the need to reply to a stranger's comment about a foreign politician? She was "wrong" on the internet and had to be corrected?

Classic mansplaining, tbh.

Classic femsplaning
    Advocating a point that's completely full of shíte

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Debating on Facebook

You get what you deserve

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

There was a post on Facebook ....

That's the problem right there. Facebook is a cesspool

Hi gogo, could you explain what you mean by gender imbalance being rife in Ireland.

Bravo sir.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Here you go

https://ec.europa.eu/ireland/node/684_en

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

It is the misandrists' mantra.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,482 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Why would anyone need to have what Mansplaining means explained to them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Morathi

From the linked article:

"Ireland ranks above the EU average with 71.3 points, but the Index score for Ireland shows gender inequalities are most pronounced in the domain of power, where the points tally is 53.4.

However, Ireland scores well when it comes to tackling inequality in health (90.9) and money (85.5).

Between 2005 and 2017, Ireland’s overall score increased by 9.4 points (+ 1.8 points since 2015), showing faster progress towards gender equality than other EU Member States."

Seems like we're heading in the right direction, wouldn't say it's "rife" in Ireland.

440Hertz wrote: »
    The “Karen” thing is also particularly nasty. It was a really popular name, especially in the 70s & 80s I know two women who’ve had to change their names as a result of it and just feel they’re the butt of a never ending joke now.

I'll take "things that never happened" for 500, please, Bob.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

It's the feminist equivalent of "fake news" to dismiss something they don't want to hear in most cases.

Advertisement