Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

6 month old doesn't nap

• 04-10-2020 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

My babies daytime naps have been getting shorter and fewer to the point now where it's difficult to get her to sleep at all during the day. She might have 1 or 2 20min naps in the whole day. And at completely random times. She sleeps fine at night and we have a good bedtime routine that works but daytime sleep - no way Jose! I've read that not napping slows development. Does anyone have any tips to get her into a good napping routine?

Does sleeping while on the boob count as a nap?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

If sleeping on the boob doesn’t count then my 6 month old never naps and neither did my older boy!

Is the issue that she wakes when you put her down? Some babies are just more high needs that others and need that physical contact for sleep. Both mine are like that. My son (almost 3 now) grew out of it around 1 maybe but most of his naps until I went back to work at 10 months were on me unless he slept in the car. I tried to change it but accepted it in the end. I just went with it with my 2nd. She has a lot of sling naps while I’m running around after her brother.

This is an article on cap napping that set my mind at ease with my son.

https://sarahockwell-smith.com/2017/11/01/in-defence-of-cat-naps/amp/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Would a sling work?

My daughter really struggles to fall asleep. She does ok about half the time at night but for a long time naps were a big struggle. I wore her a lot when she was tiny but she just got too awkward and I was juggling her and a bored three year old during lockdown.

I got this sling when she was about 7 months and it was a game changer. It’s designed so you sort of preload baby into it and strap them on like a backpack. No wiggling and suitable for younger babies then most back carriers. I get full use of my arms and can get a lot done or go on a decent walk. If she's any way tired she'll drop off in ten minutes.

https://cocochobaby.com/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

All mine slept 40 min naps during the day.
    My first actually went right down to 20 mins too at around 6 months and then...magically....suddenly started to do 1-2 hour naps.
    I just persevered.2 hours since they last woke, try for another nap.They all got into the routine of longer ones eventually, especially when they went down to 2 naps in a day.I admit though I was very routine about them going into a cot with the curtains drawn for as many naps as I could manage.The downside to that being that nos.2 and 3 rarely, if ever, slept in the car or the buggy (number 3 has literally only ever slept in his bed.)
    Just keep at it and baba will get there.Boob naps countðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Boob naps count, absolutely. Sounds like my wee lad, no one would believe me till they saw him. At best he would have 2-3 30min naps in the day even at that age and only on me (the buggy? Forget it). Started doing one nap a day at about 10m and stopped it at 1.5yrs (and even then it was about 30-50mins). He's now almost 3, bright, busy, and lack of naps made no difference to his intelligence and health 😂
    Invest in a sling if you haven't already and go with the flow! Ignore people who say he should be doing x, y, z.. go with their own temperament. Good luck!

Advertisement