Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's the catch with GoMo? Why unlimited everything for €13?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

irelandjnr wrote: »
    https://switcher.ie/mobiles/networks/gomo/

Uses the Eir network. Why is it just €13 for unlimited calls, texts and data? What's going on here exactly?

Works fine, Haven't noticed any difference whatsoever. I have the 10 euro for life deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Worth trying out the new deal from 48 which is also for life

€7.99 per month

- 100 GB
    - unlimited calls
    - unlimited texts
    - 10 GB EU data

Thread dedicated to plan: https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058111576/1

Referal Link's for a free month can be found here: https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057998585/1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Uses the Eir network. Why is it just €13 for unlimited calls, texts and data? What's going on here exactly?

Catch as such is that it uses the old meteor network. I have the €9.99 for life deal and have come across some blackspots especially in ruralish areas but nothing major.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Catch as such is that it uses the old meteor network. I have the €9.99 for life deal and have come across some blackspots especially in ruralish areas but nothing major.

I think you are incorrect, it's not like O2 Vs three, there is no old meteor network. It's all eir network, always has been. It was merely a different branding on same network unlike O2/three.
    I've found its same as eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

TheDriver wrote: »
    I think you are incorrect, it's not like O2 Vs three, there is no old meteor network. It's all eir network, always has been. It was merely a different branding on same network unlike O2/three.
    I've found its same as eir.

I used to work in telecoms so know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

It uses the current Eir network, which the Meteor network was.

I switched from Meteor to Eir and then to GoMo over the years and it's exactly the same, no difference. I'm living rural West of Ireland and it's the most reliable network for me.

No catch with GoMo unless you go over 80gb data when you'll get throttled down, I'm unsure what speed but I'm sure it's usable.
    Customer care is online only, but I've have no need to contact them yet so can't tell what they are like.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

There is no major catch. The network is basically the same. However, there are a couple of minor differences that you need to be aware of. WiFi calling is not available on GoMo. It is a useful service if you get caught in a blackspot, or to get free calls if you are roaming outside of EU. Also, 5G is available on Eir, but it is not supposed to be included on their GoMo plan. However, some GoMo users on Boards claim to have got 5G on GoMo.

Eir already offer a SIM only-plan for €9.99pm with unlimited any-network calls/texts and 80GB data in their bundles. It is actually better value than their GoMo plan if you are able to bundle with Broadband or TV. It is for 12 months rather than "Life", but I renew my plan each year, and they have given me the €9.99 deal for the last 3 years. Even better value than GoMo, and it includes WiFi calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Just be aware that a few people (not many TBF) have had problems with 2FA SMS and couldn't get it resolved as Gomo just blamed everyone else except themselves.

IMO, if you're paying a bill for a service then issues like that should be resolved. And it doesn't seem to bother Comreg either as AFAIK there's no obligation on providers to support 2FA SMS....whereas there is an obligation to support Premium Rate SMS...go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,296 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

what 2fa are you having a problem with as I get my Micro$oft 2fa everyday no problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Is it 'used to' because you have no idea what you're talking about?

It's the Eir network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Roaming outside the EU might be an issue though I haven't had reason to look into it yet, there are no US bundles or things like that so roaming charges might be significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭irelandjnr

Eir already offer a SIM only-plan for €9.99pm with unlimited any-network calls/texts and 80GB data in their bundles. It is actually better value than their GoMo plan if you are able to bundle with Broadband or TV. It is for 12 months rather than "Life", but I renew my plan each year, and they have given me the €9.99 deal for the last 3 years. Even better value than GoMo, and it includes WiFi calling.

Do you have a link to that plan?

Also, we are paying €20 each per top-up monthly now on Eir and that doesn't including texts. Can you explain why this plan is half the price and offers more? I don't get what's going on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Also, we are paying €20 each per top-up monthly now on Eir and that doesn't including texts. Can you explain why this plan is half the price and offers more? I don't get what's going on here.

It is a mistake to assume that pay-as-you-go is cheaper than bill-pay. If you change to Sim-only Bill-pay in a bundle the contract is for 12 months, although Sim-only on it's own is only 30 days. Once a network has your commitment for 12 months, they are able to offer you a discount on the bundle.

You can see the price of the Eir Broadband & Mobile bundle at this link,

https://www.eir.ie/mobile/bundles/ - €39.98

The price of the Broadband only bundle is at this link

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/ - €29.99

The difference is the cost of Mobile - €9.99 per month. While these bundles are only available to new customers, you can continue to get mobile for €9.99 and and an extra discount on the overall bundle if you contact Eir after the first 12 months. There is no link to the renewal offer, however.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

It is normal practice for utility providers of various hues to offer a myriad of different plans, with some of their cheaper plans often offering much more than some of their other more expensive plans.

This is particularly the case with health insurance. The idea is to offer competitive plans to capture/hold on to the savvy customer whilst at the same time being able to charge the lazy/uneducated customer much more and get away with it.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    No catch it works perfectly for for me @ 9.99 a month

How do I avail of that €10 deal? Please

How do I avail of that €10 deal? Please

You're about 10 months too late. It's now 12.99 for new customers.

DopeTech wrote: »
    You're about 10 months too late. It's now 12.99 for new customers.

Yeah just see that post on their site now. Cool.

So is this a bill-pay direct debit thing? Or typical shop top-up? There website is confusing me a bit on this.

Yeah just see that post on their site now. Cool.

So is this a bill-pay direct debit thing? Or typical shop top-up? There website is confusing me a bit on this.

Bill pay direct debit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭leex

Is it possible to lock down the likes of GoMo account to stop premium rate numbers and general surprise bills e.g. if someone takes your phone and decided to dial Australia? Thinking of moving my kids to this.

Is it possible to lock down the likes of GoMo account to stop premium rate numbers and general surprise bills e.g. if someone takes your phone and decided to dial Australia? Thinking of moving my kids to this.

You can block premium rate calls and texts.

48 is cheaper and no bill surprises as it's PAYG and there's no hidden charges.

Sign up and buy first membership by 10th November to avail of 7.99 deal. Same coverage as 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,871 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Nah mate. Uses the exact same network as Eir in the same way that 48 & Virgin use the exact network as Three.

Ten Pin wrote: »
    You can block premium rate calls and texts.

48 is cheaper and no bill surprises as it's PAYG and there's no hidden charges.

Sign up and buy first membership by 10th November to avail of 7.99 deal. Same coverage as 3.

48 is cheaper but then it’s 3. I’ve had bad experiences with 3.

DopeTech wrote: »
    Bill pay direct debit.

1. Is it a contract?

2. 12 month contract?

3. How do you block premium numbers to stop paying more than €13 per month?

You can try out 48 for free for a week without any commitment and without having to port any number.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭leex

Tesco Mobile is worth a look also if you are a Tesco customer. 15euro per 28 days gets you 30gb data, unlimited calls to any network, unlimited texts to tesco network and you keep your 15 euro credit so can use it for regular texts etc.

5euro clubcard vouchers translates to 15euro credit which appears decent.

1. Is it a contract?

2. 12 month contract?

3. How do you block premium numbers to stop paying more than €13 per month?

1. 30 day sim only so you can port out at any time, even after 5 minutes if you wish. You will just pay for the first month.

2. Refer to answer 1.

3. You can block premium sms via MyGomo after you have signed up. They also set an out of bundle limit of €30 so no matter what happens once you hit that limit they will prevent you from over using etc to stop a higher bill.

All these things are answered on their site. Might be worth giving it a read before you sign up to it so you are fully informed before signing up. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

I've had bad experiences with Three but I've found 48 support far better.

(And Gomo is eir which are the biggest shower of chancers on the planet.)

MOH wrote: »
    I've had bad experiences with Three but I've found 48 support far better.

(And Gomo is eir which are the biggest shower of chancers on the planet.)

Yeah 48 support isn't too bad. Gomo on the other hand seem to only be ok for the basic requests. Ask them anything that requires escalation and they will fob you off telling you it's not their issue.

They also set a ceiling of €50 so no matter what happens once you hit that limit they will prevent you from over using etc to stop a higher bill.

AFAIK it's a cap of 30 so max amount a bill can be is 42.99

• Advertisement

Ten Pin wrote: »
    AFAIK it's a cap of 30 so max amount a bill can be is 42.99

You're right!

From Gomo site faq:
    Why can’t I make a chargeable call?

We have an out of plan spend limit of €30. This means you can spend up to €30 on charges that are not included in your plan. This includes Premium Rate Services such as 1890/1850 numbers, any non-standard text messages, roaming over the EU cap, roaming outside the EU and international calls and texts. We have this limit to protect our customers. If you cannot make a chargeable call you may have reached this limit. You will not be able to incur any more out of plan charges until after your next billing date and you’ve paid any outstanding out of plan charges.

Advertisement