Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's your favorite Distro?

• 24-06-2019 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I'll start: Debian Stable.

Despite the packages becoming somewhat outdated - this isn't too much of an issue anymore with the availability of AppImages, Flatpak, & Snaps. The Debian Backports are also great for getting a more recent kernel, etc.
    I was on Ubuntu/Linux Mint for years, then jumped to Debian a few years ago.

🐧

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭chonix

Hi,

I'll jump into the wagon too :)

I started with Debian Testing back in 2005, and nowadays I am onto Debian Stable.

Albeit I'm always eager to try every and all eye-candy distros and explosive/unstable stuff, I used to switch to Ubuntu a few times cause I had to test stuff. so my second choice is Ubuntu LXDE/MATE flavoring. Beware, I'm a sucker for eye-candy/new stuff over stability.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Whichever one works for you.

For me that is PCLinuxOS ....... has been stable for more than 10 years :D

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭chonix

Whichever one works for you.
    good man! /standingovation
    this little paragraph did the day for me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I used to have multiple partitions back in the day where I would test different distros for a few weeks.

Then I stopped being cool so now I just run Kubuntu and don't really play around with distros.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭rayzercork

Debian, i usually start with stable then upgrade to testing when the packages start to age.

ubuntu went through a stage a few years ago where everything started breaking so jumped to debian instead and havent looked back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Its very hard to name a favourite distro, but I have to say, over the last couple of years I haven't found anything that's better than PCLinuxOS. Current, stable software and a nice helpful community. Can't go wrong.

I ran Arch for about 18 months on my main laptop and never had a crash. Must get back to that again soon.

Manjaro is also nice if you want something Arch based.

Linux Mint Debian Edition is great too - stable base with up-to-date Cinnamon desktop components.

Running Fedora 30 on my main PC currently. Excellent as you'd expect.

MX Linux is all the rage these days. Also an excellent distro if you enjoy XFCE.

As John said, whatever distro works for you I suppose! It's a great time for Linux desktop users, in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

The paradox of choice.

Keplar240B wrote: »
    The paradox of choice.

One word ...... terrible. :eek:

/end

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭rayzercork

what id recommend is learning how to do a net install and build a distro to your own needs. prebuilt ones always have something you dont like about it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭Worztron

Keplar240B wrote: »
    The paradox of choice.

Debian it is then.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I'm a recent switcher from the telemetry hell of Win10 and I hopped for about a month until I learned that there really are only about 4 choices (for me) - Arch, Debian, openSuse and Fedora. The hopping around was only for the looks of it bar the odd extra system tool here and there.

Debian is my choice for my desktops/laptops I love it, netinstall and choose my desktop environment and what I want installed.
    Ubuntu Server for my file and media server with Atomic Toolkit <--fantastic

I'm loving Linux (I am very much a novice when it comes to to it but enjoying learning it) and now hold only an old laptop with a Windows LTSC install for old times sake, everything else is switched over.

I'm building up to trying an install of Arch, wish me luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Its very hard to name a favourite distro, but I have to say, over the last couple of years I haven't found anything that's better than PCLinuxOS. Current, stable software and a nice helpful community. Can't go wrong.

I keep hearing this. Maybe I should go back to it. I don't think I had any solid reason for abandoning it. I just ended up trying kubuntu and found it fine for what I was going.

I do remember really liking the all-in-one settings program which stood out at the time when compared to other distros.

I keep hearing this. Maybe I should go back to it. I don't think I had any solid reason for abandoning it. I just ended up trying kubuntu and found it fine for what I was going.

I do remember really liking the all-in-one settings program which stood out at the time when compared to other distros.

One thing that annoys me about PCLinuxOS is the awfully generic name. I know it's a small issue but there was zero imagination put into naming the distro. It does seem to have a large and dedicated userbase though.

Worztron wrote: »
    One thing that annoys me about PCLinuxOS is the awfully generic name. I know it's a small issue but there was zero imagination put into naming the distro. It does seem to have a large and dedicated userbase though.

Yep :D Its an old distro but the name really hasnt aged well. Too late to change it now I suppose!

I would guess that the name was not a huge factor when the distro first began, more than 15 years ago :D

Yep :D Its an old distro but the name really hasnt aged well. Too late to change it now I suppose!

Yes, I'm afraid so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭moonlighting_1

lubuntu with lxqt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Fedora, I absolutely love it, I've been running it as my laptop daily runner since Fedora 22. I use Centos on 2 home servers and Ubuntu server 18.04 LTS on a Hetzner remote dedi

Yes the mag has been going for a long time now.

Personally I am not as enamoured with it as I used to be.
    The content is not as 'interesting' to me these days ..... I have no interest in the puzzles, recipes for meals or the little ditties.
    There is not a lot left these days if you take those out.

I preferred the more Linux technical nature of the older issues.

There are some specials and compendium issues also available.

The full range can be accessed here
    https://pclosmag.com/index.html

and the special editions here
    https://pclosmag.com/special.html

No doubt it is still a valuable addition to one's general reading.

• Advertisement

Debian 10 "Buster" released on Saturday, I believe.

Debian 10 "Buster" released on Saturday, I believe.

Yep, currently seeding a few iso files. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,266 ✭✭✭source

Solus 4 is my current favourite distro. The only issue I've had with it, is the login screen displays a chosen image from the os instead of allowing you to use your desktop wallpaper.

It just works, no WiFi issues, no battery drain, no overheating (all issues I had on the same machine with Ubuntu).

Over all my years of using numerous Linux distros, the distro that has spent the longest in one spell installed on my machine is Arch. Must go back there fairly soon when I can find the motivation to do an install!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

I guess it depends on the job.

Personal use I've got stuck on Fedora for years now mostly due to time constraints. As it tends to just work and don't have a lot of time to be "playing" to get things done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Great thread. Can't reccomomend a favorite as I just started looking at Linux Distros. Just a quick thumbs up for Puppy Linux. It was only 340mb's and seems to have everything on it. Have it on an old laptop. PCLinuxOS is getting a spin-up now on my main pc. What will a 2.5 gig instal have on it compared to Puppy I wonder. Keep the recommendations coming!

Debian Stable + Mate DE.

I believe that Fedora has just dropped a new release there recently. Not been Linux-ing much lately but must fire that up in a VM to take a look.

Read somewhere recently that Ubuntu has seen a massive surge in users since the demise of Windows 7. Good to see!

I believe that Fedora has just dropped a new release there recently. Not been Linux-ing much lately but must fire that up in a VM to take a look.

Read somewhere recently that Ubuntu has seen a massive surge in users since the demise of Windows 7. Good to see!

DT covers it here:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I'm using Anti-X on my ancient Sony laptop and can't recommend it highly enough. All the other distros I tried were slow and sluggish on this machine, but Anti-X brought a new life to it.

I've even managed to get Microsoft Teams working on it, say no more.

Advertisement