Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Trying to register .ie domain

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

Blacknight wrote: »
    You need to get a registered business name from the CRO if you are trading as anything other than your given name ie. if your name is John Doe and you want to trade as Irish Widgets you would need it
    The VAT registration limits are unrelated

When the best hosting providers give this kind of advice you'd better take it onboard!

As stated earlier register a business name with the CRO. My understanding is that web applications are processed much faster than paper applications.

And as for .ie addresses, my advice would be to continue with it. They have several advantages over other extension TLDs.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 17 liamo1991

It doesn't have to relate exactly, so if you had that business you could get a domain name made up of any combination of the keywords without any extra paperwork
    Thanks for the advice Blacknight, it was helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Speculator

Hi

i bought 3 .ie domains for personal use. I am now planning on developing them to make money. Do i need to inform them that i now wish to use these domains as a business?

And what type of company do most websites operate, a sole trader?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Speculator wrote: »
    Hi

i bought 3 .ie domains for personal use. I am now planning on developing them to make money. Do i need to inform them that i now wish to use these domains as a business?

If you registered the domain(s) to yourself as a private individual and are now operating as a limited company then you probably should get them updated to the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Speculator

If you registered the domain(s) to yourself as a private individual and are now operating as a limited company then you probably should get them updated to the company.

Hi Blacknight,

I will be operating as a sole trader, will this make any difference?

• Advertisement

Speculator wrote: »
    Hi Blacknight,

I will be operating as a sole trader, will this make any difference?
    Probably not, as there's no real line between an individual and a sole trader

• Registered Users Posts: 4 scotwilson

jmcc wrote: »
    No. People are often smarter than that. If you are targeting the Irish market, it is best to have a .ie as .com is global.

Regards...jmcc

I am totally agree with u jmcc, me as a scotish person i would refer that.........:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 bmw10740

With .ie there is a requirement to validate your connection as an Irish entity. This can be quite good once you have it but it does mean that you must supply the required documentation. If you are committed to your business long term then registering with CRO is something you will want to do anyway. Best advice is collect your documents and take the time to sort it out correctly. It will be worth it. Also check out http://gettingirishbusinessonline.ie/ its a great support for new business starting out. As an Irish business, if your customer base is Ireland then it will be worth the effort getting the .ie status. Good luck, hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jlacey

this is true really for your business in Ireland, even.co.uk can marginalise an irish consumer, but if all else fails, people are not that bothered if your .com or .ie, how good you run your business is the most important thing, because rank engine and search engine results will go up and down and this will effect profits

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Mr Bump

OP, HellFireClub is correct, it is ot hard, just register online, it costs 20 euro, you must also register with core.ie, when you pay online then within 24hours you will be able to access your RBN1 for in core and email it for your .ie address, it is really not that hard, also it only takes 24 hour for everything to be completed,
    What you need to do OP is register a Business Name with the CRO using the RBN1 form, when you pay your (40 Euro I think it is or 20 Euro if you do it online), you can fax the receipt you get to your web hosting company and this will tick the little public sector box that needs to be ticked in order to issue you with a domain name.

http://www.cro.ie/ena/business-registration-business-name.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 aclerkin

Write the provider of .ie domain a letter explaining all and that should cover it. I don't think they read them half the time anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Gizmoses

A .ie domain name is one of the hardest domains to get. But if you supply your hosting company with a business number from CRO (which costs 20 euro online) should have it within the week.

Hope that helps

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

A .ie domain is generally not at all difficult to get but it does take slightly more than handing over your credit card details.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Cookiepus

i thought - great i can do this on my PC with credit card or whatever
    look at the instructions!....post a cheque!

Step 1
    Complete your document online

Step 2
    Print and sign your signature page

Step 3
    Post the signature page along with your cheque to:-

Business Names Section
    Companies Registration Office
    Parnell House
    14 Parnell Square
    Dublin 1

Cookiepus wrote: »
    i thought - great i can do this on my PC with credit card or whatever
    look at the instructions!....post a cheque!

Step 1
    Complete your document online

Step 2
    Print and sign your signature page

Step 3
    Post the signature page along with your cheque to:-

Business Names Section
    Companies Registration Office
    Parnell House
    14 Parnell Square
    Dublin 1
    Unfortunately they don't take payment online.. And so you have to find a cheque book ..

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mmclo

I paid online, I think you can for all cro stuff now it takes you to a relex section. But yes still had to send the "signature" form by post!

mmclo wrote: »
    I paid online, I think you can for all cro stuff now it takes you to a relex section. But yes still had to send the "signature" form by post!

Good to know. I haven't applied for any RBNs for a while, so wasn't aware that they took payment online. Sending in the signature sheet isn't too hard :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,280 ✭✭✭jmcc

Surprising that the CRO hasn't upgraded to fax. :) The signature requirement is a legal one from what I remember. Online payment does make it somewhat simpler but is it still a long wait for the actual cert?

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mmclo

Mine took 3 weeks

mmclo wrote: »
    Mine took 3 weeks

From what I recall it might take that long to get the physical certificate, but the actual number was assigned and available to check via their site quite a bit sooner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Sounds
    EMar Sounds

Here's a solution that might help.

Register a cheap domain name, .biz or something, example host.biz
    That domain will be used to register for a reseller hosting account.
    A reseller hosting account will enable you to create hosting accounts for your own domain names.
    It just works out a lot cheaper than signing up for separate hosting accounts for each domain.

Register a business name with cro as a sole trader 20€
    Your cert is sent in the post and you get your RBN number.

Buy a cheap reseller hosting package for 15/20$ so you can set up hosting
    accounts for your own domains, instead of renting separate hosting accounts.
    One of my personal choices would be cPanel.

Use the reseller account to set up hosting accounts for your domain names.

When asked what relationship your .ie has with the other domain (reseller account host.biz)
    host.biz is providing the hosting for your .ie domain name/s.
    Problem solved.

Well that's my solution, hope it helps

Having a reseller account is not going to make the blindest difference in how you register a .ie domain name.

EMar Sounds

We were asked to provide information and a reason for registering a .ie
    We simply replied that the other domain (reseller) was providing the hosting
    for the new .ie that we wanted to register, application was filled.

I didn't say that you have to have a reseller hosting account to register a .ie this worked for us.

I could go out this morning, buy a small piece of soft fruit, name it Bob, then go and register a .ie domain name but that wouldn't be relevant here either.

Sounds wrote: »
    <snip>
    Register a business name with cro as a sole trader 20€

<snip>

The only relevant bit in there is registering the business name with the CRO.

EMar Sounds

I just read the post, not how old it was, and could relate to their situation as it was a bit stressful to get a .ie at first.
    If i follow the same procedure to day, i'd have my domain tomorrow or next day, that's all i'm saying.
    Where as if i registered any other tld, i'd have my hosting setup and pointing to the domain in mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Sounds wrote: »
    If i follow the same procedure to day, i'd have my domain tomorrow or next day, that's all i'm saying.

All you need is your RBN number and you can get one in minutes. I've even registered .ie domains for personal hobby use and had them approved in a couple of hours based on a cover letter (email) sent to the IEDR.

+1

Even a discretionary name is quick enough, 24 hours from registration to domain resolving the last time I did it. I probably could have got it faster than that if I'd included the supporting application letter with the application.

I stand corrected, recently registered a .ie about 2pm in the day, domain was resolving the same day shortly after 5pm. Just over 3 hours :eek:

Top marks to the IEDR.

• Advertisement
    EMar Sounds

Very fast yes, they realize that Ireland are behind the rest of the world in the TLD business.. at last
    Or you just caught them on a good day.

Advertisement