Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Graduate Electronic Engineers

Options
  • 24-11-2005 6:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭

Any graduates having trouble getting a start??? What companies are recruiting graduate engineers at the moment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

Fierce difficult at the moment. I know a good few people who've had to go abroad to get anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Dr. Bill

Where abouts did they go .... Folks are driving me mad to get a job. I think they think I'm just a lazy gig .... but i've sent out about 50 CV since last July. Any suggestions???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭poker_face

I'm in the same boat as yourself Dr. Bill. It's awful annoying, i might consider going back doing a taught masters of some sort nex year. Where are people looking for jobs abroad and has anyone any decent links to possible recruitment sites. I started looking into places in england but i reckon most recruitment agencies would be put off by the fact that I don't live there.

Totally agree ..... I've tried reeds.co.uk and monster.co.uk but as you say you'd have to move over there. Why would you bother bring someone over from Ireland when you have loads of graduates in England that are in the same boat.

I've tried www.gradIreland.com here but am getting nowhere. Its a joke. Don't know would a Masters make any difference. Its all about getting experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Wavey

Hi guys,
    Was in your boat a few yrs ago. Mechanical engineering though.

Dont bother with agencies or web sites. They are a waste of time.

Get the Indo and the Times on Thursday and Friday and look for Company ads, not agency ads.

Join the IEI and ring them to get the names and phone numbers of Engineering Managers in suitable companies. Then get on the phone to them. Dont bother with email as you wont get a reply.

Best of luck.

Wavey

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The government would have us believe there is a jobs boom...
    What a joke.

But for graduate engineers .... what hope is there??

Why we have pretty much 0% unemployment.
    There is a jobs boom ;if you want to stack shelves,stack bricks and work in low paid jobs .
    There are very few good jobs out there.
    The building sector is booming and so is the low income market as seen by the negligible increase in tax income during the last year despite the large number of new jobs.
    I have a relatively well paid job but most of the people I know across a wide range of disciplines dont have good jobs.
    There is a big difference between having 'A' job and a 'Good' job.
    Lots of jobs,very few good jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

There is a jobs boom ;if you want to stack shelves,stack bricks...

tbh The building Trade is one of the best paid trades at present, a good labourer can come out with 500 a week,

a good qualified bricklayer can get up to and around 2000 a week

Yip Building is the place to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Fmicrochip

I think the situation is going to get worse.
    Did anyone see the atricle in the current BusinessWeek magazine?
    Basically saying how there are huge numbers of talented engineers in central Europe(i would have called it eastern europe), Poland,Bulgaria etc.
    The wages are a good bit cheaper and will be for the next 10 years or so.
    Alot of the big companies are setting up offices there.

The only thing they are missing in those countries is management talent.

So basically its been a waste doing engineering in college!!!!

The Governmet have alot to answer for.
    Blatantly deceiving young people into thinking Engineering/Computers is a boom area.
    I recently received a circular plugging IT courses in a local college,stating 'that there is a huge demand for It personnel and will be for the next few years'
    Thats disgraceful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Boredinwork

Feel your pain guys, went through all that myself for a while. Did the postgrad thing and everything. Eventually got work but not entirely happy with it. If you want my advice, head to England for a while, how much is a Ryanair flight anyway!!! You will get paid better, get better work and experience that in Ireland. Also the car's are cheaper, houses are cheaper, drink is cheaper and women are easier. What more do you want. Actually thinking of heading myself at the minute!!! If not there Australia, Ireland is just to expensive. !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Fmicrochip

I'm just not sure if Ireland is an 'engineering country'.
    I think of Germany as an 'engineering country', Siemens,Bosch, big automotive industry etc. And the important point is that it is established there.
    Compare this with Ireland...

But I'm sure England would have there surplace of engineers. Our college is always trying to promote electronics and computers ... for what I ask my self. Basically to keep the lecturers in a job ... thats all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I've had three jobs since graduating im 04

6 months contart with IBM as a test and Debug tech (over qualified, however good pay and experience) there alwasy looking fro staff cintact multiflex in blandchardstown

then a got a full time electronic design engineers job with Motorola. who pulled out of Ireland 6 months later making me and the rest iof the design house redundant.

now working as installation/service/desgin engineer with a tiny Irish firm.#

take what you can, it will open doors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭CathalMc

daveirl wrote:

Motorola SPS (EE IC design) were haemorrhaging money the last few years, there were pretty drastic overhauls needed which most likely resulted in the Motorola closure mentioned above, some considerable restructuring, and splitting off of the section to form Freescale. In this instance, your experience was just bad luck, albeit - I suspect - also a symptom of some of the recent depressions in the market.

Interesting perhaps: Analog Devices have a good reputation with regards to maintaining their workforce during poor market conditions - and are quite aggressive with hiring new grads recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

I got my degree in 2003 and found a job as a 'maintanence engineer' in Intel. Contractor at the time. The money was great but the job was sh1t. It was on shift, days and nights. Hard to have a proper life. So i decided to chuck it in. I looked for about 4 months before i did and then was unemployed for 2 still looking. Nothing came back. Most application didnt even get a reply good or bad!!!!
    I took a job in a bank and am still doing it now, not looking so much for engineering jobs but am looking at the IT department. My foot is well and truely in the door and i have gone for aptitude tests regarding I.T.
    Still waiting to here back.
    Its not easy but might eventually lead to me using my degree!!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭scorptech

Hi,

I hope someone can help in this forum.

I'm looking to speak to someone who is a electrical/mechanical engineer who knows about magnetics/motors in general.

I have an idea regarding free energy. I am an IT professional with a basic background in electronics and science. I have researched Tesla's theories in magnetics and would like to discuss my potential idea with someone who knows the theory and practical side of building a motor.

I'm not sure whether this will work, hence why I need to speak to someone who knows this area very well. If it does work, then the potential will be unbelieveable!!

Anyone interested in having a chat??

Scorptech

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

f*ck! i'll be sending off my CV shortly (im in final year electronic eng) and i didnt think things were so bad!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

They had better be better in a few years :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 amistyfog

This topic is seriously leading me to question putting engineering as my sole option on the CAO application

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I honestly don't know. I'm in third year now, and we've had several companies in offering us job before we even take have our final results after fourth year. Intel being the only one that stood out in my mind.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

amistyfog wrote:
    This topic is seriously leading me to question putting engineering as my sole option on the CAO application
    I was gonna do that too but you should have thrown something else down aswell. I put down law and theoretical physics just in case...then you can at least change your mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Teg Veece

What are the advantages/disadvantages of taking the Masters or PhD route after you graduate?

Advertisement