Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

23mo not napping after creche.

Options
  • 17-09-2020 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

Help me out here. 23mo not napping after crèche.

LO (23mo) started crèche last week. She goes Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Before starting crèche she woke at 8:30, napped 2:30-4, went to bed at 8:30. Crèche starts at 9am and finishes at 12 so I have shifted her schedule by an hour, waking at 7:30am.

The issue is that she won’t nap after we come home. I pick her up at 12, walk home (she’s usually in a buggy) about 20 minutes, give her lunch, and put her down for a nap at 1:30. And she will run around for about half an hour, then start to cry and not settle.

If I go up at 2 she often has a dirty nappy. Fair enough, I wouldn’t be able to sleep with poo in my undies either. I put her on the potty (training is going really well) before nap but she won’t poo. If I go up, change her nappy and put her down she’ll sleep at about 2:30 until 4:30, then wake up in a foul mood.

Any ideas? Should I give her a snack on her way home and put her down as soon we get home? Keep her up until 2 and hope she has a poo?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Am I right in thinking she’s only been 4 days so far? I’d give her a bit more time to adjust before you change things.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Vittu

It will take longer until she settles to the routine. Let her walk home instead of being in the buggy all the way and this might help her sleep also.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

bee06 wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking she’s only been 4 days so far? I’d give her a bit more time to adjust before you change things.

It had only been 4 days, yes. I’ve switched completely to school schedule in the hope it would help the transition. She is pretty wired on her way home.

kylith wrote: »
    It had only been 4 days, yes. I’ve switched completely to school schedule in the hope it would help the transition. She is pretty wired on her way home.

Does she still nap on the non crèche days?

Vittu wrote: »
    It will take longer until she settles to the routine. Let her walk home instead of being in the buggy all the way and this might help her sleep also.

I’ll give it a try, we have just gotten a new backpack for her with a leash attached (am very pregnant so can’t run after her). I can see how it would help burn off energy.

• Advertisement

Does she still nap on the non crèche days?

She does, at around the same time, and a bit better than on crèche days.

kylith wrote: »
    She does, at around the same time, and a bit better than on crèche days.

Her brain is melted from crèche so. Maybe a bit more time for it to become normal.

My 2yr 9mth old started preschool 3 weeks ago. Never been in crèche etc so all new and he’s wild afterwards. Refused to get in the car all this week and we’ve had to let him run around for 10 mins first.

Often has a dirty nappy?
    Like 3 out of the 4 days she has been there, or 4 days?
    I don't know I have 4 kids and they don't dirty their nappies same time each day.
    Are they changing her nappies when they need changing. Maybe something small but what else are they not doing.
    Would it be feasible to not shift the schedule an hour could you send her in a bit later.
    Babies so young like their routine.

Her brain is melted from crèche so. Maybe a bit more time for it to become normal.

My 2yr 9mth old started preschool 3 weeks ago. Never been in crèche etc so all new and he’s wild afterwards. Refused to get in the car all this week and we’ve had to let him run around for 10 mins first.
    Glad to know it's not just mine!

Often has a dirty nappy?
    Like 3 out of the 4 days she has been there, or 4 days?
    I don't know I have 4 kids and they don't dirty their nappies same time each day.
    Are they changing her nappies when they need changing. Maybe something small but what else are they not doing.
    Would it be feasible to not shift the schedule an hour could you send her in a bit later.
    Babies so young like their routine.
    She's pretty well potty trained and has been clean and dry coming back from creche every day. She poos when I put her nappy on and she goes up to her room to nap.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

4 days and not 4 consecutive days. I would not rush her here.My feeling is that 23 months (am I right that she isn't 2 yet?) Is young to be toilet training ,but look, that is personal opinion.But honestly, poos take a long time for them to get the hang of.I suspect she is pooing when she gets home because she is just not comfortable doing it in the creche yet.However it is not an issue, unless it becomes one, if you knwo what I mean - holding it in or similar.

As for the napping, her brain is probably totally over-stimulated.The going to sleep at 2.30, and waking exhausted at 4.30 because she was awake for so long in the morning.

From observing my 3 going to a minder, if you could get her into creche on 2 consecutive days you might find it a little easier.That being said, she is small, so she will adjust - I would walk her home slowly, let her have a little snack and wind down a bit and maybe about 45 mins to an hour after she comes home, try the nap.It will take time, so let it.

The only other comment is that their sleep goes a bit haywire around 2 for a few weeks.I have had this with all mine, naps that were easy suddenly take much longer around age 2 - don't know why, but it does settle down again after a few weeks once you persevere. She hasn't a clue what day of the week is what though so the few days at home, then a creche day, home day, creche day is going to be tough for her to get used to.Once she gets into knowing what happens when she leaves creche and goes home it will get easier, unfortunately you will have to just stick it out til then.

Advertisement