Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dating Pottery?

• 17-08-2020 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Just a general question. How is Neolithic/Bronze Age pottery dated?

I've recently dug up a lithic when in the garden and a saddle quern was found a few feet outside my garden.

With raised awareness of the context I've been noticing and keeping bits of what I would guess are pieces of pottery. They dont seem to be natural stones and each seems to have at least one flat or rounded edge, which I might be imagining.

Def not modern pottery and the pieces are quite light, (not as dense as a stone) orange/brown but not as bright as Victorian brick or as refined and coarse in content.

Does clay of this description occur naturally?

I'm hopefully getting an archaeologist to have a look shortly.

In the meantime any suggestions as to how to determine that they might be Neolithic/Bronze age?

I can post pictures if anyone would like a look.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'm no expert on it, but IIRC they date pottery by style, context, material used and in the lab by various chemical means(and by dating any material that might be found within or stuck to them). I'd imagine, but again no expert here, that Neolithic/Bronze age pottery would have certain styles and materials that would tend to place them in that period?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Photos would be appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Chauncey Gardner

Hi Slowburner. Items assessed as small bits of post medieval brick. One larger piece had grass marks on the underside from when it was air dried.

Advertisement