Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mac bootup problem

Options
  • 01-08-2020 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Help required please ........
    I have a 2017 Mac which was running macOS Catalina version 10.15.5.

I tried to delete the information on the drives before selling it and have managed to delete the entire thing including the startup drivers.

When I start the mac it displays a large question mark so I attempted CMD R and get brought to a spinning globe and "Select Network"

I select my vodafone network and inset the wifi code and the globe spins.

Eventually it times out and I get error code 2002f.

I tried to connect direct to the router via cable but it never seems to connect. It only ever seems to connect via wifi and not cable.

So the outcome is I'm stuck with a bricked mac.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

The Mac is looking for the wifi network so that it can restart the set up process. Let it. Why would you think your phone would have anything to do with it?

Have you a full back-up of your system?

Have you access to another Mac? If so, create a bootable USB and boot from this to restore your machine from the backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Amad

Doodah7 wrote: »
    The Mac is looking for the wifi network so that it can restart the set up process. Let it. Why would you think your phone would have anything to do with it?

Have you a full back-up of your system?

Have you access to another Mac? If so, create a bootable USB and boot from this to restore your machine from the backup.

Hi, thanks for your response.
    I don’t think it’s phone. When I say tried to connect to Vodafone network, I mean via WiFi and direct to router via cable.

I must’ve tried at least 20 times now but never finds/connects to the setup process and times out.

Luckily I have all my docs and pictures saved to external drive.

Unfortunately no access to another Mac.

I don’t suppose you are in Dublin and could make me a bootable usb? I’d gladly drive and give you a usb stick if you could make it for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Do you have access to another Mac? You’ll need to download Catalina and put it on a USB drive if Internet Recovery doesn’t work.

I had similar happen on my 2017 MBP when I was erasing it to send it for repairs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I don't understand why it's booting into internet recovery. Did you delete the recovery partition as well? How? I didn't think Catalina let you do this. Does holding option on startup give you any choice of drive to boot from?

Do you have a friend or family member whose wifi you could use? Sounds like it just doesn't like your network.

I’ve ordered a bootup usb from eBay let’s see if it works. €10. Better than the €90 I was quoted from a computer fixing company 😂

• Advertisement

Problem resolved.

Hotspoted from my phone to computer and it did the internet bootup no problem. Strange it wouldn’t do it from WiFi or earthnet cable.

Anyway, sorted now. Thanks for the inputs.

Advertisement