Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newspapers.com v Irishnewspapers ?

• 29-12-2019 9:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

Tossing over in my mind which sub would be best. Any advice appreciated?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I've never used the former, so can't help.

Best thing is to compare what they have for Ireland on both. I suspect British newspaper archives vs Irishnewsarchive both probably have more.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dom101

Second British newspaper archive as it has a lot of the Irish ones such as the Cork Examiner etc. But depends on where you live and which area your most interested in. I find it great for Cork and Dublin based papers, but the Irish archive has the likes of the Evening Echo which the British one doesn't. Also the search engines for both can return different results on the same papers.

If you decide to go with the British one then it would be better value to go for the Find my past sub that includes the british newspaper archive, that why you get more bang for your money. It's only €18.99 per month, which I think is good value.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I find the BNA search on FMP very poor. Have looked up things on it and INA and not been able to find the same thing in the same newspaper.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Sorry, should have said, I'd be searching for Irish deaths/births. Did the British Newspapers have these? I don't think its really done in the UK nowadays as much as it is here in Ireland.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The BNA has some Irish papers that aren't available elsewhere and it isn't usually available in libraries when the INA (and one or both methods of getting the Irish Times) is. If I had to pick one only that'd probably be the decider

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭BowWow

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Tossing over in my mind which sub would be best. Any advice appreciated?

A question I have also wondered about recently...

Looking at the three choices -

1. Newspapers.com An Ancestry site. Very American focused. Did their free weekend some months ago and can't say I found the site of much use to me. However lately I seem to be getting a lot of newspaper.com hints on my Ancestry account, so maybe they are getting better.

2. Irishnewsarchive.com Seems expensive, and as it's available free through the local library don't think I would pay for it.

3. British Newspaper Archives Comes highly recommended, lots of Irish content and probably what I'll go for. Current 12 month deal looks like good value.

NB - I've looked at several Welsh Newspapers(English language versions), for free, in the Welsh National Archives. Well worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Thanks for that BowWow, I appreciate your wisdom!

Advertisement