Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Man gives little scrote a smack of a hurl and gets 4 year sentence?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭steves2

faceman wrote: »
    Sentence was deserved. No question. Guy also has previous convictions for violence

I’m wondering though when the court date of the 16 year old will take place? For you know, criminal damage to private property?

That teenager started the whole thing, the guy shouldn't have whacked him in the head but the teenager commited a couple of offences to get to that happening. But nothing will happen to him now considering the state he's been left in.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭steves2

Judge said

This goes to show where judges like this grew up or reflects the area where they live now. Where I grew up there always issues like this on the road or in the estate. Reading some of the responses on the thread, you would know that they've had experience with degenerates like this and that the judges approach well past its sell-by date by a few decades.

IMO, the hurl to the head is a bit much. It's the adults' fault for being reckless. Go for the ankles, wrists or elbows. You don't go for the head regardless of what age they, its just a bad move. If this teenager was old enough to be out in a group acting the degenerative bollox and was able to swing a wooden plank deliberately intending to physically harm someone: they are old enough to know the repercussions of their actions.

Where I grew up and where my family lives, in scenarios like this, you stop being a child at 16. When you start becoming disrespectful and you go on the way the teenager went on, you got a slap. And when they crawl off with their tails between their legs to their dads, they would come down and get a slap too.

The guards are useless in situations like this. The courts incentivize this behavior by not providing the correct sentences. The adult was stupid and lashed out.

This post sums up my thoughts perfectly.

I don't see any comment on the performance of the jury, in finding him guilty. It is obvious that 12 people picked from this thread would find him not guilty, despite the evidence.

Well 12 is a small sample., but yeah it's pretty likely. That's what's always so curious about people who talk about 'out of touch' judges. This man was convicted by a jury of his peers, ordinary people almost literally plucked from the street.

Btw I do think judges are out of touch - but in the sense that they probably have scarce insight into the economic reality of most people's lives, but that's more relevant to civil litigation/ awards of damages, which are often quite excessive.

When it comes to crime, judges live in the same world as the rest of us do. Their kids go out in town and bump into 'scumbags"; their houses are occasionally burgled, they walk the same roads and see the same anti-social behaviour we all do.

I think the Chief Justice has some level of Garda protection, but that's it. I'm not sure why anyone thinks judges live in a different world when it comes to crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I think it went a little too far but what are you supposed to do in this situation? You try 'peaceful talk' and they sh1t all over you. I can see no good from ringing the guards either. Nothing will come off it and you make yourself a target again. Best way is probably show them they better pick on someone else. Did it get out of hand? Was hitting him hard over the head a bit much? Possibly. But its a situation that could go in any direction. We dont know what if felt like confronting a gang of sh1ts outside your house. Most likely it didnt feel good, real threat, fear and adrenaline flowing. There is a good chance you end up with a knife in your belly outside your driveway. I think we're sending the wrong signal. Shi1ts who have no qualms about hurting someone are racking up dozens of convictions, not a bother. Ordinary guy stands up to them gets 4 years. Really?

There is a good chance you end up with a knife in your belly outside your driveway.
    Quite the opposite. How many confrontational interactions would you say there are in Ireland every week -- take into account all of the drunken brawls that happen in cities and towns and villages and homesteads all across the country?

Would there be 3,000? 10,000 per week? I guess it depends on how you define 'confrontational'.

How many of those do you think end in a stabbing?

As it happens, we have the answer. Three. On average, three people in a land of about 4 million people are admitted to hospital every week with wounds inflicted by a knife

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/stabbings-seem-to-decline-despite-rise-in-knife-seizures-1.3920054

As the article says, that info is to be treated cautiously, but knife crime appears to be decreasing, according both to Gardaí and the HSE. This isn't London, where knife crime seems to be genuinely epidemic.

I don't understand why sometimes people insist that the world is such a dark and hostile place. I don't understand how these people ever manage to leave the house, or maybe they don't. The world is full of showers and streams, flowers and trees, beasts of the sky and of the land, creeping things, wide seas, fat hills, sunshine, starlight, small children, normal people, and - probably, most likely - nobody is going to stab you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

Spent 3 years working for the courts. Left 2 months ago because I couldn't take it any longer. On one hand you have the judges in the high court handing out 80k for a cut finger, the other at Criminal courts a judge handing out a suspended to a lad for GBG and robbery with 80 previous and only 19 years old. I have to agree with others, it's a business. They system is rigged to keep the courts busy and the public is paying for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

And what happens if he comes back again, again and again.....

The fcuking scum bag tried to attack him...

You do realise that kids of 10 years of age are carrying knives and dealing drugs....

This 16 year old wasn't going over to give him a hug, he tried to hit him with a plank.... He damaged his property...

If Mr Curtis hadn't done what he done there is near no doubt this would most likely carry on and happen again.....

The kids had gone away at that stage. He followed them. That moves it from self defence to an attack. A fine line I know, but a line crossed none the less

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

We have a legal system in this country, not a justice system. Anyone who is familiar with the court system knows this. Those who are earning a fortune off of it would never admit that.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bigboldworld

The judiciary, the judiciary, the judiciary, they are the ones to blame, they consistently hand out weak sentences or none at all for anti social and far more serious crime, you hear the old don’t do it again lad and off you go too many times, judges have an almost god like status in this country for what I’m not so sure, I await the cop out answers of they can only go by the law however what completely nullifies that argument is the inconsistency in sentencing handed out by different judges for similar crimes, they don’t read from the same book therefore it comes down to the personal decision taken by the particular judge on the particular day and far far too often they favor the perpetrator of the crime, I’m not sure why.

I once spoke to a detective about this issue and he basically said that you have to remember that most judges are completely removed from day to day society, their backgrounds etc are privileged and they rarely if ever encounter the twenty gouriers referenced in this story therefore they get some sort of do good kick out of going lenient, his words. Of all the issues over the years that warranted people to march this is one that I would get involved in but it will never happen therefore leaving it to normal folk to take matters into their own hands as who else will defend us, the judges have proven time and time again they wont.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

The young pup (injured) intended to do serious damage, by knocking your man out with a plank. That's very clear.

But he didn't succeed. What would you, a civilised individual, do in that situation? You'd probably call him, and his mother, every name under the sun; you'd probably belt him across the ankles. I seriously doubt you, Emmet, would strike him on the head with a hurl. That's completely beyond the pale, in terms of acceptable behaviour. You do not give someone brain damage out of revenge.

You are not civilised.

You are WEAK.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 Simms

Judges out of touch?

Had to attend court for a minor driving offence some time ago. Ther were two little skangers up before my case was called. Driving a vehicle with no tax, insurance or licence. On so-called mitigating factors the judge gave them a slap on the wrist and informed them that "The sword of Damocles was hanging over their heads"

I despair :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bigboldworld

Simms wrote: »
    Judges out of touch?

Had to attend court for a minor driving offence some time ago. Ther were two little skangers up before my case was called. Driving a vehicle with no tax, insurance or licence. On so-called mitigating factors the judge gave them a slap on the wrist and informed them that "The sword of Damocles was hanging over their heads"

I despair :rolleyes:

I can just see it, the boys walking out of court, did ya hear your man, the sword of bleedin what?!? Bleedin muppet!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,954 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Eh. US is the same. Look crosseyed at some feral scrote and if you're an adult, your life's over. Wife's cousin grabbed a kid who was riding his biked into his car for jollies and pretty much has been in hell since due to the legal system.

Don't get involved with OPK's - Other People's Kids. Every one of those vermin has a sire and dam who use them as tickets to $$ through lawsuits and notoriety. Don't touch them, help them, nothing. If you see one of them taking a sh1te in an aisle at Aldi, turn around and go to another aisle.

Be thankful they mostly behave better here than in the US. The difference is actually pretty remarkable - whenever I've see a kid melting down in a grocery store, it's always got a Brit or US accent. The Irish kids don't. That behavior's not rewarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,831 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I think that is a harsh sentence...he swung a plank at him before the hurl was used!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

Greentopia wrote: »
    'Curtis has previously served a partially suspended six year sentence for an assault causing serious harm to his former partner in a 2004 stabbing incident.'

So the guy is a scumbag himself. Not much mentioned of that by the people who feel sorry for him and applaud his actions.

Because it is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

These little gougers are a result of over population and under education and as a consequence are a lesser human being, generally they have no ambition to better themselves just to go on the take for the rest of their miserable lives.

If a decent human being is going to confront one of them at least do a proper job and finish it in one go. If you are going to get a criminal record make sure it's for something decent. Ridding society of this dross is decent work.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

gmisk wrote: »
    I think that is a harsh sentence...he swung a plank at him before the hurl was used!

WTF is a hurl?

It's a hurley!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

It's amazing how members of the legal profession can repeat such blatant nonsense as someone describing himself as a "quiet" person who had played sports and had a small group of close friends.

Quiet people with a small group of close friends don't hang around in groups of twenty, engaging in antisocial behaviour, damaging other people's property and taking a swipe at someone with a plank.

I guess it treads the fine line between repeating a lie and actually telling a lie

• Registered Users Posts: 13,321 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Swung a plank and missed and vandalised his car.

He didn't swing back in self defence, he decided to follow the child and break his skull with a blow to the back of the head.

That's not proportionate in response at all. Why did he need to follow him? It clearly wasn't self defence, he wanted to go after him. That's assault.

Jonybgud wrote: »
    WTF is a hurl?

It's a hurley!

I'm from northern Ireland it's called a hurl where I am from..Hurley is that woman who went out with Hugh Grant

• Advertisement

8-10 wrote: »
    Swung a plank and missed and vandalised his car.

He didn't swing back in self defence, he decided to follow the child and break his skull with a blow to the back of the head.

That's not proportionate in response at all. Why did he need to follow him? It clearly wasn't self defence, he wanted to go after him. That's assault.
    I'm sure you would be all sweetness and light if some group of scumbags were smashing up your car and swung a plank at you when you went out to them.

F#ck em, I have zero time for little sh#ts like this 16yo he was old enough to know what he was doing was wrong, if he was doing stuff like that up north he would likely be knee capped.

this 16yo he was old enough to know what he was doing was wrong

So was the 36 year old

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Jonybgud wrote: »
    These little gougers are a result of over population and under education and as a consequence are a lesser human being, generally they have no ambition to better themselves just to go on the take for the rest of their miserable lives.

If a decent human being is going to confront one of them at least do a proper job and finish it in one go. If you are going to get a criminal record make sure it's for something decent. Ridding society of this dross is decent work.

I disagree, he has a life changing injury that will need care for the rest of his worthless life, it'll give his scumbag family something to do to care for him, it might focus their minds on how not to bring up children to go around wrecking cars and terrorising the neighbours

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

LuasSimon wrote: »
    What are people supposed to do , let scumbags destroy your car outside your house .
    The judges in Ireland really are on the scumbags side

It’s just that they live in a glass bubble with no sense of reality, they don’t live in or experience the real world

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Question is will the scrote damage the guys car again? Doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

It's amazing how members of the legal profession can repeat such blatant nonsense as someone describing himself as a "quiet" person who had played sports and had a small group of close friends.

Quiet people with a small group of close friends don't hang around in groups of twenty, engaging in antisocial behaviour, damaging other people's property and taking a swipe at someone with a plank.

I guess it treads the fine line between repeating a lie and actually telling a lie

Friend of mine was in Court for a speeding ticket recently. There was a guy up for loads of charges, his solicitors defense was he said the guy was easily led.

Your man was 35 years of age.

It’s the same nonsense every time. Troubled background your honour, had a drink problem at the time but seeking help now. He’s recently had a child. Blah blah blah. Off the hook with a 50 quid fine and the probation act.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Question is will the scrote damage the guys car again? Doubt it.

That doesn't mean the assault was justified. Had he died he wouldn't damage the car again, would that have been worth it?

8-10 wrote: »
    So was the 36 year old
    As other posters have said clearly there was a degree of the red mist.
    He is being punished as per the OP.

What would your reaction be if this was happening to you? Would you engage in a lively debate with the gang of teens smashing up your car like the judge insisted was the best action? Let us know how that goes for you...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Live by the car scratch, die by the hurley.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Jesus. I’m all for defending one’s rights and/or property and I can totally see why the red mist might have descended and the guy flew into a rage but seriously? A hurl to the head? To the point of skull fracture?

Totalyl over egged the pudding there Id say.

Advertisement