Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

18-07-2019, 09:05   #61
is_that_so

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bishop Basher View Post

Many of us see no reason to follow your lead and will stand up and fight this as we did last time.
For people to waste water?
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
18-07-2019, 09:07   #62
is_that_so

Quote:
Originally Posted by odyssey06 View Post
And also, surely a leak would account for a helluva lot more water than > 1.8 times the household average?
It needs to be both and IW have acknowledged that work has to be done on leaks.
Thanks from:
18-07-2019, 09:09   #63
The Bishop Basher

Quote:
Originally Posted by is_that_so View Post
For people to waste water?
The vast majority of people don't waste water.

Leaks are a far greater issue and while meters may help with finding them, charging people won't make them go away.
(5) thanks from:
18-07-2019, 09:12   #64
Boggles

I assume they have a new spin team.

I miss this lady, the original Kellyanne Conway.

Fúck me, could she belt out an alternative fact.
Thanks from:
18-07-2019, 09:17   #65
is_that_so

Quote:
The vast majority of people don't waste water.

Leaks are a far greater issue and while meters may help with finding them, charging people won't make them go away.
It could be leaks, it may not. And the article I linked to mentions that issue as well. This approval will allow them to charge if required.
Advertisement
18-07-2019, 09:22   #66
The Bishop Basher

Quote:
Originally Posted by is_that_so View Post
It could be leaks, it may not. And the article I linked to mentions that issue as well. This approval will allow them to charge if required.
I don't trust this government and so they don't have my approval.

As has already been pointed out.. none of the original issues have been addressed.

And a referendum on the ownership of IW is just another red herring.

We're never going to let them sell it off anyway. We don't need a vote to know that.

People need to remember where the real power lies.

If the water protest showed us anything it was that people have to power to say no.
(5) thanks from:
18-07-2019, 09:35   #67
Berserker

Inevitable that this was going to happen after the increase in the green vote in the last election. Water charges were always going to be top of their list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kippy View Post
I think a few things need to be nailed down:
1. Irish Water (or the provision of water within Ireland) should never be privatised.
2. The bodies that deliver this service to the state should be run as efficiently as is possible.
Why should IW not be privatized? Hard to see IW being run efficiently if it is not privatized.

Quote:
So I got onto my local SF counselor and had the installations stopped.
How did the councillor get the installation stopped?

Quote:
Unless they can specifically measure your household usage, there’s no way they’ll be able to bill you for it. That’s their problem though.
Place a flat charge on every home that did not support the installation of a water meter. Preventing the installation of that meter was not a legal action.
18-07-2019, 09:37   #68
JohnnyFlash

Great news. A charge for consumption of this precious commodity is much needed. Irish Water is no different than the ESB or Gas Networks Ireland. A charge will ensure that monies are raised to allow for continued investment in our water infrastructure, and that it doesn’t become the first thing to be cut from the general taxation wish list as it's ‘out of sight, and out of mind’ infrastructure.
Thanks from:
18-07-2019, 09:44   #69
Plumbthedepths

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker
Place a flat charge on every home that did not support the installation of a water meter. Preventing the installation of that meter was not a legal action.

What about those that cannot be metered for various reasons and those that did not oppose a meter but simply hadn't one installed? Can you link to the legislation where it said it was illegal to oppose the installation of a meter?
Advertisement
18-07-2019, 09:44   #70
odyssey06

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlash View Post
Great news. A charge for consumption of this precious commodity is much needed. Irish Water is no different than the ESB or Gas Networks Ireland. A charge will ensure that monies are raised to allow for continued investment in our water infrastructure, and that it doesn’t become the first thing to be cut from the general taxation wish list as it's ‘out of sight, and out of mind’ infrastructure.
That's not what this is. Or is it? Do elaborate.

Are we all about to get a free allowance of electricity or gas based on average household use?
Thanks from:
18-07-2019, 09:45   #71
The Bishop Basher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
How did the councillor get the installation stopped?
You'd have to ask the councilor but the work stopped within 20 mins and rightly so. Installing 1 meter at the top of the road could ascertain if there was a leak in the area and work from there. Putting multiple meters across multiple houses was a complete waste of money by anyone's standards. Those meters could never be used for billing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
I didn't pay and I won''t be paying this time.

Did you claim your refund ?

And peaceful protest is perfectly legal.

If you think otherwise you are free to call the gardai
(3) thanks from:
18-07-2019, 09:45   #72
K.Flyer

The main cause of leaks and water loss is in the infrastructure under the roads, before it gets to peoples houses. Like many years ago with re-laying the gas pipework infrastructure, they need to re-pipe vast amounts of old mains pipework under the streets. That's where the excessive usage / loss is. Excessive usage via domestic properties is miniscule compared to mains leaks and this new idea is just a ruse to start charging on the existing meters.
But what about the thousands of houses and thousands of apartments with no meters?
They will be left out of all of this because there is no way that they can calculate with any degree of accuracy the consumption in an individual property without a meter, especially if the entire block or road have no meters..
Attempting to impose charges on half the country because they have meters and then make up figures for the rest is unacceptable and should not be tolerated.
As has been said above already, this government seem to move from one financial disaster to the next.
People still consider Irish Water a fiasco and it is still fresh in their minds the utter waste of financial resources and gobsh!tery surrounding it.
18-07-2019, 09:51   #73
Boggles

The memories are flooding back.

Remember this bumbling idiot.

200k a year plus bonuses.

Got a €570,000 retirement package after 3 years of absolute and utter incompetence.

Necks like a Jockeys bollíx lecturing people about wastage!
18-07-2019, 09:51   #74
ELM327

I was opposed to Irish Water last time and I am opposed to this now.

I do however believe we should all pay for water, not the stuff that falls from the skies but the service of purifying it and delivering it to your tap.

The reason I was against it was twofold:

1- Everyone should pay for water, no exemptions for the neaveaux riche on the dole getting hap
2- It should be privatized, government quangos don't work well in Ireland.

Have "Irish Water" in charge of the distribution network, and allow a number of water supply companies to resell water on to end users. Like other utilities (gas, electricity etc).
(2) thanks from:
18-07-2019, 10:05   #75
klaaaz

Have they stopped giving 66% of the motor tax to IW? (along with the LPT and the VAT portion which was hiked years ago). Stop that carry on along with fixing the leaks first and crack down on the perks within IW and then water charges might be acceptable. Oh, am wondering how's the progress in the Siteserv inquiry?(another IW scandal which FG has kicked down the road)

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion