Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current Affairs chat thread.

Comments

• I'd just like to sneer at all those peasants left in After Hours. After Hours is so last week that every time I post there even my posts leave for here. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

I'd just like to sneer at all those peasants left in After Hours. After Hours is so last week that every time I post there even my posts leave for here. :p

In about three months it will be retro cool.
    Y'all be clamouring to get back in.
    Heard it here first.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Is this where all the cool people are?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Is this where all the cool people are?
    I think this is where all the banished people have coagulated.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭john why

R

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,116 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

But at least we can all agree the Romans never did anything for us, correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Overheal wrote: »
    But at least we can all agree the Romans never did anything for us, correct?
    Well, they destroyed Carthage so they have that going for them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

john why wrote: »
    R

....TE?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I read recently that we pay something like €5 billion on debt servicing per annum - can someone tell me where that €5bn ends up? As in, whose pockets it ends up in.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I read recently that we pay something like €5 billion on debt servicing per annum - can someone tell me where that €5bn ends up? As in, whose pockets it ends up in.

Frau Merkel's....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

We (via the NTMA) borrow money every year to pay for running the country. These are bought as either long term bonds (for long term financing) or short term bonds (for general cash flow).
    The majority of government bonds are held by overseas traders but much of it is held within the country.
    There is a cost to issuing these bonds!

https://assets.gov.ie/4274/111218115438-102376301fd948c2b20e3449111eff54.pdf - see pg 19 fig 14

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

So the €14 million per day interest on government debt goes to bond holders?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭ Roman Short Fencing

So the €14 million per day interest on government debt goes to bond holders?

Approximately €130 billion of Irish government debt is owed to bondholders. In addition, the government owes about €40 billion in EU loans, €4 billion in a UK bilateral loan, €17 billion to investors in state savings schemes, and €11 billion in other short-, medium-, and long-term debt.

What happened to the traveller machete attack thread?

• What happened to the traveller machete attack thread?

Too many inconvenient truths.

Too many inconvenient truths.

Furthering the sacred cow argument perhaps. Amazing considering some of the things that are said on CA and not deleted.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Apologies - now re-instated with an explanation of what I did wrong.....:o

Beasty wrote: »
    Apologies - now re-instated with an explanation of what I did wrong.....:o

You done messed up a a ron

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You done messed up a a ron

U callin' me messed up??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

Beasty wrote: »
    U callin' me messed up??
    No it was a reference to this brilliant sketch.

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

PhD in history - So not a real doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,433 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mod: I moved the last few posts in this thread to the Helpdesk forum.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058043633

• Right.

Have perused and studied the forum since inception.

For what it's worth, the Current Affairs / IMHO amounts to.........

A Pyrhic Victory.
    Essentially, the Current affairs forum is a copy of the After Hours forum. But certain unsavory things are stated in a more guarded and genteel fashion.

Definitely, a good deal more posts get reported by other upset posters in CA threads that they don't like. This might be fine for threads in Leaving Cert and Secondary Education but it just adds to the reason that I just don't see the need for CA forum.

End of Spiel.

• Whereas I see the value in the CA threads. More leeway given to posters than the politics forum, and usually less childish/immature posts than in AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Donegal's next TD. I felt so embarrassed for Ireland watching this. Apprantly a mixture of Liberals, atheists, Zionists & Jihadis are coming to destroy right-wing Irish Nationalism (good) and this is the only man who can stop it - some conspiracy nutter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Osai7lpXWqs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

I watched more videos of this Donegal TD hopeful, and he seems like a nutter.

He's a anti-Vaciner, believes Dev was a British spy most of his life, and he's a extreme right wing nationalist.

Some of his recent videos harassing people.

Hardly shocking his best mate is Dan Healy Rae

And here he shows his racist guff, calling immigrants invaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Tulsi Gabbard has filed a defamation suit against Hillary Clinton.

As part of the filing she wants us to know that if she winds up "Clintoned", it wasn't suicide.

This is pretty ballsy & not-so-subtly calls Clinton a killer.

9039b70ebb47f9e81341364e5c9f713ecdf65320adc34fe777b5722a193bb1a5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 39,466 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Attention seeking 101.

Yawn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,514 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Tulsi Gabbard has filed a defamation suit against Hillary Clinton.

As part of the filing she wants us to know that if she winds up "Clintoned", it wasn't suicide.

This is pretty ballsy & not-so-subtly calls Clinton a killer.

9039b70ebb47f9e81341364e5c9f713ecdf65320adc34fe777b5722a193bb1a5.jpg

Fake news.

Here's the document.

https://www.politico.com/f/?id=0000016f-cdbf-df03-a1ff-fdbffaf00000

Item 5 is there on the bottom of page 2, but the second sentence about suicide is not there, or anywhere else in the document.

Advertisement