Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: Would you support big change in RTE?
No, Things are fine the way they are 49 3.12%
Yes, Reduce salaries of presenters 448 28.52%
Yes, Reduce the number of channels, services, staff as well as reduce salaries of presenters 637 40.55%
Scrap RTE altogether 437 27.82%
Voters: 1571. You may not vote on this poll

04-05-2018, 14:34   #61
DaveyDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldoninhio View Post
As much as I hate Tubridy, and I truly despise him, the above is incorrect. He is on air 5 hours per week on the radio and on screen 2 hours a week on TV. But you don't just roll out of bed and go straight onto air or on screen though.
While it's true he works more hours than that, that accounts for 7 hours. That's one day worth of time. He'd hardly have 4 days worth of makeup and rehearsal and the like? €500k is not justified when RTE are constantly crying out they WE have to pay more. The first solution should be to cut salaries, if they don't like it they can go elsewhere but I bet they wouldn't get half that money.

Last edited by DaveyDave; 04-05-2018 at 14:38.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
04-05-2018, 14:37   #62
Gunmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Testament1 View Post
An Klondike was a great original TG4 mini series. Story of 2 Irish brothers trying to find their fortune in the Klondike Gold Rush of the late 1800s and the perils of a lawless frontier town. Filmed in Galway and featuring a mix of Irish and English language. More of that kinda work would absolutely justify their budget.
I actually should try watch An Klondike, I ****ing love gold rush era stuff.

Quote:
Funnily enough the ads played in crystal clear uninterrupted high definition though.....
Which begs the question WHY ARE THERE ****ING ADS ON THE PLAYER? Isn't this what the license is meant to pay for, most other services have ads for free viewers only so just make it PPV or sub based already! But then they would see nobody pick it up so they have to try scam older people in subbing to it even if they dont know how to access it.
04-05-2018, 14:55   #63
Edz87

They can just sell more time to advertisers and leave us the fcuk alone.
04-05-2018, 15:22   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneemos View Post
2FM lost us nearly thirty million between 2009 and 2015.
Not sure what public service this station provides. Generic type pop music is at everyone's fingertips if they want it.https://www.boards.ie/
If 2FM is loss making, it needs to be radically reformed or sold off. I can see absolutely no public service value in it whatsoever. It's a pop-driven music station and should not be undermining commercial outfits doing the same thing, and using tax payers' money to do so.

I am all in favour of proper public service broadcasting, but I would like to see the vast majority of the income at RTE being spent, wisely, on good PSB programming on TV and radio.

The licence fee paying public should be getting maximum value for money out of this organisation. It's not meant to be attempting to compete with commercial TV and radio.

Also, I think the BBC's spending is disgraceful across a whole range of areas. it's not a model to follow in terms of how to manage. It seems to spend all its time chasing celebs these days and paying astronomical salaries to compete with ITV and Sky for some inexplicable reason, as it is non-commercial.

It shouldn't matter a damn to BBC 1, 2, 3 and BBC radio whether it's making a huge dent in the ratings or not. That isn't the role of a non-commercial public service broadcaster (PSB).

The Beeb used to be outstanding. Nowadays it seems to spend endless amounts of time on big names, stupid reality tv shows and public service broadcasting like Cash in the Attic.

It's not 1970 and RTE is not the only show in town (nor is BBC). It should be doing genuine public service broadcasting, where it can excel and meet needs that cannot be met commercially. Instead, it is still stuck in this notion that it's the only broadcaster in Ireland and that it has to do all of this bland programming.

The focus should be on news/current affairs, strong documentary making, education / information and entertainment that is not focused on crass commercial stuff. TV3 and others should be left to do that stuff on a purely commercial basis.

Last edited by EdgeCase; 04-05-2018 at 15:28.
04-05-2018, 16:11   #65
OneEightSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses Gaze View Post
I am surprised that a club like Real Madrid or Barcelona has not migrated all their domestic games to their own TV channels/Networks and started charging fans for a season ticket. These are now global brands that could make a fortune directly if they did so.

That is the future of Sports as well I think.
They haven't done this because they don't own the rights to their games, La Liga owns them. Barcelona and Madrid play in their league after all.

The money flows like this: TV companies ----> La Liga --------> football clubs.

If we are to see a streaming service in football, it would have to be organized by the individual football associations, but that would only give us domestic league games. Continental competition, like the Champions League, fall under UEFA's jurisdiction so we'd still have to watch them on TV.
Advertisement
04-05-2018, 16:15   #66

I think everyone should refuse to pay. Let them chase us all.
04-05-2018, 16:18   #67
Rubberchikken

Does any tv station, or country for that matter, deserve tubridy and darcy and miriam bloody o callaghan and the rest.
I watch only boxsets and the occasional thing on netflix and i pay the t.v. licence. Id prefer not to, it galls me, but the thought of paying a fine galls me even more.
04-05-2018, 16:18   #68
Red_Wake

Any organisation that employs Lottie Ryan has too much money.

If I was in dire need of a blood transfusion and saw her come through the door I'd tell her to **** off.
04-05-2018, 16:23   #69
titan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc1
Vince started the WWE Network to get rid of the Cable companies taking their share of the PPV income. Why pay $60+ for a PPV when you can watch it for free as part of the WWE Network service that only costs $9.99 a month? It starting the death knell of normal Cable packages was an added bonus. Now the major sports leagues have their own streaming services [aka.MLB,NFL,NBA,NHL,etc] where for a flat yearly fee you can watch all the games you want.

The major sports leagues had it before WWE Network though. In some cases long before it.
Advertisement
04-05-2018, 16:28   #70

I’m considering challenging payment. Explain to them that due to a terminal illness, I have very little money (very true) but don’t qualify for an exemption (also true). Just tell them “I’m not paying” and dare them to take me to court or fine me. It might be amusing to go to court over it and I’ve very little to lose. If the Lockerbie bomber can be released from prison on compassionate grounds...

Of course, I won’t actually go through with it but it’s fun to daydream. In my head, it’s a courtroom drama.
04-05-2018, 16:37   #71
jim salter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahambo View Post

No one outside of Ireland know's who Tubb's is.

Surely the Kennedy's know who he is?
Thanks from:
04-05-2018, 16:49   #72
jim salter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahambo View Post
Ryan Tubridy - €500,000 per year is the biggest Joke of all
Let's not forget his production company also gets paid by RTE Tuttle Productions
As does Joe Duffy's production company Claddaghgreen Ltd and as did Pat Kenny's production comapny - Pat Kenny Media Services Limited
04-05-2018, 16:50   #73
Cienciano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson View Post
I don't own a radio and only use my TV for my chromecast and xbox. I don't use a single service that they provide.
I'm the same, I have no tv subscription no freeview. I pay for Netflix, stream the odd match. Not a hope in hell would I pay a cent for the tv licence.
04-05-2018, 16:53   #74
Tilikum17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cienciano View Post
I'm the same, I have no tv subscription no freeview. I pay for Netflix, stream the odd match. Not a hope in hell would I pay a cent for the tv licence.
Ditto.
04-05-2018, 16:58   #75
jim salter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilikum17 View Post
Ditto.
ditto ditto

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image