Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

16-10-2019, 00:19   #8986
Makikomi

Send a message via MSN to Makikomi
Myself and Richo (my dog and best friend) took a hike up Howth this evening and sat at the summit (near the Bog of Frogs) and read a few pages from this little beauty

I keep it in my backpack protected with a waterproof cover and take it out when I need some time away from life's arseholes

I kept the depth of field pretty tight here, hence the blurring but that's looking north over Portmarnock/Velvet Strand

Attached Images
File Type: jpg richo4.jpg (48.6 KB, 535 views)
Advertisement
17-10-2019, 16:54   #8987
eisenberg1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makikomi View Post
Myself and Richo (my dog and best friend) took a hike up Howth this evening and sat at the summit (near the Bog of Frogs) and read a few pages from this little beauty

I keep it in my backpack protected with a waterproof cover and take it out when I need some time away from life's arseholes

I kept the depth of field pretty tight here, hence the blurring but that's looking north over Portmarnock/Velvet Strand

I had the pleasure of seeing him in The Point/3 arena (or whatever it’s called these days) a few years back, best gig I was ever at....absolutely brilliant, and gent with it.

I’ll put that on my list,
(2) thanks from:
17-10-2019, 17:52   #8988
ellejay

Quote:
Originally Posted by appledrop View Post
One of the best books I read last year. It was a real surprise. Its amazing how she portrays the mind of someone with a mental illness. Outstanding.

I wouldn't class it as chick lit. I thought it might be + nearly passed it by. Glad I didn't!
Would you have a recommendation of something similar?
17-10-2019, 23:06   #8989
Makikomi

Send a message via MSN to Makikomi
Quote:
Originally Posted by eisenberg1 View Post
I had the pleasure of seeing him in The Point/3 arena (or whatever it’s called these days) a few years back, best gig I was ever at....absolutely brilliant, and gent with it.

I’ll put that on my list,
I just think its a beautiful book to carry in my day sack for times when I just want to sit and take in life, read a page or two, take a breath and just be at peace.

Worth having IMO.
Thanks from:
18-10-2019, 12:44   #8990
gutenberg

Reading The Common Freedom of the People, a biography of the 17th-century figure John Lilburne, probably best known as one of the leaders of the 'Leveller' movement during the British Civil Wars. He was constantly getting into trouble, but many of his positions, including the idea of the right to remain silent, as well as the right not to self-incriminate, have been very influential in subsequent centuries. It's partly a read for work, partly for pleasure.
Advertisement
19-10-2019, 17:02   #8991
Nigel Fairservice

I started Gotta Get Theroux This by Louis Theroux. I can't help but hear his voice when I'm reading it
Thanks from:
20-10-2019, 17:11   #8992
bluewolf
Category Moderator

Fantasy novel called the poppy wars. Excellent read.
Latest pullman one now
(2) thanks from:
20-10-2019, 18:24   #8993
Buford T. Justice VI

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewolf View Post
Fantasy novel called the poppy wars. Excellent read.
Latest pullman one now
Halfway through the Poppy Wars atm, it's an interesting read.
Thanks from:
20-10-2019, 18:50   #8994
Neames

Just a few chapters into Jo Nesbo's The Thirst.

Very promising thriller.
Advertisement
24-10-2019, 23:30   #8995
Carry

Im reading 2 books currently, alternately of course, one a novel, the other a more academic non-fiction book.

Non-fiction: Five Irish Women - the second republic 1960-2016, by Emer Nolan.
I just started it and it's quite fascinating, it sets Edna O'Brian, Sinead O'Connor, Bernadette McAliskey, Nuala O'Faolin and Anne Enright into the social, cultural and political context of their time and place. It's not a portrait of their lives and works as such, more a reflection about what they represent in a certain era and atmosphere of Irish history.
The book is insanely expensive to buy, but it's available in libraries (gosh, I love Irish libraries).

Novel:The Beekeeper of Aleppo, by Christy Lefteri.
A beautifully written novel about the plight of Syrian refugees, their lives at home and how it was destroyed, their dehumanisation while trying to escape death and their despair and hope to survive.
The writer used to work in a Greek refugee camp and knows what she is writing about. But still she is not moralising. She created a touching, humane story that keeps you gripped and on a deep level hopeful that us Western people could see these people as desperate human beings, not a mass of unwanted foreigners. Highly recommended.
(2) thanks from:
24-10-2019, 23:32   #8996
ArchXStanton

Banco by Henri Chatriere
25-10-2019, 00:27   #8997
The Princess Bride

Bruised, never broken, Phil Coulter's autobiography.
Promising so far.
25-10-2019, 10:43   #8998
eisenberg1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchXStanton View Post
Banco by Henri Chatriere
The follow up to Papillon, read it years ago. Let us know what you think when you are finished.
Thanks from:
25-10-2019, 11:57   #8999
nigeldaniel

I am on Bill Bryson's 'A Walk in the Woods'
(5) thanks from:
25-10-2019, 14:04   #9000
Candie

I loved A Walk In The Woods, I like Brysons easy going style.

I'm reading Anne Rice 'Interview With A Vampire'. I've never read it, or intended to read it, but a copy fell into my hands while I was waiting for an appointment and it drew me in. A good yarn, well told.
(4) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion