Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Electric heating vs open fire

Options
  • 17-10-2019 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

We live in a rented 4 bed house with oil fired heating and open fire.
    Instead of lighting fire I was thinking of getting an oil filled electric radiator or similar. I'm wondering what the cost difference will be as 40kg bags of cosy glow nuggets now cost €20 and only last maybe 4-5 days. How expensive is it to run an electric alternative?
    We've asked land lord previously about fitting a stove or similar but he wasn't keen, said he'd pay half. The house is 10-15 yrs old. Insulation? What insulation! It's terrible. When sitting in living room you can feel the cold air being drawn through whole house and up the chimney.
    I could block the chimney somehow.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭serox_21

buy one of this for blocking the chimney.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭headtheball14

I found the balloon useless but I got a chimney sheep and find it great. https://www.chimneysheep.co.uk/
    I had draughts coming straight down from upstairs with all my hot air going out the chimney until I got it.
    Also I got fleece lined curtains on done deal, made a massive difference along with 60 quid on insulation for attic

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

There was a open fire insert in Irish dragons den. Kept a lot more heat in room than going up chimney. Might be worth checking out ...

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

Thanks for the replies. What about cost wise, is an electric heater such as the oil filled portable radiators cheaper than an open fire?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭blackbox

Your oil fired heating should be cheaper than either of those, and give more comfort.

Whether using oil or electric, you still need to stop all the heat going uo the chimney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Accidentally

An old pillow or cushion will do the same job for free

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

An old pillow or cushion will do the same job for free

This is what I did to our chimney, you noticed the difference almost immediately.

Why are you not using the Oil Central Heating?

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

K.Flyer wrote: »
    This is what I did to our chimney, you noticed the difference almost immediately.

Why are you not using the Oil Central Heating?

We could, but I was under the impression that having the oil heating on, heating whole house would be expensive. Bags of coal/nuggets are €20 now and only last maybe 5 days.
    I suppose I could fill up a drum of oil once a week for around €25 Euro instead of buying coal. Just trying to cut costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭ercork

We could, but I was under the impression that having the oil heating on, heating whole house would be expensive. Bags of coal/nuggets are €20 now and only last maybe 5 days.
    I suppose I could fill up a drum of oil once a week for around €25 Euro instead of buying coal. Just trying to cut costs.

The SEAI have done some good work comparing the costs of the different heating systems - see p2 in the link below. Oil is one of the more competitive options regarding costs. Do you have the ability to zone it - to just heat one floor at a time?

https://www.seai.ie/publications/Domestic-Fuel-Cost-Comparison.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭stockshares

I found the balloon useless but I got a chimney sheep and find it great. https://www.chimneysheep.co.uk/
    I had draughts coming straight down from upstairs with all my hot air going out the chimney until I got it.
    Also I got fleece lined curtains on done deal, made a massive difference along with 60 quid on insulation for attic

We have the same problem but we have Gas heating with a wrap around boiler.
    I think you're not allowed to block off the chimney if you have Gas heating and a wrap around boiler but I'm not sure.

Once we turn off the heating the heat escapes up the chimney and the room is cold an hour later.

We were thinking of getting an Electric Fire Insert to take the bare look off of the fireplace but if the open chimney is the main problem there is not much point.

The stove might s better option if we're allowed block off the chimney.

If anyone knows if a chimney can be blocked off while using gas and a wrap around boiler please let me know.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Is your gas boiler located in the Fireplace?

Sorry, my mistake.

The Gas Boiler is in the Kitchen.

The wrap around boiler was used previously to heat the radiators and water but it's disconnected now.

I've blocked the chimney with a cushion, so the options now are to either get a fuel burning stove or an electric heater.

Sorry, my mistake.

The Gas Boiler is in the Kitchen.

The wrap around boiler was used previously to heat the radiators and water but it's disconnected now.

I've blocked the chimney with a cushion, so the options now are to either get a fuel burning stove or an electric heater.

http://ecograte.ie

This is what I meant op ...stop all the draughts you can !

Idbatterim wrote: »
    http://ecograte.ie

This is what I meant op ...stop all the draughts you can !

Was looking through their site just now.
    It looks a good product but it's costly although they say it pays for itself after 8 months.

In the Customer Tips section it says this
    "Down Draughts
    If your chimney has an existing down draught problem please consult with a HETAS approved chimney sweep. Having an “H” cowl fitted on the chimney might solve this problem."

Have you had a H cowl fitted? I've never heard of these before.

You mention the property is heated by oil. If you block the chimney, why do you then need an electric rad?

Idbatterim wrote: »
    You mention the property is heated by oil. If you block the chimney, why do you then need an electric rad?

I presume your talking to me and not the OP.

I made a mistake in my first post. We have Gas Heating but our old system was a wrap around boiler.

Advertisement