Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

08-09-2019, 21:45   #1
edwardkiley

Disability allowance appeal process

hello

I am considering make an application for the disability allowance. I have read that its likely to get refused and I would have to appeal the refusal.
I was just wondering if someone could explain the appeals process to me?
Do you have to go in for an interview into the social welfare office if you appeal?
Is there an oral healing?
Advertisement
09-09-2019, 04:59   #2
splinter65

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardkiley View Post
hello

I am considering make an application for the disability allowance. I have read that its likely to get refused and I would have to appeal the refusal.
I was just wondering if someone could explain the appeals process to me?
Do you have to go in for an interview into the social welfare office if you appeal?
Is there an oral healing?
Apply for DA. Fill up the application form. Supply them with all the evidence from your doctors of why you are unavailable for work through bad health. Write a letter from yourself explaining why you are too sick for work.
Send them all your financial details.
Wait and see if you get it.
If you don’t get it then you can appeal it.
But you can’t go straight to the appeals process.
09-09-2019, 08:01   #3
edwardkiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by splinter65 View Post
Apply for DA. Fill up the application form. Supply them with all the evidence from your doctors of why you are unavailable for work through bad health. Write a letter from yourself explaining why you are too sick for work.
Send them all your financial details.
Wait and see if you get it.
If you don’t get it then you can appeal it.
But you can’t go straight to the appeals process.
I understand you cant appeal straight away but from looking at others experience it seems highly likely it will get refused and I will have to appeal.
I was just wondering when you appeal do you have to go in for an interview or oral hearing?
09-09-2019, 14:23   #4
splinter65

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardkiley View Post
I understand you cant appeal straight away but from looking at others experience it seems highly likely it will get refused and I will have to appeal.
I was just wondering when you appeal do you have to go in for an interview or oral hearing?
If you do have to appeal then you will have the option to request an oral hearing. But you mightn’t be granted an oral hearing and your certainly not obliged to go to one.
There won’t be any point in appealing a refusal unless you have new evidence to produce that you didn’t produce in your application.
It’s not a question of you applying and then refusing and you just sending the same evidence again and them then giving it to you just because you asked.
That’s not how it works.
Make a good through application now and if you are entitled to it you’ll get it.
Thanks from:
10-09-2019, 12:41   #5
Lau2976

Quote:
There won’t be any point in appealing a refusal unless you have new evidence to produce that you didn’t produce in your application.
It’s not a question of you applying and then refusing and you just sending the same evidence again and them then giving it to you just because you asked.
That’s not how it works.
Make a good through application now and if you are entitled to it you’ll get it.
I would agree to an extent but I helped with the application for someone I’m helping to care for. We did not provide new evidence but they were awarded it on appeal.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
18-09-2019, 23:54   #6
SteelyDanJalapeno

Quote:
If you do have to appeal then you will have the option to request an oral hearing. But you mightn’t be granted an oral hearing and your certainly not obliged to go to one.
That’s not how it works.
Not the case, I've helped someone successfully appeal with no new evidence.
19-09-2019, 10:30   #7

Quote:
That’s not how it works.
Not quite true. The main advantage of the appeal process is that one can request a personal hearing in front of an independent assessor who isn't simply dealing with a paper file, but who can see and hear and question and thus carry out a wider and fuller assessment of the applicant than is possible with a desk-based assessment. Of course, that process swings both ways, so the appeal process will also lead to spoofers being unsuccessful with their appeals.
19-09-2019, 11:49   #8
Pretzill

OP if you need DA apply. Worry about appealing only if its unsuccessful, don't put yourself through that worry yet...there are so many delays in the system the application process and wait is stressful enough. If you want to find out more about appeals the Social Welfare Appeals Office is and independent body and their website has case studies of previous successful/unsuccessful appeals.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion