Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Glass Verandas ?

• 29-11-2016 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I was at a gardening show and got a catalogue by a company called -snip-
    They are selling these aluminium Verandas with glass on top.
    Did one of you got something like this allready at home and could tell me something more?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,853 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Sorry for bumping this up, clearly Celtic Tiger 2 is back!

Looking at a glass veranda with composite decking.

Recommendations much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭golfman

anewme wrote: »
    Sorry for bumping this up, clearly Celtic Tiger 2 is back!

Looking at a glass veranda with composite decking.

Recommendations much appreciated.

I’ve just contacted them for a quote. Get the feeling it is going to be pricey.

golfman wrote: »
    I’ve just contacted them for a quote. Get the feeling it is going to be pricey.

The composite decking was 175 per sq m

Thanks, I'm paving the floor so won't need that element of it. I'll feed back when they get back to me.

What size are you going for.

I think they are lovely.

• Advertisement

I've asked for a quote for 9m x 6m . However, I'm doing so with the expectation that budget will greatly reduce the size I can afford/willing to part with.

Just bumping this up. Just wondering did you go ahead with this? Or has anyone done anything similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Tizzy Dongue

anewme wrote: »
    Just bumping this up. Just wondering did you go ahead with this? Or has anyone done anything similar?

Looking to have similar done myself. Composite decking with aluminum patio cover. Any recommendations?

Sorry for bumping up an old post - but I am still interested in getting one of these and will do so this Summer. They have come down (slightly) in price as there are now more competitors in the market. They are becoming popular in the market.

One of the options is to get a Veranda that is closed in - sliding glass panels - would this not just be like an old style conservatory - boiling in Summer and freezing in Winter.

Has anyone got a Veranda with or without sides and doors that they can recommend.

Also, if I get the open one (just a roof covering - will I be able to put outdoor furniture (the cushions there?)

What I have noticed is there is am absolutel massive! mark up on these for supply and fit - when they come as kits for those gifted at a trade or diy (which I am not).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭Shoog

We are planning on getting one. I priced up with a company in the North who do a sliding walled Glass veranda with polycarbonate roof. They have quoted £12K for a 3Mx4M job. The patio needs to be in place already and to build a patio on scewpiles is going to cost around £2K. If you need to lay a concrete patio first then I would add another £4-6K to the price depending on the ground you are on.

The thing with a sliding door one is that they can be virtually open in the summer so the overheating issue should be minimal. You can also add an awning for the really hot days to create shade.

Our plan is to use them to preheat the whole house ventilation system such that for much of the year we should need no heating at all.

• Advertisement

Thanks a lot!

I am looking at glass roof and size 4m wide by 3.5m deep (it is the same price for 4x4, it just wont fit in my garden.

Im strongly thinking of just getting the open one. The one I am looking at has the option of adding the sliding doors and sides later.

The price for a 4m x 4 m with glass and sides (and I think patio but cant confirm) was coming in at 20K.

I don't need patio as I have a sandstone patio and it will work off that.

I was only planning the open one, but am now wondering if it is better to get the "room" but my garden is very hot.

Would the furniture get "damp" if I just got the open one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭Shoog

It would have to be patio grade furniture to be safe. i wouldn't put anything that cant get soaked in such a structure.

Advertisement