Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

pound shop goods

• 17-09-2016 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭

I bought an 8 pack of AA batteries from one recently and they haven't been the best to use, unreliable . I'm not totally surprised, I half expected them to be gash. I've been told that buying from the pound shop is false economy. And I'd agree to an extent.

In some cases I'd rather pay more for quality. But if you're looking for cheaper things like sweets, snacks
    and confectionery than you're better off going there than supermarkets.

Do you buy much from pound shops?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Their HD leads are as good as the €25 gold plated brands from the more upmarket shops.

HD leads work or they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

I go a bit ape**** for their Christmas decorations. Very tacky stuff, but the kids love them so I can't complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Bought a few USB car chargers in them and they blew car fuses and stopped working / fell apart .

Bought pliers and screwdrivers in there and they useless too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I get heat pads from them when I get a sore back. They're an extortionate price from chemists or supermarkets and I don't notice a difference with the ones from the pound shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Condoms, then I got aids, they were a Euro as well. But the batteries cost extra

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Dawn Rider

Bought a few USB car chargers in them and they blew car fuses and stopped working / fell apart .

Bought pliers and screwdrivers in there and they useless too

The small pliers are horrible to work with but as they have such a rough finish they make great car relay/fuse pullers.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,149 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

We were driven mad with phone chargers cables braking. We were buying expensive ones and they kept on braking Then one day we said we'd try one from Dealz and they're great.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

A lot of the guff you get in pound shops are the exact same cheap Chinese low quality products you can order online. Just packaged tho.

Some things fall apart while other things work perfectly fine. You just got to try different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Their packs of Sandpaper make a cheaper alternative to branded toilet paper.

Possibly.

Not worth a fcuk as sandpaper anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭mojesius

Why shop anywhere else? 4 big cans of Heinz beans for 2 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mojesius wrote: »
    Why shop anywhere else? 4 big cans of Heinz beans for 2 euro.

Because you might not be buying beans. I rarely go shopping with the list reading "anything for €2"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

Pregnancy tests are my number one buy from dealz/pound shops. You're either pregnant or you're not, and the more expensive tests might tell you a few days before but they cost crazy money in comparison.

When I was trying for a baby last year I took a test every day, and the pound shop ones showed up pregnant 13 days after we had the sexytime. Thats pretty f*cking great! I'll never spend €10 on a test again when I can buy 2 for €1.50!

You can actually buy a dildo in Dealz for 1.50.
    It's called "bullet" and no, I am not joking and also no I didnt buy one :pac:

That's not a dildo, it's a vibrator....big difference :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Branded sweets and vanilla coke, 3 cans for 1.50 its great.

PandaPoo wrote: »
    That's not a dildo, it's a vibrator....big difference :cool:

Well you're the expert....

sorry had to :pac:

PandaPoo wrote: »
    Pregnancy tests are my number one buy from dealz/pound shops. You're either pregnant or you're not, and the more expensive tests might tell you a few days before but they cost crazy money in comparison.

When I was trying for a baby last year I took a test every day, and the pound shop ones showed up pregnant 13 days after we had the sexytime. Thats pretty f*cking great! I'll never spend €10 on a test again when I can buy 2 for €1.50!

Were you that appalled at having the sexytime with him that you wanted to know as soon as so you could cut that crap out?:)

Are they rewrapped returned unsold stuff like the cd's and dvds? Maybe demo models from shops? :D

Well you're the expert....

sorry had to :pac:

:pac:
    Were you that appalled at having the sexytime with him that you wanted to know as soon as so you could cut that crap out?:)

Its no coincidence I know so much about dildos and vibrators!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

The electronics are definitely false economy. Thought it was great getting my replacement earphones for 2 quid instead of the usual 25 euro apple ones. But they lasted at most 10 or so goes before one of the sides stopped working, shortly after that then the second one failed! The apple ones are ****e too though, Im not the most gentle with them but they last me at most 6-8 months before they start to break!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Love the pound shops as I can get stuff from the UK that no other chain in Ireland sells (except Iceland).

Wheat Crunchies are the best and most healthy crisps out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

PandaPoo wrote:

Thinly veiled "I'm getting some" post :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

At the Mr. Price grand opening in my hometown, two ladies pucked the head off each other for a golden ticket.
    Some folks go mental for a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

At the Mr. Price grand opening in my hometown, two ladies pucked the head off each other for a golden ticket.
    Some folks go mental for a bargain.

Letterkenny? Only ever been in the one in Galway before that and the Lk one is such a difference. Love Mr Price - can get some great bargains there but some of the food stuffs can be close to BBE date....the reason they can sell them so cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Robsweezie wrote: »
    I bought an 8 pack of AA batteries from one recently and they haven't been the best to use, unreliable . I'm not totally surprised, I half expected them to be gash. I've been told that buying from the pound shop is false economy. And I'd agree to an extent.

In some cases I'd rather pay more for quality. But if you're looking for cheaper things like sweets, snacks
    and confectionery than you're better off going there than supermarkets.

Do you buy much from pound shops?

The Dealz FusioMax Endurance batteries are so much better than the the rest of the cheap AA/AAA you get. Mind you, it's only 4 in a pack rather than 8 or 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

I bought a big tub of hair gel there before. It was light blue and reminded me of the one my barber used to use, so I thought I was getting a very decent investment. I come home, screw the top off, peel back the silver thing and there's a layer of fur on the top. It was either throw it out or use it as a fleshlight from the 70s, so I threw it out.

If everybody returned faulty/expired/furry items then they'd probably go out of business, but quite a lot of people are embarrassed to get a refund on their €1.49 purchase so they move on. Anyhow, I agree with the OP. Dealz is fantastic for a six pack of bacon fries, or Thorton's toffees, but anything else and there's a strong chance you'll be disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

I bought a phone charger for the car about 2 years back, one of the fag lighter ones and it still does the job.

90% of the stuff you get for €2 is gone within the month.

FanadMan wrote: »
    Letterkenny? Only ever been in the one in Galway before that and the Lk one is such a difference. Love Mr Price - can get some great bargains there but some of the food stuffs can be close to BBE date....the reason they can sell them so cheap.

Who cares about best before dates? It's not like they sell meat!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Their HD leads are as good as the €25 gold plated brands from the more upmarket shops.

HD leads work or they don't.
    Nah, better off going to PC World / Dixons and spending €99 on discounted cables. Because they are cheaper than $13,500 ones.

If you are thinking about spending lots on a long cable , just buy a chromecast or similar.

Gold plated is a complete joke, copper is a better conductor, and gold plating is so cheap even pound shop cables are gold plated :rolleyes:
    Also the golden rule is not to mix metals. Gold plated cables should only ever be used with gold plated equipment. And so far on consumer equipment I've only seen it on some GHz RF connectors.

There's two types of copper. Oxygen free and the harder stuff they use for plumbing.

Advertisement