Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Citizens' Assembly on gender equality only going to focus on helping women, it seems

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

What were you expecting ? A genuine focus on genuine equality ?

What a surprise not, from an undemocratic unelected so called "citizens" assembly, secretly chosen by a commercial company.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭iptba

Public Consultation Questionnaire
    Citizens’ Assembly on Gender Equality
    https://www.citizensassembly.ie/en/what-we-do/public-consultation/
    Closing date

The consultation is open until Friday 6 March 2020. It will not be possible to access the online questionnaire after this time. Please note that submissions received after this date will not be considered.

Men’s groups have felt excluded from the “gender equality” debate, and are “delighted” to have been invited to the Citizens’ Assembly on the issue, according to its chairwoman.

Dr Catherine Day, former secretary general of the European Commission, said men want to be part of the discussion on equality between the sexes, including the pay-gap, care responsibilities, the under-representation of women in politics and poverty among lone-parent families.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/men-delighted-to-be-invited-to-citizens-assembly-on-gender-equality-1.4150491

As set out in the Oireachtas resolution, the Assembly has been asked to advance gender equality by bringing forward proposals that:

- challenge the remaining barriers and social norms and attitudes that facilitate gender discrimination towards girls and boys, women and men;

- identify and dismantle economic and salary norms that result in gender inequalities, and reassess the economic value placed on work traditionally held by women;

- in particular, seek to ensure women’s full and effective participation and equal opportunities for leadership at all levels of decision-making in the workplace, politics and public life;

- recognise the importance of early years parental care and seek to facilitate greater work-life balance;

- examine the social responsibility of care and women and men’s co responsibility for care, especially within the family; and

- scrutinise the structural pay inequalities that result in women being disproportionately represented in low pay sectors.

Following on from the above, to prioritise the proposals, which may include policy, legislative or constitutional change, having regard to the legal requirements and the costs versus the potential impact.
    https://www.citizensassembly.ie/en/what-we-do/public-consultation/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

There are quite a lot of people who depend on certain issues existing in society forr their livelihood. Creating the perception that certain problems exist is a reason their career exists. As such, having done some reading on one of the reviewers of the responses to the consultation, Dr Pauline Cullen of NUI Maynooth, she is archetypal to the point that people may have a vested interest (their job) in telling a particular narrative. Avoiding apathy to this consultation is the way to starve the one way narrative of its oxygen and ensure that bias can be called out down the line, should it need to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

How were people selected for the citizens assembly and are they truly representative of all the people in The country?

How did they decide what issues they were going to discuss and is there a hidden agenda within the citizens assembly, from what I have observed (some what limited) it appears to be an echo chamber with alot of group think going on and little to no dissenting voices on the issues being discussed. I'm open to correction but from the outside looking in the outcome seems to be pre determined on the issues discussed.

Would like to hear other peoples opinions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Random selection.

Is it random though?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,143 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Yes and no. I was approached by a fellow member of a sporting club I'm involved in who was hired to recruit people for the Citizens’ Assembly a few years ago (she works in marketing research so recruiting panels based on demographic profiles is pretty much her job). The thing that struck me most about (and the reason I didn't pursue it further) was the time commitment required. IIRC, you needed to be available for three or four months worth of Saturdays or something like that: a huge commitment for anyone with a young family and something that, IMHO, ensures that you're mainly going to see those with an extremely strong interest in the topics being discussed being prepared to commit to.

I did hear rumours (from the same lady who I got to know better after this approach when she recruited me for a few paid marketing research panels) that other recruiters had been caught breaching the rules they'd been given for recruiting people and attempting to fill the targets they'd been set with members of their extended families etc. It seemed more like they were just trying to hit their targets rather than load the panel with a particular viewpoint though, and in any case, they were caught.

So, while the people asked if they're interested in participating are randomly selected, those that accept and move forward to the vetting are unlikely to be a truly random selection imo because they're self-selecting and the time commitment involved would favour those who don't work weekends, are past their child-rearing years or who will place everything else in their life on hold in order to have their say on an issue of particular importance to them (e.g. gay marriage, abortion, gender politics etc.)

TBH, I'm hesitant to even post on this thread as the last time I commented on it on-line, I ended up getting hounded by a religious journalist who appeared to be seeking a means of questioning the legitimacy of the Assembly in order to sway opinion on the 8th Amendment. Needless to say, I didn't respond to them, though I did consider legal action when they contacted my place of work in their attempts to get me to provide them with the story they were looking for.

Thanks for the reply, I don't think it is representative of the general public, but, at least from what you've said they don't appear to be targeting certain groups, although this could be easily done at the vetting stage.
    I haven't followed it too closely to be honest, but, from what I've seen it appears to be a bit of an echo chamber and the outcome seems to be pre-determined, which kinda makes me wonder who would be driving this agenda if that's the case?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Sorry Mod's I hadn't seen this earlier thread before I opened mine a couple of days ago.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058054485/1/#post112557224

The questionaire is horse sh1t don't bother filling it in.... send a free-hand response instead perhaps questioning the validity of this Citizens Assembly or hi-lighting some other topics that they might have deemed worthy to be discussed at a "Gender Equality" in Ireland discussion.

for example some of the areas in Irish society where boys/men/males have to deal with massive gender inequality

Legal outcomes
    Health outcomes
    Educational opportunities
    Access to Accomodation
    Media representation.

If enough responses make these points, then just maybe they simply cannot ignore them.

No gender parity in Dáil ‘until 2063’ at current rate of progress
    Citizens’ Assembly also told of problems caused by gender imbalance in media

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/no-gender-parity-in-d%C3%A1il-until-2063-at-current-rate-of-progress-1.4384216
    The assembly also heard calls for the introduction of gender quotas in the media, academia and at board levels in commercial and State organisations, as well as for the extension of political quotas from general elections to local and Seanad elections.
    Men’s Voices, which argued that there should be a men’s equivalent of the National Women’s Council, and the Stop Segregation of Men also made submissions.

iptba wrote: »
    The members of the assembly also heard from the Australian group Male Champions of Change, which campaigns for equality between men and women.

Its founder said it was established because “men seem to be missing from the picture” in relation to the issue of gender equality.

“If we want to work with power, we have to work with those who have power – and that is men – to take the message of gender equality to other men.”
    https://malechampionsofchange.com/our-team/
    17 out of the 20 employees of this supposedly male group are female. The other 3 have male names but one of those 3 looks like they could be non-binary or a transsexual male?

I can imagine that lots of people would see this is unacceptable if the genders were reversed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Just more of the disintegration of society.

There is no good reason for the Dáil to be engineered to make it 50/50.

Equal opportunity. That is all.

I don't see anyone pushing 50/50 representation in the education of our primary school children

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

17 out of the 20 employees of this supposedly male group are female. The other 3 have male names but one of those 3 looks like they could be non-binary?

I can imagine that lots of people would see this is unacceptable if the genders were reversed.

I doubt Reuben James there has a Y chromosome

The members of the assembly also heard from the Australian group Male Champions of Change, which campaigns for equality between men and women.

Its founder said it was established because “men seem to be missing from the picture” in relation to the issue of gender equality.

“If we want to work with power, we have to work with those who have power – and that is men – to take the message of gender equality to other men.”

17 out of the 20 employees of this supposedly male group are female. The other 3 have male names but one of those 3 looks like they could be non-binary or a transsexual male?

https://malechampionsofchange.com/community-2/
    Partners
    Our partners and advisors include the following organisations:

Chief Executive Women
    Office of the Sex Discrimination Commissioner, Australian Human Rights Commission
    Workplace Gender Equality Agency
    Women’s Leadership Institute Australia
    UN Women
    UN Global Compact Women’s Empowerment Principles
    Catalyst
    AccelerateHER

Another angle here is that we know something like this ends up affecting women disproportionately, just as the global recession did during the last decade.
    I'm not convinced.
    For example, men are at a greater risk of dying from Covid than women.

Also, men who lose their jobs are more likely to end up believing long-term relationship, such as marriages than women:
    Unemployment Can Spell Divorce for Men, But Not Women
    https://www.livescience.com/14705-husbands-employment-threatens-marriage.html
    I remember a commentator called to last recession a mancession as men more than women lost jobs in Ireland.

And conversely, men probably find their attractiveness as a long-term partner is more affected if they don't have a job.
    How timely then that last weekend the Citizens’ Assembly on Gender Equality met for the first time online. The topic for discussion was ‘Women in Leadership’.

I was delighted to see that the suggestion of quotas for women was being thrown around like snuff at a wake — because this is truly the only way that women will break those barriers in sufficient numbers.
    The article continues about more details from the Citizens' Assembly:
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/arid-40069457.html

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mr Meanor

I think most of those Australian agencies have come under the offical and public spotlight in recent years.
    And not in the good way!

Revisit gender pay gap legislation ‘as a priority’, Citizens’ Assembly told
    Lack of transparency on gender focused data a ‘significant barrier’ to removing pay inequality

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/revisit-gender-pay-gap-legislation-as-a-priority-citizens-assembly-told-1.4409708

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I demand equal female representation in working in the sewage, the bins, and collecting rubbish on our streets :pac:

=-=

I assume "The Gender Pay Gap Information Bill" will solely look at how much man gets compared to women, and ignore stats such as experience and/or certification?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,143 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Honestly I'll be surprised if it even accounts for hours worked...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/no-gender-parity-in-d%C3%A1il-until-2063-at-current-rate-of-progress-1.4384216

"In her submission to the assembly on Saturday, Dr Galligan argued that quotas for general elections should be increased from 30 per cent to 50 per cent for both local and general elections."

Whatever the merits of gender quotas, this is essentially impossible to do. The quotas are gender neutral, so in order to have 50% representation, every party would be required to run an even number of candidates nationally, with the exact same number of women and men featured.

Beggars belief that someone would think that a reasonable suggestion.

Women ‘left in poverty’ due to welfare system built around ‘male breadwinner’
    Citizens’ Assembly hears some laws around work ‘bear the stamp of yesterday’s Ireland’
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/women-left-in-poverty-due-to-welfare-system-built-around-male-breadwinner-1.4428816
    The alternative was a culture where care responsibilities for children or elderly relatives were more evenly balanced between both partners in a household, she said.

This would mean moves towards better recognition of part-time work in the labour market, to allow “both adults work less than full-time, and both adults share care more equally,” she said.
    My impression is that there are plenty of women who would be unhappy if their partners worked less than full-time.

Calls for single authority to deal with gender-based violence
    Updated / Saturday, 13 Mar 2021 16:50
    https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2021/0313/1203813-citizens-assembly/
    The Citizens' Assembly has heard a number of submissions to address what has been described as an epidemic of gender-based violence.

Among them were calls for a single authority to deal with gender-based violence, a victims' commissioner and a government minister to oversee policy in this area.
    My impression is "gender-based violence" tends to be used with regard to male-on-female violence*.

*including abuse in the domestic setting that isn't physical.

Alison O'Connor: Restrictions? Let's begin by lifting one that has solely targeted women
    Article 42.1 does not confine women to their homes, but it has certainly contributed to denying our agency and autonomy

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/arid-40272668.html

There may be some people who are supportive of this clause, but I'm not sure it's men more than women.

I also heard it said it can help women and put men at a disadvantage in matters relating to family law.
    Tomorrow we will be told the result of 80 votes. As well as the domestic expectations of women, among the other ballots were the extension of gender quotas in elections, such as local elections, and looking at increasing financial penalties for parties who fail to meet the targets.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/arid-40272668.html

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

Irish Times today reporting that Citizen's Assembly votes to delete the constitutional clause on woman's place in the home.

"The 99 members of the assembly on gender equality voted for a radical programme of reform which could see gender quotas in all elections and across public and private bodies, extra supports for carers and a new clause in the constitution recognising all forms of families in the Constitution, not only families based on marriage.

Assembly chair Dr Catherine Day said the citizens had not called for “incremental change” but for “big changes that can make Ireland a better and more gender equal place to live for all of us.”

That particular clause seems archaic. I'm not against its removal. The next part of the article:

"The citizens recommended that by the end of 2022 gender quotas should be extended for party candidates to local, Seanad and European elections...

Similarly, gender quota legislation should require private companies to have at least 40 per cent gender balance on their boards."

How can removing such a clause have the consequence of introducing strict gender quotas? How would this be achievable for make up of the Oireachtas and boards of companies? Why not elect and appoint on the basis of competence and suitability?

I hope there will be politicians and business representative bodies speaking out on this.

This Twitter thread seems to summarise the main recommendations:
    https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1385904032196214786?s=21

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1385904043625697281?s=21
    When I see recommendations like this (the third one), I lose faith in the process and the people who voted.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭purifol0

The citizens assembly was originally a cop out for politicians who reaaaaaalllly didnt want to have the abortion debate. Might have had to have an opinion about something that wouldnt help them at the polls y'see. So we got this affront to democracy instead.

It should be ****canned. It is worse than the Seanad, less transparent, 100% undemocratic.

Who the **** are these people anyway
    https://www.citizensassembly.ie/en/what-we-do/about-the-members/member-names-for-website-january.pdf

• Advertisement

https://www.citizensassembly.ie/en/news-publications/press-releases/recommendations-of-the-citizens-assembly-on-gender-equality.html
    Recommendations of the Citizens' Assembly on Gender Equality

Today (Saturday 24th April) the results of the deliberations of the Citizens’ Assembly on Gender Equality (the Assembly) were announced. The Assembly has agreed 45 priority recommendations covering a wide range of areas set out in its Oireachtas mandate. These include recommendations on the Constitution, Politics and Leadership, caregiving and childcare, Domestic, Sexual and Gender Based violence, Pay and the Workplace and Social Protection.

Speaking at the announcement of the results, the Chair of the Assembly Catherine Day said:

“Everyone has their own personal experience of gender equality – or inequality. The members of the Assembly considered factual information and different perspectives on a broad range of topics related to gender equality and then developed and voted on its priority recommendations.

The recommendations the citizens agreed don’t just call for incremental change. They call for big changes that can make Ireland a better and more gender equal place to live for all of us. They call for change in our Constitution, for new laws and policies and for stronger enforcement.

The recommendations we are presenting today come out of more than a year’s hard work and informed consideration by the members. I want to pay tribute to our committed citizens who have given their time to the important issue of gender equality over the last number of months. They now urge the Oireachtas to match their commitment by accepting their recommendations and implementing them without delay to deliver gender equality for Ireland.”

Some of the key recommendations include:

On the constitution:

Insert a new clause into Article 40 to refer explicitly to gender equality and non-discrimination.
    Delete and replace the text of Article 41.2 (woman in the home) with language that is not gender specific and obliges the State to take reasonable measures to support care within the home and wider community.
    Amend Article 41 so that it would protect private and family life, with the protection afforded to the family not limited to the marital family
    On leadership & politics:

Introduce maternity leave for all elected representatives.
    By the end of 2022 extend gender quotas for party candidates to local, Seanad and European Elections, increase penalties for parties that don’t meet the quota and increase the threshold from 30% to 40% for both women and men.
    Make funding to public bodies contingent on reaching a 40% gender balance quota by 2025.
    Enact gender quota legislation that requires private companies to have at least 40% gender balance on their boards.
    Make public funding to cultural, sports, arts and media organisations contingent on a quota of 30% representation of women, and of men, on their Governing bodies by 2025 and 40% by 2030.
    On Childcare

Move to a publicly funded, accessible and regulated model of childcare over the next decade.
    Increase the State share of GDP spent on childcare, from the current 0.37% of GDP to at least 1% by no later than 2030.
    Paid leave for parents should cover the first year of a child’s life, be non-transferable, provide lone parents with the same total leave period as a couple and be incentivised by increasing payment levels to encourage increased take up.
    On care

Improve terms and conditions for those in paid employment as carers, including access to pensions.
    Ensure choice in care and independence for older persons and persons with disabilities.
    Changes to Carers Allowance, respite and pensions for family carers.
    On domestic, sexual and gender based violence:

Cover gender power dynamics, consent and domestic, sexual and gender-based violence within the revised Relationships and Sexuality curriculum.
    Develop guidelines and specialist training for judges and lawyers regarding the treatment of victims/survivors, including the exclusion of the consideration of sexual history, character, attire and counselling/medical records.
    Appoint a Victims/Survivors Commissioner as an independent advocate and voice for victims/survivors.
    On pay and social protection

Increase the minimum wage to align it with the living wage by 2025
    Set targets in legislation to reduce the hourly gender pay gap to 9% by 2025 and to 4% by 2030 with a view to eliminating it by 2035.
    Adopt a fully individualised social protection system to reflect the diversity of today’s lives and to promote an equal division of paid work and care.
    On technology and the media

Hold technology and social media companies accountable for immediately removing online content that constitutes sexual harassment, bullying, stalking, sexually violent or abusive content
    Make special efforts to improve the visibility of men performing caring roles.
    Implementation and delivery:

Empower and adequately resource a statutory body for gender equality under a Cabinet Minister charged with cross government co-ordination.
    The full text of all the recommendations are listed below and the full voting figures are available at www.citizensassembly.ie

ENDS

FULL LIST OF RECOMMENDATIONS

CITIZENS’ ASSEMBLY RECOMMENDATIONS

The Constitution

Article 40.1 of the Constitution should be amended to refer explicitly to gender equality and non-discrimination.
    Article 41.2 of the Constitution should be deleted and replaced with language that is not gender specific and obliges the State to take reasonable measures to support care within the home and wider community.

Article 41 of the Constitution should be amended so that it would protect private and family life, with the protection afforded to the family not limited to the marital family.

Care

To improve the terms and conditions of those in paid employment as carers (for children and adults):

(a) They should have a pay structure and benefits (including sick pay and pensions) that reward their level of skill and training, similar to those of teachers and nurses.
    (b) They should have a career structure, including access to training and professional registration, which enables them to progress in their chosen area.

Reform Carers’ Allowance by:

(a) Increasing the level of the income disregard.
    (b) Reimbursing the costs associated with caring.
    (c) Increasing the ceiling on the number of hours in paid work outside the home.
    (d) Providing access to State employment and training programmes.

The State should develop an individualised pension solution for carers to ensure they have an adequate income once they reach retirement age.

Improve respite provision for carers by:

(a) Increasing the level of the Carers’ Support Grant in the next Budget and keeping it under review to ensure it keeps pace with other increases in social protection payments.
    (b) Providing adequate access to a range of respite services to meet individual needs.
    Ireland should:

(a) Over the next decade move to a publicly funded, accessible and regulated model of quality, affordable early years and out of hours childcare.
    (b) Increase the State share of GDP spent on childcare, from the current 0.37% of GDP to at least 1% by no later than 2030 in line with the UNICEF target.

Paid Leave for parents should:

(a) Cover the first year of a child’s life.
    (b) Be non-transferable to encourage sharing of childcare responsibility between parents.
    (c) Provide lone parents with the same total leave period as a couple.
    (d) Be incentivised by increasing payment levels to encourage increased take up.

Older people and persons with disabilities should:

(a) Be actively supported and resourced to live independently.
    (b) Have access to person centred financial supports to serve their individual needs.
    (c) Be enabled to participate as fully as possible in decisions on their care needs, based on principles of fairness, respect, equality and dignity.
    (d) Be facilitated and resourced as much as possible if their choice is to be cared for at home.

Provision for those who wish to be cared for at home should be improved by:

(a) Providing a statutory right for payment for home care packages as well as nursing care.
    (b) Increasing the annual home care budget to meet growing demand and reduce waiting lists.

Lifelong care for persons with disabilities who need it should be seamless and there should not be any break in services provided or need to reapply for support when a person turns 18.

Gender equality principle in law and policy

Empower and adequately resource a statutory body for gender equality under the responsibility of a Cabinet Minister charged with cross government coordination of gender equality issues.

Ensure data gathering on key gender equality issues (including care), regular publication of such data and remedial action where necessary.

Reflecting international best practice, require gender impact assessment of all proposed legislation and legislate for equality budgeting across all Government bodies including local authorities.
    Anti-discrimination and equality legislation should be:

(a) Regularly reviewed to ensure effective monitoring, investigation, reporting and enforcement.
    (b) A standard part of employee training.

Leadership in the workplace, norms & stereotypes, education

Work places should be required to develop, resource, implement and monitor gender-neutral recruitment and promotion policies and practices including:

(a) Specific policies to promote gender equality in leadership positions.
    (b) A requirement to operate gender-sensitive and anti-discriminatory selection and promotions processes.
    (c) Equal access to training, assignments and mentoring opportunities for all employees including part-time and remote workers.

Appropriately resource schools to facilitate:

(a) Provision of a broad range of subject choice that counters gender stereotyping.
    (b) Provision of gender-neutral career information and advice from early second level education.

Curriculum review and development should:

(a) Promote gender equality and diversity.
    (b) Explicitly cover gender power dynamics, consent and domestic, sexual and gender-based violence – both online and offline – within the revised Relationships and Sexuality curriculum.

All levels of the education system from pre-school to third level, led by the relevant Government Department, should:

(a) Ensure that initial education and continuing professional development for staff includes modules promoting gender awareness and gender-sensitive teaching methods.
    (b) Monitor policies and practices – including school inspection and whole school evaluation – through the lens of gender equality and report regularly on trends and outcomes by gender.

In view of the gendered impact on women, reform the Third Level Grants Scheme to ensure that those accessing part-time courses are eligible to apply for a grant.

Media and advertising, including social media, organisations should:

(a) Be more strongly regulated to promote gender equality and avoid gender discrimination and stereotyping and take action where discriminatory behaviours occur.
    (b) Be obliged to annually publish details of their monitoring of, and compliance with, gender equality and inclusion measures.
    (c) Make special efforts to improve the visibility of men performing caring roles.

Provide appropriate State funding and resources for:

(a) Strengthening existing programmes to encourage women into male-dominated careers (e.g. STEM, Science Technology Engineering and Maths) and including apprenticeships.
    (b) Developing initiatives to encourage men into female-dominated careers (e.g. caring professions).

Gender Quotas, politics & public life

By the end of 2022:

(a) Extend the gender quota for party candidates at general elections to local elections, elections to the Seanad and European Parliament elections and review every 5 years.
    (b) Increase penalties for parties that do not meet the statutory gender quotas.
    (c) The 30% threshold should be increased to 40% for women (and 40% for men) for all elections.

Improve gender balance on boards by:

(a) Making funding to public bodies contingent on reaching a 40% gender balance quota by 2025.
    (b) Enacting gender quota legislation that requires private companies to have at least 40% gender balance according to specific criteria such as turnover, number of employees etc.

Public funding to cultural, sports, arts and media organisations should be contingent on:

(a) A quota of 30% representation of women, and of men, on their Governing bodies by 2025 and 40% by 2030.
    (b) Published plans to advance gender equality in their organisations.
    (c) Annual reporting on progress towards agreed quotas on gender representation and funding.

Improve family-friendly practices for all representatives elected to public office by:

(a) Making maternity, paternity and parental leave available to all elected representatives, including Ministers (through legislation or constitutional amendment as required).
    (b) Providing flexible working options including remote working and voting and adjusting meeting times and rules to suit caring responsibilities (through legislation or constitutional amendment as required).

Strengthen legislation, reporting and monitoring of press and social media by:

(a) Holding technology and social media companies accountable for immediately removing online content that constitutes sexual harassment, bullying, stalking, sexually violent or abusive content that they have identified or about which they have been informed.
    (b) Penalising and eliminating hateful and abusive language, including on the basis of gender, with regular reviews to ensure legislation keeps pace with technological advances.

Domestic, Sexual & Gender-Based Violence

All Government action to prevent and counter domestic, sexual and gender-based violence should be coordinated by a Cabinet Minister with direct responsibility for implementation of a national strategy.

Eliminate tolerance in our society of domestic, sexual and gender-based violence by developing and implementing awareness, prevention and education campaigns which may include children of an appropriate age on:

(a) The impact and harm caused by domestic, sexual and gender-based violence.
    (b) Supports available to victims/survivors.

Support justice for victims/survivors by:

(a) Reviewing and reforming the courts system – including the family courts – to better protect and support victims/survivors of domestic, sexual and gender-based violence and their dependents and remove barriers to justice.
    (b) Developing guidelines and specialist training for judges and lawyers regarding the treatment of victims/survivors, including the exclusion of the consideration of sexual history, character, attire and counselling/medical records.
    (c) Introducing tougher sentences and rehabilitation programmes for the perpetrators of domestic, sexual and gender-based violence and sexual crimes.
    (d) Providing specialised confidential health care and other support services for victims/survivors including legal representation.
    (e) Putting in place a Victims/Survivors Commissioner as an independent advocate and voice for victims/survivors.

Ensure sufficient publicly funded provision of beds, shelters and accommodation for victims/survivors of domestic, sexual and gender-based violence across the country and their dependents in line with the Istanbul Convention.

Recognise female genital mutilation (FGM) as a ground for seeking asylum, and provide culturally sensitive specialised services for victims/survivors.

Pay and workplace conditions

The State should set targets in legislation to reduce the hourly gender pay gap (currently 14%) to 9% by 2025 and to 4% by 2030 with a view to eliminating it by 2035.

The Gender Pay Gap Information Bill should be enacted and implemented without delay. The law should include penalties for non-compliance and an obligation for annual reporting.

Increase the minimum wage to align it with the living wage by 2025 while considering potential employment impacts on small businesses.

Support employment contract security through:
    (a) Establishing a legal right to collective bargaining to improve wages, working conditions and rights in all sectors.
    (b) Increased resourcing of the Workplace Relations Commission for more effective enforcement of current employment laws.

Introduce a statutory right to reasonable access to flexible working.

Social Protection

Adopt a fully individualised social protection system to reflect the diversity of today’s lives and to promote an equal division of paid work and care.

Social protection services should:
    (a) Set social protection payments and/or supports at a level that lifts people above the poverty line, prevents deprivation and supports an adequate standard of living.
    (b) Regularly train staff to prioritise dignity and respect in all contact with clients, including giving a choice in how they receive payments.

Take account of gender equality issues in piloting a Universal Basic Income scheme.

Address the specific needs of lone parents to incentivise and support them in accessing work or education, including provision of child and after-school care.
    Immediately address the impact of the Marriage Bar by automatically qualifying women affected by the marriage bar for a state pension.

Regardless of the pension model, enrolment into pension savings should be automatic and start when a person starts earning, subject to a threshold on low incomes and an opt-out clause.

Introduce a Universal State Pension so that every resident of Ireland receives a pension upon reaching pension age.

Members also voted in favour of the following:

Our recommendations call for better public services and improved social protection in order to advance gender equality. These should be funded firstly through greater efficiency and accountability for public funding and reprioritisation between current spending and revenue raising. If necessary, we are also prepared to support and pay higher taxes based on the principle of ability to pay, to make a reality of our recommendations.

Advertisement