Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My Circumcision Story

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Orwellmerchant

Hello Everyone!
    I had my procedure on Thursday, now its Sunday and I'm still swollen and in pain.

I am happy I got it done and look forward to it healing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Rankingpoints

I'm not sure if this is off topic or not but I'll give it a go. Years ago I went to the doctor about the dreaded banjo string getting damaged. This was months after it happened and they couldn't spot anything wrong even though I was in constant pain. To cut a long story short, I still have this pain to this day.

I'm wondering if anyone had a similar experience and if getting circumsised helped at all? I have a feeling the 'banjo string' is a bit too tight which is causing this pain. I literally can't cope with the pain any more. It's strange that the doctors couldn't see anything visibly wrong all those years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

What are your experiences of sex before and after ? I’m finding it a bit difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 AussieRam

I haven't made up my mind yet on whether to go for the full circ or partial, as I said before my urologist advised to get a full one and tight, It would be a big change though to have the glans uncovered all the time but then again I know that a partial won't be the same as the way it was before either, that will be different too and may have drawbacks as stated on this thread. I got a referral for another urologist for a second opinion but that is a 4 month waiting list just for a consultation. Part of me just wants to get it over because it is taking up too much of my time thinking about it.

I'm not sure if this is off topic or not but I'll give it a go. Years ago I went to the doctor about the dreaded banjo string getting damaged. This was months after it happened and they couldn't spot anything wrong even though I was in constant pain. To cut a long story short, I still have this pain to this day.

I'm wondering if anyone had a similar experience and if getting circumsised helped at all? I have a feeling the 'banjo string' is a bit too tight which is causing this pain. I literally can't cope with the pain any more. It's strange that the doctors couldn't see anything visibly wrong all those years ago.

Go and see a urologist, also have a read here about the frenulum (Banjo string) and Frenuloplasty
    https://www.baus.org.uk/patients/conditions/13/tight_foreskin_phimosis/

• Advertisement

One week anniversary,
    Swelling has reduced alot, stitches are still in place.

I am looking forward to it becoming normal again, the shape is still not right.

One week anniversary,
    Swelling has reduced alot, stitches are still in place.

I am looking forward to it becoming normal again, the shape is still not right.

Well done Orwell, do you know what style you got? Tight or loose? etc

I cant tell the style yet because the stitches are still in but when they come out i'll post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Rankingpoints

AussieRam wrote: »
    Go and see a urologist, also have a read here about the frenulum (Banjo string) and Frenuloplasty

Maybe a silly question but I assume a doctor has to refer you first? I'm positive if I go to a doctor they'll refer me to a urologist so you're right - I'd rather go direct

Maybe a silly question but I assume a doctor has to refer you first? I'm positive if I go to a doctor they'll refer me to a urologist so you're right - I'd rather go direct

I'm not sure could you go direct but yeah It's probably better to get a referral

• Advertisement

In my case, I visited my GP who then referred by to a Consultant in the public domain. From start to finish it took almost 2 years, which included a waiting list and being transferred from one hospital to another.

I researched having the procedure done privately at a cost of €1250 and a waiting list of about 1-2 weeks.

I chose to wait for the public service because it wasn't majorly affecting me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

I got this done privately with Dr. Sam in Malahide. I'm just wondering can I claim back 20% of the cost from revenue for health expenses?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Irishguy10

I might have to get this done and was wondering if anyone regrets it? Those who have done it, are you still happy months/years later? Did you lose a lot of sensitivity?

I got it done in February, its fantastic.
    Zero regrets and a great feel of freedom.
    Sensitivity has majorly improved.

Well done Orwell, do you know what style you got? Tight or loose? etc

Low and tight

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Iderown

Irishguy10 wrote: »
    I might have to get this done and was wondering if anyone regrets it? Those who have done it, are you still happy months/years later? Did you lose a lot of sensitivity?

Irishguy10 - Don't know that "regret" is the correct word for me. I was circumcised by parental demand when I was a few months old.

Always hated it.
    I have now restored a very good approximation to a foreskin by skin expansion methods. Google "Foreskin restoration" for some details.
    The increase in sexual sensation is amazing.

I got it done in February, its fantastic.
    Zero regrets and a great feel of freedom.
    Sensitivity has majorly improved.

Glad to hear, Can I ask what was your reason for getting it done?

I had my second opinion yesterday, the urologist said I didnt really need a circ its not like I have too tight foreskin, its just that its a case of me having too long foreskin, however like other docs he failed to acknowledge the damage that was done to my tip which made it longer and atrophied and this is what is causing my discomfort.

He pondered about doing a partial but he said he doesnt think I would like it, that its neither one thing or the other, he added that he never did one before and seemed unsure, once I heard that I kind of backed out of the idea. He said Full circ is usually whats done and seemed to prefer it. He also mentioned about a frenuloplasty but that I wouldnt be suitable for this. Like my first opinion he mentioned my frenulum is a bit short, but that never troubled me before.

I do regret not standing firm though and asking him since I have so much foreskin wouldnt there be enough there to cover the Penis once the damaged bit was removed? So im a bit annoyed at myself and not sure what to do now. Its a bit like having trousers thats too long, but it seems a bit much to cut them off up to the knees instead of removing the required amount! My first opinion was with a Urologist who only did full circ but did a sutureless circ which is meant to be a newer and better type of circ. The second opinion doc would use stitches. So im not sure what to do now, maybe even going back to the 2nd opinion guy and asking him different questions.
    If anyone knows a good surgeon that does partial could you pm me please thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Irishguy10 wrote: »

Got it done about 20 year ago it was sore but I presume the procedure has changed or improved since was sore for a few days but after that twas grand.. Very sensitive and the women seem to prefer a cut love pole from my experience anyway lol...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

FWIW AussieRam ask them about Preputioplasty. If applicable to you it's a fair less invasive operation and with much shorter healing times and retains the foreskin and its function. That said, I do recall reading this thread way back when and reading of other men's experiences the doctors involved in Ireland seemed to have near zero clue about said procedure(a couple didn't even know what it was, which is more than worrying for an expert in the field) and some quite firmly dismissed it, I suspect simply because they didn't provide it and preferred to go the route of "what we've always done".

I have zero issue with circumcision when it's warranted(I consider doing it on newborn boys child abuse) and it has helped many men and that's great, but like you I question the severity of the response and I have an issue with what appears to be most Irish doctors going on folk's experiences here of the immediate go to removal of highly enervated tissue with a functional purpose because it's seen as "normal", when less invasive therapies are available.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Irishguy10

I stretched mine out for over a year. Went from not seeing my glans to seeing nearly all of it, was too afraid to actually pull it back in case it would get stuck. Unfortunately I got Some kind of infection and it's gone back to the way it was before. Once the infection clears I doubt stretching will work again so I don't think I have a choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 DublinGuy40

Hi all, hope this is the right place to post.

42yo guy here, and after years of considering it, I finally had a frenuloplasty done on Wednesday. So day 3 of recovery. Would be interested to hear from anyone else who had it done, especially questions about recovery, any complications, results.

I had the op done in the Beacon Hospital privately (thanks VHI). The op was totally fine and thankfully I opted for general anaesthetic, so when I woke up everything was done. Have been at home resting since then. No pain at all really just some mild discomfort. Am cleaning it twice a day and not going to lie, today there is a bit of a smell down there. Have avoided using soaps etc but will start with Elave today.

Surgeon told me stitches would dissolve in 1-2 weeks, and from what I have read online I need to avoid any sexual activity for up for 4 week at least....which I am already struggling with :-)

Anyway if anyone else has had it done or is thinking about it get in touch.

Glad to hear, Can I ask what was your reason for getting it done?

Phimosis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

I had my second opinion yesterday, the urologist said I didnt really need a circ its not like I have too tight foreskin, its just that its a case of me having too long foreskin, however like other docs he failed to acknowledge the damage that was done to my tip which made it longer and atrophied and this is what is causing my discomfort.

He pondered about doing a partial but he said he doesnt think I would like it, that its neither one thing or the other, he added that he never did one before and seemed unsure, once I heard that I kind of backed out of the idea. He said Full circ is usually whats done and seemed to prefer it. He also mentioned about a frenuloplasty but that I wouldnt be suitable for this. Like my first opinion he mentioned my frenulum is a bit short, but that never troubled me before.

I do regret not standing firm though and asking him since I have so much foreskin wouldnt there be enough there to cover the Penis once the damaged bit was removed? So im a bit annoyed at myself and not sure what to do now. Its a bit like having trousers thats too long, but it seems a bit much to cut them off up to the knees instead of removing the required amount! My first opinion was with a Urologist who only did full circ but did a sutureless circ which is meant to be a newer and better type of circ. The second opinion doc would use stitches. So im not sure what to do now, maybe even going back to the 2nd opinion guy and asking him different questions.
    If anyone knows a good surgeon that does partial could you pm me please thanks.

Interested if you've gone any further with this. While I used to feel my foreskin is too tight, reading this brings me to the now seemingly obvious conclusion it's too tight, as it is clearly longer than normal, and much of it can retract( indeed all of it can, though its very painful and overly tight). So not quite phimosis.

I'm frankly very scared and very confused. I've heard conflicting reports, of the whole member becoming overly sensitive and remaining painful, to all sensitivity being lost. Intercourse can be mixed from painful when the skin is pushed back and forth, to a lack of feeling when not. Its not ideal but the reviews are scary so there's s feeling that maybe 'what I have, I...er hold'

Im worried about the cost and people finding out and not being able to walk or work or pee without pain, and sex becoming worse again. I have no gp and I couldn't face attending a local guy if I did. I currently have no medical insurance, I have been procrastinating picking one cos I dont know which is right for me. (I'm not particularly looking at one for this op, more so for protection and cover for cancer treatment or a broken leg from football to keep me from serious debt while I'm out of work. But if the cover was to help any op...that would be obviously welcome. I assume I would need to be covered well in advance of seeking medical treatment? Should I do this before approaching a gp). Does public health entitle you to the if its deemed painful not to have it, or does it have to be an emergency, (which its not, I'm 35 and its not exactly er again... choking me to death).

The partial circ, seems a possibility. I dont know about this version that its neither one or the other, if it removes problematic long foreskin.

Any help appreciated. I'm even jittery and slightly queasy posting this and researching the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

darlett wrote: »
    Interested if you've gone any further with this. While I used to feel my foreskin is too tight, reading this brings me to the now seemingly obvious conclusion it's too tight, as it is clearly longer than normal, and much of it can retract( indeed all of it can, though its very painful and overly tight). So not quite phimosis.

I'm frankly very scared and very confused. I've heard conflicting reports, of the whole member becoming overly sensitive and remaining painful, to all sensitivity being lost. Intercourse can be mixed from painful when the skin is pushed back and forth, to a lack of feeling when not. Its not ideal but the reviews are scary so there's s feeling that maybe 'what I have, I...er hold'

Im worried about the cost and people finding out and not being able to walk or work or pee without pain, and sex becoming worse again. I have no gp and I couldn't face attending a local guy if I did. I currently have no medical insurance, I have been procrastinating picking one cos I dont know which is right for me. (I'm not particularly looking at one for this op, more so for protection and cover for cancer treatment or a broken leg from football to keep me from serious debt while I'm out of work. But if the cover was to help any op...that would be obviously welcome. I assume I would need to be covered well in advance of seeking medical treatment? Should I do this before approaching a gp). Does public health entitle you to the if its deemed painful not to have it, or does it have to be an emergency, (which its not, I'm 35 and its not exactly er again... choking me to death).

The partial circ, seems a possibility. I dont know about this version that its neither one or the other, if it removes problematic long foreskin.

Any help appreciated. I'm even jittery and slightly queasy posting this and researching the thread.

The procedures can result in minimal pain and discomfort for a short time, it won't affect your ability to walk or urinate. You can skip the GP and go straight to the clinic, a lot of GP's would be ignorant of the options anyway. I've sent you a PM with clinic details.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

I’m very interested in getting this procedure done! I’m just wondering what’s the cost of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/stories-49085138/circumcision-my-penis-causes-me-constant-pain

This poor guy.
    3 years ago we needed for medical reasons to get my 6 month year old son circumcised - urine was building up under his foreskin and his penis was balooning, it would eventually empty when the pressure grew - so it WAS necessary.
    But now watching this video I am paranoid, I'm assuming the C1 cut is extreme and wouldn't be carried out much nowadays ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Those of you that got it done as adults, do you find sex any less pleasurable or more difficult to reach the point of ejaculation?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Iderown

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/stories-49085138/circumcision-my-penis-causes-me-constant-pain

This poor guy.
    3 years ago we needed for medical reasons to get my 6 month year old son circumcised - urine was building up under his foreskin and his penis was balooning, it would eventually empty when the pressure grew - so it WAS necessary.
    But now watching this video I am paranoid, I'm assuming the C1 cut is extreme and wouldn't be carried out much nowadays ?

Hector Savage - maybe something you should do is to think about how to explain this to your son. Children are inquisitive and as soon as he sees another boy who is intact he will ask questions. "Why am I different?"
    [All I ever got from my parents was that I should be happy that I looked like Prince Charles there.]
    Use detail and language appropriate to his age. You may want to accelerate the questions by showering with him so that you can start the question sessions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Cyclepath

Gael23 wrote: »
    Those of you that got it done as adults, do you find sex any less pleasurable or more difficult to reach the point of ejaculation?

I got a 'high and loose' circumcision with plenty of loose skin. All I needed was a correction for phimosis so I gave the doc clear instructions not to take any more skin than necessary. This means that when I'm completely flaccid, the foreskin completely covers the glans (YMMV as mine tends to turtle back into my abdomen - it's a 'grower' rather than a shower).

This also means the glans hasn't abraded to quite the same level as it would with a 'low and tight' circ. However, even with the increased exposure, it has desensitised a little bit. Add in my age and let's just say Premature Ejaculation is not a problem!

Advertisement