Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My hairline is thinning :(

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

MrMiyagi wrote: »
    If sudden hair loss wasn't a concern for a lot of men then the shampoos, mad you tube videos and fraudsters wouldn't exist.

You seem to have had no issues in dealing with it, however asking us all to "man up" and get on with it in a macho sense isn't necessarily the approach.

Magic potions ain't going to cut it either. I'm not saying it doesn't bother people, it certainly bothered me when it was my turn, I'm just saying don't let it get to you - it's just part of growing up and/or old. Rearguard actions are as pointless as anti-wrinkle cream and facelifts. Concentrate on healthy and happy, not your inconsequential hairline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Tordelback wrote: »
    Is there anything less manly than a man worrying about/fighting hair loss - especially in their 30s or later. Bit **** if you're a teenager, but when you're a grown man it's all part of the deal, I'm afraid. You're a bloke, you were never that pretty to start with.

And look at the baldies and greydomes around you: would you say they look better or wore than the hairplug, combover, shoe-polish and Trump brigade? Stop measuring you selfworth with your follicle count and just get on with it.

Ah come on now, show a bit of compassion. Just because you or I might not see it as a big deal, the OP obviously does, and it's not right to question his "manliness" over something that may be giving him a great deal of anxiety.

I do tend to agree with you that he shouldn't be measuring his self-worth by how much hair he has, but that's the problem with measuring a person's self-worth: what may be important to one may be irrelevant to another.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

kaji wrote: »
    Hi there. I am 30 years old and over the past year I've noticed that my hair is becoming very thin at the front.

I went to my doctor and he just laughed and said there's no cure. It's not too noticeable to others yet but it is to me and I don;t want it to get worse.

I've just done a quick Google search and see that there is Regaine and a type of medication too. Does anyone know if it's easy to get a prescription for this or if I can buy Regaine from abroad (it seems cheaper on foreign websites)?

Thanks

The only advice I have to offer is this - have a blade shaven head makes me feel better than even letting short stubble grow out.

I look at pics now of myself before I started shaving close and cringe. I didn't realise I was going as bald on top as I was!

Shave it, incorporate it into your routine and don't worry about it. If you are worried then focus that energy into getting yourself fitter. If you do want to spend money on cosmetic treatments do it on stuff with substantive results like getting perfect white teeth or having the skin of a Greek god.

Fit, good complexion man with great teeth and shaven head > man spending large amounts of money clinging onto departing hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,012 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I don't know if I am typical, but my, woman's, angle is that bald heads are at least ok and generally attractive. I don't think I have ever seen a bald head that I found unattractive, but I have certainly seen some hair do's that I found very unappealing. If you are balding, just go with it. Let the little fringe around the back last as long as it will, but for heavens sake don't try and disguise the bald spot with the comb over. If you are going to be bald, be confident with it, it looks great!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭sitkaspruce

a mate of mine bought a hair piece on ali express - he said it was the best €10.99 he ever spent!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Baldness is nature's way of stopping lads getting stupid haircuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭sitkaspruce

A-Men brother!

I have a comb over by choice - have had it for 15 years. cant help it if the youngsters are trying to copy me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

I'm not going bald, that's a solar panel for a sex machine

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

Honestly though it's all genetics, I'm extremely lucky to still have hair, I look like my mothers side, they are all under 5'8 and they were all bald by 22, my dads side all have good thick hair and I was lucky to get that and make it to 5"10!
    2 of my 3 brothers are thinning out fairly quickly but both started using some cream which has had amazing effects, il check its name at weekend! I am lucky but you guys need to take it in your stride, don't let it affect your confidence and plough on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭jsms88

My hairline is receding with the last few months too. I'm 29. I don't think it bothers me.... just hope it does it's thing in a way that doesn't leave me looking strange...,Half bald- half not kinda thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

I've been going bald since I was 19 was never very bad until last year when it started to disappear very fast. Decided to just shave it all off this year should have done it ages ago looks grand, I'm a man **** happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Claude Wilton

No 2 blade for the last fifteen years.

Suedeheads are cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

I'm 24 at the moment, still have a mop of hair, my hairline is receding but very very slowly.
    I reckon once I hit the 30 mark it will start going fast.

But its natures course I guess, a very small percentage of old people I see who actually have a head full of hair.
    Thats if their not wearing a wig.

OP just go with it, its what I will be doing.
    Judging from my dad in anyway who is just gone 50, I would not like my hair the way his is.
    Its receded really far back, I don't know why he just doesnt shave it off all together.
    But then again he is over 50 and most likely doesn't give to ****es about it.

If your really desperate, But I heard its alot of cash, is go for one of them hair transplant things.

Personally though, If I thought I could pull off the pure bald look with no hair at all I would do it in a heartbeat alot of girls find that more attractive plus no need for shampoo xD

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

I'm 35 and have noticed my hair has really thinned out on top in the past year. It has been slowly receding for a number of years but it's the first time i've become really self conscious about it. Have changed shampoo to Procerin and kindly asked my barber to use all his skills to make it look like I still have something. I haven't quite reached the stage where shaving is the only option so want to hold on to it as long as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,568 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

OP is looking for answers.
    https://www.webdoctor.ie/hair-loss
    You can create an account there and apply through an online form for finasteride, they will post you a prescription. It will be a 5mg pill, you will need a pill cutter, can get one in any pharmacy. Even cut in four pieces it's 1.25 mg, which is more than the 1mg hairloss pill.
    My advise is to cut that into 8 pieces or even more. Don't take it at 1.25 mg. Seems to me you need a very small amount as it's a powerful drug. Some people take 0.20 mg, a 1mg cut into 5 pieces and have results. Will take 6 months to see it work, so don't increase does, just stick with a tiny amount, can't stress that enough.
    I've not taken it myself, always threatened to do so but have not as of yet. I've been taking Dr Best Saw Palmetto for 3 years, does it work, hmmm it must help. Without it I'd have to get up during night to use bathroom, with it I could sleep in on a Saturday until 1pm and not need to get up. That is what finasteride was made for , that was its actual use.
    Lately I've see side effect same as finasteride, so maybe Saw Palmetto can also give side effects.
    I use to take two a day, 320 mg each. It's a natural supplement though, like taking an Omega 3 capsule, which are 900 mg. I've cut it down to one every 2 days or so and still sleep.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NISIM-HAIR-LOSS-MENS-WOMENS-SHAMPOO-LARGE-LITRE-OILY-SLS-FREE-SALON-SIZES-/231916180873?hash=item35ff481589:g:J~8AAOSw95lXEzNR
    This Shampoo is great, stops hair fall within a week, I know it works. Can help a great deal, I use it with Nizarol Shampoo. It's amazing. Again won't regrow, but stops hair fall.

Massaging scalp can help too. Something I do randomly most nights, basically just make claw type action with my hands and stick nails in and move scalp , massaging it. All that type of stuff can simulate the crown.

Then you have places like this
    https://www.clinicana.com/hair-transplant-turkey-pricing . They are really good it seems. Can give you a full head of hair if you want to avoid all medication. And it's cheap compared to UK or Ireland, and they do a much better job. They are very skilled in what they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Ironman76

If you're looking for a quick hair thickener give this a go. .

Mix the below together in a cup:
    Egg (take out some of the white so there's only a slightly bigger amount of white than yolk)
    Spoon of honey
    7-8 drops of tea tree oil.

After shampooing add the above to damp hair and comb into it. Leave for ten mins and rinse out thoroughly. (Don't leave on for more than ten mins).

Let hair dry naturally.

You can thank me later 🙂

Advertisement