Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any 4k Satellite Boxes Recommendations

Options
  • 08-06-2019 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭

4k Satellite Boxes Recommendations with out all the bells and whistles
    (android rubbish). For 4k UHD Astra 1 19e and Hotbird 13e .In the Dublin area ,with a budget of 300/400 euros.

Any dealers suggestions would be great .

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Gigablue UE 4K very solid box, or one of or VU+ 4K reciecers. Buy online at World of Sat in the UK or HM Sat Shop in Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Gigablue UE is cable focused. You'd be better with the uhd quad

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

M5 wrote: »
    Gigablue UE is cable focused. You'd be better with the uhd quad

They are not. Its just the name of the range. They come with various plug n play tuners (so there are various configs)

• FBC Cable Tuner
    • PnP Gigablue Single DVB-S2x Tuner v.2 (Optional)
    • PnP Gigablue Dual DVB-S2x Tuner v.2 (Optional)
    • PnP Gigablue Single DVB-C/T2 Tuner v.2 (H. 265) (Optional)
    • PnP Gigablue Twin DVB-C/T2 Tuner v.2 (H.265) (Optional)

The there's the Trio and Quad range.

I have a Gigablue. They are not necessarily worth the price tag.

If its a single tuner then look at the OCTAGON SF8008 4K UHD 2160p H.265 HEVC Bargain at STG 99.

DVB-S2X tuner and a DVB-T tuner

https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/octagon-sf8008?filter_name=sf8008

or Twin DVB-S2 is STG109
    https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/octagon-sf8008-twin-s2x?filter_name=sf8008

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

STB. wrote: »
    They are not. Its just the name of the range. They come with various plug n play tuners (so there are various configs)

• FBC Cable Tuner

If its a single tuner then look at the OCTAGON SF8008 4K UHD 2160p H.265 HEVC Bargain at STG 99.

or Twin DVB-S2 is STG109

The octagon is amazing value. Lightening fast as well. Bargain.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭druss

I'm also in the market for a new sat box. I'm moving into a new house soon and I was actually thinking Gigablue UHD 4k as the solution. Justifying this expenditure on the SatIP and FBC features. Mainly SatIP, if I'm honest.

Any feedback on how that works for you, STB or JDxtra?

I was thinking that I could get Saorview and multisat coming into house in utility room, feeding into Gigablue and pc, which then feed data to 2 or 3 tvs, while also distributing an NC+ card in the Gigablue for football and boxing.

Feedback welcome!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭lgs 4

Thanks all for the suggestions .The UK retailers it's not dodgy boxes that are reconditioned or refurbished .With no come back .

lgs 4 wrote: »
    Thanks all for the suggestions .The UK retailers it's not dodgy boxes that are reconditioned or refurbished .With no come back .

World of Satellite are very reputable retailers, buying off them years. Buying local I'd be more cautious, especially when it comes to VU+ boxes (beware of clones!).

druss wrote: »
    I'm also in the market for a new sat box. I'm moving into a new house soon and I was actually thinking Gigablue UHD 4k as the solution. Justifying this expenditure on the SatIP and FBC features. Mainly SatIP, if I'm honest.

Any feedback on how that works for you, STB or JDxtra?

I was thinking that I could get Saorview and multisat coming into house in utility room, feeding into Gigablue and pc, which then feed data to 2 or 3 tvs, while also distributing an NC+ card in the Gigablue for football and boxing.

Feedback welcome!
    I have mine setup as follows:

One FBC tuner assigned to 28.2° E for all the UK FTA channels, allows 4 feeds over one cable using a Unicable LNB.
    The other FBC tuner is not used in FBC mode - it's connected to a diseqc switch for Astra 19.2° E and Hotbird 13.0° E.
    Then an antenna for DVB-T2 and Saorview.

Using OpenViX 5.2 image, I just prefer that one.

Using the Gigablue app, I stream live or recordings to a tablet. Then on a PC I stream from the box using VLC media player. Never had any real issues, have it since November - think I only restarted it once (after the initial messing around getting it setup of course!). The remote is OK, functional but not pleasant to hold (I prefer the VU+ remotes).

Don't have any other experience with distribution beyond my simple enough setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

• FBC Cable Tuner

or Twin DVB-S2 is STG109

Are there back up images available similar to Vu Solo has?

Does it run Oscam?

abarkie wrote: »
    Are there back up images available similar to Vu Solo has?

Does it run Oscam?

OpenVix, OpenATV, OpenEight and PLI.

Oscam-Yes. Multisteam-Yes.

PowerVu without Streamrelay. I'd imagine so - but check with WOS.

See it runs and uses Kodi's Media Player.

• Advertisement

OpenVix, OpenATV, OpenEight and PLI.

Oscam-Yes. Multisteam-Yes.

PowerVu without Streamrelay. I'd imagine so - but check with WOS.

See it runs and uses Kodi's Media Player.

Great

Does it read / update a skylink card or would i need to use a cam?

I can't see what type of card reader it is - I usually have this card in my technomate 5402, not my Vu Solo2, so it would be a great solution for me if that worked

abarkie wrote: »
    Great

Does it read / update a skylink card or would i need to use a cam?

I can't see what type of card reader it is - I usually have this card in my technomate 5402, not my Vu Solo2, so it would be a great solution for me if that worked

Don't know. I don't have a Skylink card. That the Czech one for 23.5E ? Its Irdeto (Ice) or Cryptoworks ? You'll have to use Oscam to read off the local card.

The Octagon does not have a CI+ module. It has a smartcard slot.

BTW. PVu working without Streamrelay as I thought.

Don't know. I don't have a Skylink card. That the Czech one for 23.5E ? Its Irdeto (Ice) or Cryptoworks ? You'll have to use Oscam to read off the local card.

The Octagon does not have a CI+ module. It has a smartcard slot.

BTW. PVu working without Streamrelay as I thought.

I think the card is Irdeto - I have a cam but is reads it in the card reader in the Technomate 5402

Only want the card to be read by receiver, not bothered to use it wit Oscam

Probably best ask WOS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

I have the Vu+ Duo 4K, 2 FBC tuners (Freesat and Hotbird hooked up ) and a Terrestrial tuner (Saorview)

Cant say a bad word about it, running OpenATV 6.3 image - SLY-Look (Updated Jan 2019)

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Stuxnet wrote: »
    I have the Vu+ Duo 4K, 2 FBC tuners (Freesat and Hotbird hooked up ) and a Terrestrial tuner (Saorview)

Cant say a bad word about it, running OpenATV 6.3 image - SLY-Look (Updated Jan 2019)

I have the Duo 4k great box and well worth the money .

JDxtra wrote: »
    I have mine setup as follows:

One FBC tuner assigned to 28.2° E for all the UK FTA channels, allows 4 feeds over one cable using a Unicable LNB.
    The other FBC tuner is not used in FBC mode - it's connected to a diseqc switch for Astra 19.2° E and Hotbird 13.0° E.
    Then an antenna for DVB-T2 and Saorview.

I've bought the Gigablue UE 4k and a GigaBlue UHD Trio 4K (this should be the client box, all going well). But we haven't moved house yet so I haven't started to set things up.

Next purchases will be Unicable II LNB(s) and I presume a compatible switch. Do you , or any of the Vu Duo owners, have something like this?.

One of my two FBC tuners will obviously be dedicated to 28.2° E.

I'm not sure whether to buy two other unicable LNBs for Hotbird and Astra for the other FBC tuner or if that's overkill!

Re:thinking the above:

If I can get the Sat/IP or multiroom streaming working, then I presume the switch is redundant!

So I could buy 3 x LNBs like these ones and get a unicable combiner instead for Astra and Hotbird like this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

druss wrote: »
    Re:thinking the above:

If I can get the Sat/IP or multiroom streaming working, then I presume the switch is redundant!

So I could buy 3 x LNBs like these ones and get a unicable combiner instead for Astra and Hotbird like this one?

Would you not have conflicts with three '32' LNBs?
    How would you separate their outputs?

If you intend to have two side-by-side on the arm then the width of the LNB will be critical also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭bassy

hey guys ive 2 sat receivers in mind octagon sf8008 and Zgemma h7s,both are similar in price and both are twin sat inputs.which of the 2 would you pick or think is the better one ?.

or is there a better sat receiver for a few quid more,say 100 to 200 euros price range.any advice or taughts on this greatly appreciated.

@ bassy. I got the SF8008, the combo version.

Its very fast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

hey guys ive 2 sat receivers in mind octagon sf8008 and Zgemma h7s,both are similar in price and both are twin sat inputs. which of the 2 would you pick or think is the better one ?.

or is there a better sat receiver for a few quid more,say 100 to 200 euros price range.any advice or taughts on this greatly appreciated.

Are you sure the SF8008 has twin sat inputs?

Only see single sat input on version from these sellers...
    https://www.satking.de/en/sat--co/tv-receiver/sat-receiver/octagon-sf8008-4k-uhd-2160p-h.265-hevc-e2-linux-dual-wifi-dvb-s2x--t2c-combo-receiver

https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/octagon-sf8008

Ten Pin wrote: »

Comes in 3 configs.

Single Dvb-S2x

Twin Dvb-S2x

Combo Single Dvb-S2x and Dvb-C/T2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭Zardoz

@ bassy. I got the SF8008, the combo version.

Its very fast.

I'm kind of surprised that you went for that receiver STB ,its a Hisilicon Hi3798MV200 Huawei chipset ,a bit of an unknown when it comes to running Enigma 2.

Its an ARM chip it seems ,whats the performance like ?

I was looking at getting an SF8008 a few months back but held off due to the Hisilicon chip as the feedback from users was the software was poor.

Zardoz wrote: »
    I'm kind of surprised that you went for that receiver STB ,its a Hisilicon Hi3798MV200 Huawei chipset ,a bit of an unknown when it comes to running Enigma 2.

Its an ARM chip it seems ,whats the performance like ?

I was looking at getting an SF8008 a few months back but held off due to the Hisilicon chip as the feedback from users was the software was poor.

The software is OE alliance and Octagon are feeding the kernels and commits to them. Blindscan works, which was a consideration for me as Gigablue have completely wrecked theirs and the images have become too big for the 800SE and UE plus ranges. Hilsilicon so its ARM.

First box to actually support Kodi in h/w. Also does MIS no prob. Osc EMU straight off through DVBAPI.

For the price those moving from 400MHZ/750MHZ boxes will notice straight away. Massive flash size as well. E2 boxes coming down in price, which is good to see. Boot/Reboot time is really fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Has What Satellite WotSat magazine stopped publishing? Looked for it today and couldnt find it at all.

theguzman wrote: »
    Has What Satellite WotSat magazine stopped publishing? Looked for it today and couldnt find it at all.

stopped years ago.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

bassy wrote: »
    stopped years ago.....

I used to buy it and it was an interesting read

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭Zardoz

The software is OE alliance and Octagon are feeding the kernels and commits to them. Blindscan works, which was a consideration for me as Gigablue have completely wrecked theirs and the images have become too big for the 800SE and UE plus ranges. Hilsilicon so its ARM.

First box to actually support Kodi in h/w. Also does MIS no prob. Osc EMU straight off through DVBAPI.

For the price those moving from 400MHZ/750MHZ boxes will notice straight away. Massive flash size as well. E2 boxes coming down in price, which is good to see. Boot/Reboot time is really fast.

Sounds promising .

What does it offer over say the Zgemma H7S which is slightly more expensive ?
    Whats the picture quality like on the Octagon ?

There seem to be a few similar receivers ,the Octagon SF8008 ,Zgemma H9 and the Maxytec .
    Very powerful spec for the money .

• Advertisement

Zardoz wrote: »
    Sounds promising .

What does it offer over say the Zgemma H7S which is slightly more expensive ?
    Whats the picture quality like on the Octagon ?

There seem to be a few similar receivers ,the Octagon SF8008 ,Zgemma H9 and the Maxytec .
    Very powerful spec for the money .

Zgemma H7S

​BCM7251S/Brahma 15 Dual Core 1700Mhz 12K DMIPS
    4 Gig Flash
    1GB DDR3 RAM

Octagon Sf8008

ARM Hisilicon Hi3798MV200 Quad Core 64Bit (4x 1.6GHz) 15K DMIPS
    8 Gig Flash
    1 GB DDR4 RAM
    Blindscan
    Hardware Kodi playback

Advertisement