Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bicycle Baskets.

• 15-11-2010 5:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jivemonster2

Hello there!

I'm a complete novice when it comes to bikes, but this week i'm going to buy my girlfriend a basket for her bike. Anyone have any ideas as to where I could get one of these (for cheap).

Oh, and it has to be wicker!

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Comments

How about this?

There's a few more on that site as well, have a look around see if anything catches your eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

i'm going to buy my girlfriend a basket for her bike.
    I find myself in the same situation now.
    Have looked at the shop across from Travelodge on Tuam Road but selection wasn't good.
    Where else in Galway can I find baskets? I can buy online but just want to make sure the basket will fit the bike so a shop is better.

Sorry about the bump btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

If you don't want a wicker basket, then Topeak make metal baskets that attach to their bike racks. They also sell connecting brackets/quick-connect mechanisms for their bike racks that you may be able to attach to a basket of your choice - this will allow the basket to be quickly connected to or removed from the pannier rack.

I've been using a Topeak rear rack for a few months now on a commute bike and find it good (i.e. robust, which is about the best you can hope for from a pannier rack). Their quick-connect mechanism is okay too, quite simplistic and under-engineered which is arguably a strong selling point. Their range, including baskets, separate quick-connect mechanism, etc., is visible here. I'm not sure that ChainReactionCycles has the best prices for Topeak stuff, I just chose their link as they sell quite a wide range of Topeak kit.

This one looks good, herself insists it has to be a handlebar mounted basket when I suggested a backpack :)

28860.jpg
    http://www.topeak.com/products/baskets/BasketFront?WYSESSID=k6dfvh84k1q6tr5nfkbsgi68p0

Reviews here say there is no 3rd point of attachment, weird.
    http://www.amazon.com/Topeak-66002001-Front-Bicycle-Basket/dp/B000FIAU3E

However, the attachment is not very good. The attachment works in two ways. First it grips the handlebar. This holds the basket in place, but it does not keep it from tilting down when you put something somewhat heavy in it.

I don't know what they were thinking. The bracket attaches to the handle bars, but there is no third point of attachment, so it forms a pivot or hinge. Even if you screw it down tight it will still sag until it hits your front wheel or fender. I am going to put something between the stem and the back of the basket to keep this from happening, but you would think they could have figured this out themselves.

This one has a third bracket http://www.amazon.co.uk/Model-Wire-Front-Basket-Bracket/dp/B001GM98A4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=sports&qid=1299506330&sr=8-2-spell but everyone says to tie it down with cable ties, well I have plenty of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭peterjmaxwell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

biko wrote: »
    I find myself in the same situation now.
    Have looked at the shop across from Travelodge on Tuam Road but selection wasn't good.
    Where else in Galway can I find baskets? I can buy online but just want to make sure the basket will fit the bike so a shop is better.

Sorry about the bump btw.
    Have a nose around in the Halford bike section - some decent enough baskets in there I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Went with the Halfords Wire Bike Basket with Fitting Kit in the end, it comes with brackets which fits under the handlebar stem to stop it from tilting forward, we'll see.
    http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_761669_langId_-1_categoryId_212476

Advertisement