Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

08-02-2019, 20:37   #76
kingshankly

Do we not just have windy days anymore instead of giving everything a title
Advertisement
08-02-2019, 20:41   #77
Pops_20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingshankly View Post
Do we not just have windy days anymore instead of giving everything a title
We do. We had some last week. You may have forgot because they weren't named.
10-02-2019, 11:57   #78
Gaoth Laidir

There should be no Yellow warning. Just go straight to Orange and Red.

By their own definition, a Yellow just means

Quote:
Weather Alert – Be Aware

The concept behind YELLOW level weather alerts is to notify those who are at risk because of their location and/or activity, and to allow them to take preventative action. It is implicit that YELLOW level weather alerts are for weather conditions that do not pose an immediate threat to the general population, but only to those exposed to risk by nature of their location and/or activity.
I would take that to mean for a general audience there is no need for them to be aware. Only certain activities need know about the conditions, but these people will be more tuned to forecasts anyway. Putting a general Yellow warning out there just leads to the nonsense we've seen time and time again. A general descriptive forecast, highlighting that it will be windy, wet, etc., will inform the public as far as is required while at the same time raising awareness among that small minority of activities/locations.
(3) thanks from:
10-02-2019, 13:56   #79
Carol25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaoth Laidir View Post

I would take that to mean for a general audience there is no need for them to be aware. Only certain activities need know about the conditions, but these people will be more tuned to forecasts anyway. Putting a general Yellow warning out there just leads to the nonsense we've seen time and time again. A general descriptive forecast, highlighting that it will be windy, wet, etc., will inform the public as far as is required while at the same time raising awareness among that small minority of activities/locations.
I disagree. Yellow warning wind speeds can be significant, and are useful for me living just inland from the sea in Galway. We now secure the trampoline and take down the net for a yellow wind warning which works well as we nearly lost it one night during a yellow warning when we didn’t do this! It’s also useful to know it’s not ‘just a windy day’, of which there are many here when deciding what or where to go with my two young boys. As someone who’s in a hurry, a quick scout of the weather app and seeing a yellow warning helps no end instead of having to delve into the forecast specificis to my area and try and ascertain where and when the winds will increase/decrease.
(2) thanks from:
11-02-2019, 11:39   #80
Graces7

It seems reading the thread that there is nothing wrong with the warning system except the folk who accuse it. ie people do not read it properly as many have said here.

Storm Callum gets mentioned. as a non event? It was always forecast to
be a west coast severe gale as it was in fact. Not a national event.

https://www.midwestradio.ie/index.ph...rm-callum-hits

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/envi...ages-1.3661276

We were badly hit here; not as bad as Erik but not far off.

The scornful perception by those not in the areas met ie forecast is not the fault of the warning . which was just about right and appreciated.

Also met ie have a hard task they do well. Were they to downplay? They have to err on the side of caution for public safety. So children are not left stranded at schools etc.

Forecasting is not ever an exact science.
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
12-02-2019, 11:22   #81
Kamili

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graces7 View Post
It seems reading the thread that there is nothing wrong with the warning system except the folk who accuse it. ie people do not read it properly as many have said here.
I wholeheartedly agree here. however it doesn't help when they themselves contradict their own warning/advisory system, I've pointed this out before on their own website previously.

I heard one of their more well known forecasters over the weekend in a sound bite on the radio saying there are wind warnings in place, when in fact there yellow wind advisories.

This particular forecaster tends to play everything up and doesn't stick to the advisory vs warning anyway so this feeds the media.
12-02-2019, 12:02   #82
odyboody

What was wrong with the old "a gale warning is in place for *****"
this mean that people that are affected by the conditions and are listening out for the warning have been notified and can tack action.
The general public have an impression, Oh its going to be windy, and get on with things.
There was never any hype on local or national radio for a gale warning.
12-02-2019, 12:18   #83
blanch152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaoth Laidir View Post

I would disagree with that.

How often over the years do we have accidents involving people stranded at sea or on mountains because of bad weather. Yellow warnings are designed for such activities. If it stops one idiot it works.
12-02-2019, 14:38   #84
Graces7

NB Ophelia did not touch us here in Mayo but no one here is claiming it was a non event as we escaped. Turned right at Clare and hit the midlands... \we were very glad to escape it.
Advertisement
01-04-2019, 18:30   #85
Mount Vesuvius

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/statu...877377541?s=19
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size