Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Simple wedding 2019

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Benny122

But if we have to get married here first then what’s the point in eloping to Canada?

I have heard recently even people getting married in a church have to go through some service first before the church

I’m just wondering if we marry in Canada is it recognized in Ireland

We wouldn’t have an Irish marriage cert then

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Of course you can get married in Canada and have it legally recognised. Your mother is probably just trying to discourage you from eloping. You just need to follow the local procedures, which will probably vary province-by-province.

There are three types of ceremony: A religious one (in a church or with some religious elements), a civil one (performed by the HSE) or a secular one (such as a Humanist ceremony). You have to register your intent to marry with the HSE no matter what type of ceremony you want, assuming you're getting married in Ireland.

If you get married in Canada, you'll just need to let the Irish government know (presumably by registering your marriage once you get back, but someone else can speak more to that than I can).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Some countries are hard to organise to get married in, if you don’t live there. Some places are very easy- I don’t know about Canada, but google will tell you!
    If you go and get married in Vegas, it’s legal and recognisable, because you’re following their local procedure.
    I know people who have had weddings overseas (as in, with family present, not eloping), but because the legal side of things was hard to arrange, they just did a quick legal ceremony here before or after, and had a symbolic ceremony abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Fina82

Hi, it's me back again. We finally desided to get married in the registry office and then go for lunch at a hotel. After we are taking a plane to warmer climates to see my family that wouldn't be able to came.

My question is about photographers and videographers. Is there anywere I can check for them? I will only need them for 2 hours and I don't want the videos edited. I don't have a 1000 euros to spend on that, I only wante the video because my mam is going to miss it 😭😭😭.

Any advise is much much appreciated 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I think just have a look at some wedding forums/websites for links to photographers websites, then contact the ones you like and ask them for availability and a quote for what you're looking for. My wedding was similar to yours, we had a photographer for 3 hours if I remember correctly.. during the ceremony, then some family pics after, and then pics of us and some of the family in a nice park. It was more than enough, but I'm glad we didn't just rely on guests taking photos, the photographer was great. Not all photographers were interested in doing this as it wasn't a full day's work for them, you'll probably have to contact a few before you find someone. We didn't have videos, but it's probably the same for that.

• Advertisement

Fina82, do you mind me asking if there was much of a wait for a date to get married? I.e. was the registrar busy/very booked up?

miezekatze wrote: »
    I think just have a look at some wedding forums/websites for links to photographers websites, then contact the ones you like and ask them for availability and a quote for what you're looking for. My wedding was similar to yours, we had a photographer for 3 hours if I remember correctly.. during the ceremony, then some family pics after, and then pics of us and some of the family in a nice park. It was more than enough, but I'm glad we didn't just rely on guests taking photos, the photographer was great. Not all photographers were interested in doing this as it wasn't a full day's work for them, you'll probably have to contact a few before you find someone. We didn't have videos, but it's probably the same for that.

Thanks for the info, I will have a look 😊

jlm29 wrote: »
    Fina82, do you mind me asking if there was much of a wait for a date to get married? I.e. was the registrar busy/very booked up?

Hi, when we decide what we wanted to do we called the Registry Office and ask if the date we wanted was possible, we book our anniversary date and time and then went to do the paperwork, you have to start the paperwork minimum 3 months before your wedding day, I don't know if this answer your question?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

OP, have a look at 'elopement' packages, usually they are packages that include less hours of coverage for the photographer (usually just the ceremony and a some official shots afterwards). Be aware though that the cost savings of less time shooting doesn't necessarily translate to a hugely different price. the photographer still has to block off your day from other weddings, pay for travel, insurance, gear, all that stuff.

OP, have a look at 'elopement' packages, usually they are packages that include less hours of coverage for the photographer (usually just the ceremony and a some official shots afterwards). Be aware though that the cost savings of less time shooting doesn't necessarily translate to a hugely different price. the photographer still has to block off your day from other weddings, pay for travel, insurance, gear, all that stuff.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Fina82 wrote: »
    Hi, when we decide what we wanted to do we called the Registry Office and ask if the date we wanted was possible, we book our anniversary date and time and then went to do the paperwork, you have to start the paperwork minimum 3 months before your wedding day, I don't know if this answer your question?

It’s more that I’m wondering if I decided I wanted to get married ASAP, how booked up the registry office gets. I know about the three months notice bit, but I’ve heard that I’m some offices you can wait way longer than 3 months for a slot to marry. Obviously I know that it varies from place to place, and the only way to actually find out is to ring around them, but I was just curious to know what your experience was

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

It’s more that I’m wondering if I decided I wanted to get married ASAP, how booked up the registry office gets. I know about the three months notice bit, but I’ve heard that I’m some offices you can wait way longer than 3 months for a slot to marry. Obviously I know that it varies from place to place, and the only way to actually find out is to ring around them, but I was just curious to know what your experience was

I think unless you're set on a specific date or you want a Friday wedding, this is not really an issue. I got married in the Dublin office last year and called 4 or 5 months earlier to be safe, was no issue at all, I was able to get the time and date I wanted. Fridays are booked up a long time in advance though, and Thursdays seem busier too.

miezekatze wrote: »
    I think unless you're set on a specific date or you want a Friday wedding, this is not really an issue. I got married in the Dublin office last year and called 4 or 5 months earlier to be safe, was no issue at all, I was able to get the time and date I wanted. Fridays are booked up a long time in advance though, and Thursdays seem busier too.

Thanks. That’s what I thought. I spoke to someone in one of the offices that you can make an appointment to give your intent to marry in earlier, but there’s no solomniser based there, so she was very vague on the timescales, but told me that she thinks they’re “very busy”. I don’t think she grasped that I’ll get married at 10am on a Tuesday or whenever though, so I just wondered what other peoples experience was.

Sorry, I though I had answered 😊. I adk in a registry in other town but they only did ceremonies on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. The dat we wanted to get Married is on a Tuesday so we contacted an other one that did. I think that if you want to get married on a Friday or Saturday will be harder to get a date

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭PinkLady2016

Fina82 wrote: »
    We live in Meath

Try the Conyngham Arms in Slane. I'm having a small wedding 45 people and that is for us the perfect venue for a small wedding. Its €51 per head for the meal.

Advertisement