Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Info] Sleep Clinics in Ireland/Sleep disorders

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Yenwod

So I bit the bullet and made an appointment ... next appointment is Jan 29th. Is there anybody in Ireland actually sleeping??? :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 1,025 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Yenwod wrote: »
    Is there anybody in Ireland actually sleeping???
    Can't speak for Ireland. America is fitful with Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

My sleep study came back normal so it’s either narcolepsy or cataplexy. It’s not everyday too, some days are fine. Don’t know where to go from here.

I’m 24/32 in the waist/leg and 49kg weight

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 1,025 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

My sleep study came back normal so it’s either narcolepsy or cataplexy. It’s not everyday too, some days are fine. Don’t know where to go from here.

I’m 24/32 in the waist/leg and 49kg weight
    Best to consult your GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

So I bit the bullet and made an appointment ... next appointment is Jan 29th. Is there anybody in Ireland actually sleeping??? :D

Let me know how this goes for you. Could you PM me with how you made the appointment, did you need a referral?
    I am going to try CBT first.

• Advertisement

mada82 wrote: »
    Let me know how this goes for you. Could you PM me with how you made the appointment, did you need a referral?
    I am going to try CBT first.
    PM sent

Sleep study in two weeks - hope I actually sleep some so they can get some readings :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Philster

Would you be able to give me a ballpark figure on how much the sleep study cost in the Mater Private? I have been referred there but my insurance will only cover 35% of it and I suspect I will not be able to afford the other 65%. I don't want to bother getting an appointment with the consultant and pay their fee is there is no way I can afford the test

I had my sleep studies there almost 2 weeks ago. My insurance covered 45% so the balance for me (excess and shortfall for 1 night) was E410. Consultant was covered for the inpatient stay. Had paid E300 to her for my first consultation earlier that week. Have to go in again this Sunday for CPAP so another 410. They did offer me the outpatient route (approx 210) for CPAP but that sounded too disjointed, whereas going in for Sunday afternoon, night and most of Monday, I'll be sent home with everything set up. I found the experience very positive so far.

PM sent

Sleep study in two weeks - hope I actually sleep some so they can get some readings :-D
    They won't tell you this when you go in, but if they can get even 1 hour unbroken sleep it will probably be enough. I found the equipment fine to sleep with. They bring you in early to get used to it before having to try and sleep with it.

Philster wrote: »
    I had my sleep studies there almost 2 weeks ago. My insurance covered 45% so the balance for me (excess and shortfall for 1 night) was E410. Consultant was covered for the inpatient stay. Had paid E300 to her for my first consultation earlier that week. Have to go in again this Sunday for CPAP so another 410. They did offer me the outpatient route (approx 210) for CPAP but that sounded too disjointed, whereas going in for Sunday afternoon, night and most of Monday, I'll be sent home with everything set up. I found the experience very positive so far.
    Yeah I rang my insurance and I'm 99% sure they said they covered 35% (although I no longer have any trust in my sleep deprived brain) but when I rang the Accounts Dept in the Mater, they said my scheme covers 45% so yeah, got same price for shortfall etc. Bit of a relief, thought it would be more. That's also good to know about having to go back in if CPAP is the solution!

They won't tell you this when you go in, but if they can get even 1 hour unbroken sleep it will probably be enough. I found the equipment fine to sleep with. They bring you in early to get used to it before having to try and sleep with it.
    That's really good to know, thanks. I went for a sleep study in the Bons about 8 yrs ago and it came back clear. However, I got no sleep - very noisy corridor, light on in the room so the nurse could check if the wires were still all in place...! I was woozy leaving the hospital as I had gotten no sleep! This time I will be armed with a sleep mask and my own pillow :D

Thanks for the info!!

Yeah I rang my insurance and I'm 99% sure they said they covered 35% (although I no longer have any trust in my sleep deprived brain) but when I rang the Accounts Dept in the Mater, they said my scheme covers 45% so yeah, got same price for shortfall etc. Bit of a relief, thought it would be more. That's also good to know about having to go back in if CPAP is the solution!

That's really good to know, thanks. I went for a sleep study in the Bons about 8 yrs ago and it came back clear. However, I got no sleep - very noisy corridor, light on in the room so the nurse could check if the wires were still all in place...! I was woozy leaving the hospital as I had gotten no sleep! This time I will be armed with a sleep mask and my own pillow :D

Thanks for the info!!
    Ah that's good to hear and in fairness they did give me the outpatients option to try and keep costs down. But with my sleep deprived brain at the moment I preferred to pay the extra bit and take my time and know exactly what's what going home. Can't wait to start and feel human again.

The sleep studies rooms are at the back of the Mater Private and in a low footfall place so virtually no noise at all. I brought my pillow too :pac::cool:

ETA: BTW none of my business who your consultant is but if her initials are EP, if you go in for your studies on a Sunday night she will see you in person the next day with results and go through them in detail. AFAIK if you go in any of the other nights you may not see her the next day and get the results by phone which makes it more awkward if you want to ask questions. She's very nice and didn't mind how may questions I asked.

Ah that's good to hear and in fairness they did give me the outpatients option to try and keep costs down. But with my sleep deprived brain at the moment I preferred to pay the extra bit and take my time and know exactly what's what going home. Can't wait to start and feel human again.

The sleep studies rooms are at the back of the Mater Private and in a low footfall place so virtually no noise at all. I brought my pillow too :pac::cool:
    I know the feeling - hope the CPAP starts working for you. Imagine going through the day with a full nights sleep :eek: amazing!!

• Advertisement

Results of sleep study are back and I done have apnea. I should probably be happier than I am but at this stage, I am cracking up with the tiredness.

What was weird is they recorded Stage 1, 2 & 3 sleep but no REM sleep. That has been put down to medication I’m on. However, I remember having a lot of dreams the night of the sleep study and I always have a lot of dreams nightly.

Don’t know if there is any point going back for a follow up consultantion. Too expensive anyway :’(

What was weird is they recorded Stage 1, 2 & 3 sleep but no REM sleep. (
    No REM? Thought that always occurred. Guess there's special conditions when it doesn't.

ETA: BTW none of my business who your consultant is but if her initials are EP, if you go in for your studies on a Sunday night she will see you in person the next day with results and go through them in detail. AFAIK if you go in any of the other nights you may not see her the next day and get the results by phone which makes it more awkward if you want to ask questions. She's very nice and didn't mind how may questions I asked.

Sorry, only noticed this add-on now, thanks. I got my results but by letter so follow up questions mean making another appointment; don’t know whether to bother although have a couple.

Fathom wrote: »
    No REM? Thought that always occurred. Guess there's special conditions when it doesn't.
    Yeah I duno? Maybe if I’m not getting REM sleep, that would explain my tiredness ?? Consultant didn’t say anything specifically about it really though, obviously thought it was just that night?

Yeah I duno? Maybe if I’m not getting REM sleep, that would explain my tiredness ?? Consultant didn’t say anything specifically about it really though, obviously thought it was just that night?
    "Studies have shown that when people are deprived of REM sleep, they are not able to remember what they were taught before going to sleep. Lack of REM sleep has also been linked to certain health conditions, including migraines."

Fathom wrote: »
    "Studies have shown that when people are deprived of REM sleep, they are not able to remember what they were taught before going to sleep. Lack of REM sleep has also been linked to certain health conditions, including migraines."

My memory is on the floor lately and I suffer migraines, have had 3 in the past couple of weeks. Interesting...!

Sorry, only noticed this add-on now, thanks. I got my results but by letter so follow up questions mean making another appointment; don’t know whether to bother although have a couple.
    Sorry you didn't really get any answers. At least if it was apnoea you'd have an answer and a treatment. Good luck with getting more answers :)

Advertisement