Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ironman-Distance Training & Talk day 28th March @9am

Options
  • 12-03-2015 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Ironman-Distance Training & Talk day 28th March @9am beside the Phoenix park
    This day is aimed at those stepping up to IM for the first time and those who have done an IM but need to wrinkle out some problems they've had during training or the race day of an IM.

The day will consist of;
    1) IM course specific turbo with an IM specific brick run (AM session) Approx 4hrs
    2) Lunch (30min)
    3) Talks on Nutrition for training & Racing, Recovery, Mental & emotional Prep, Race week prep. ( PM session) Approx 3hrs

The cost of the day will be e20 (which is specifically for rental of the premises)
    It will run from 9am til 4.30pm
    To book your place and for more information, email: nobby1972@gmail.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Think you might get alot more takers if you explain who nobby1972@gmail.com is.

I know who Neil is and his history, experience and qualifications, others would not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

tunney wrote: »
    I know who Neil is and his history, experience and qualifications, others would not.

+1, understated as always from Neil, but for those thinking of going long, or going long this year or next I think this could only be money and time very well spent.

aside: Its not on the agenda but Im sure a set of boxing gloves and pads could make an appearance ;) Best of luck with this Neil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Just to push Neil aka hunkymonkey a bit more;
    He's about 16 stone and still ran a faster marathon than Charles Maltha at IM Barcalona last October. I've often sought advice off him, and when it comes to nutrition and race preparation he knows his sh!t. I'd highly recommend the day to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

zico10 wrote: »
    Just to push Neil aka hunkymonkey a bit more;
    He's about 16 stone and still ran a faster marathon than Charles Maltha at IM Barcalona last October. I've often sought advice off him, and when it comes to nutrition and race preparation he knows his sh!t. I'd highly recommend the day to anyone.

Ahhh didn't realise hunkeymonkey was the man himself. Definitely echo all Zico said.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭hunkymonkey

Thanks for the vote of confidence lads! :-)
    My CV consists of going quite slow in some races with no deceleration.

To me relatively fast ironman completion is about steady state effort over the 3 disciplines. Racing ironman is different, this day is not about that. This requires a different mindset to normal triathlon racing, whether that be in training or on the day. I'd like to pass on information I've gotten from others over the years like Ciaran Cassidy & Alan Ryan to name a few, who given me advice.

I'm a facilitator on the day, as there are proper (ie fast) IM'ers helping out too.

The reason for the day is ensure that people stay focused on the basics, whatever they are :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭LCD

Got advice from Neil back in my early days & have the utmost respect for him. He knows his stuff, though I must confess though I never used the Ensure. It echoed my dad's advice of Complan too closely.

Reminder of the training & talk day taking place.
    A few questions I've had re the day.
    You can attend either part of it, the training in the am or the just the talks in the pm.
    If your training for HIM, you can along too, I've a HIM specific set but the talks in afternoon will be focused on IM but there is a lot of crossover between the two.
    For details email nobby1972@gmail.com

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Do we have to tell you if we're just doing the afternoon? :) may work better for me to just go to talks....

That's grand.
    Fassaugh Ave, Dublin
    http://goo.gl/maps/0ncTs
    It's beside Naomh Fionnbarra GAA club, shares the same grounds.
    There is plenty of parking.

Advertisement